Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are moving along nicely! great corals to add, I’m tempted to get GSP if my local LFS has it in.

Thanks! I'm a big fan of the GSP so far. I love the colors, and the "fuzzy" look it has. Of course, I might like it a bit less once it takes over. It doesn't seem to me like it would cause many issues with overgrowing softies, only with SPS and LPS. Given that my tank will only have a few of those, I'm not too worried about GSP world domination.

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, love the new tank!
Second, what is the algae that looks like small lily pads on the left/top side rock? Love that

Thanks! I believe that the algae is called Acetabularia. Since I took that picture, much of it has either died off or been eaten by the CUC. I only have three individual stems left now.

Avast
OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Anemone_Fanatic did you come up with a Refugium solution? I’ve been thinking about using the sock compartment as one, by removing the sock further from the overflow compartment and putting a light there. How are the fish, did they all settle in?

@robdallimore I haven't yet figured out a solution. I'm currently deciding whether I'd rather keep the skimmer, or replace it with a refugium/algae scrubber. I have yet to actually plug the skimmer in and everything looks fine, so I'm leaning towards changing it out. Unless you install a HOB refugium or plumb one in from a separate tank, I don't think there's a way to have both. All the fish are doing great, thanks for asking. Planning on adding a trio of damselfish in a few weeks to keep them company and add some blue.

Nick1423

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever come up with a solution? I’m hoping I don’t need to upgrade sump before I build..
@Anemone_Fanatic did you come up with a Refugium solution? I’ve been thinking about using the sock compartment as one, by removing the sock further from the overflow compartment and putting a light there. How are the fish, did they all settle in?

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever come up with a solution? I’m hoping I don’t need to upgrade sump before I build..

Welcome to the ProStar 90 club! Unfortunately, I think that the best thing to do is to replace the skimmer with a refugium. I haven't done this yet (nor am I sure that I will) but it should give you a refugium chamber of around 3-4 gallons, which is enough for a tank this big, if a little on the small side. Hope this helps!

robdallimore

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0636.jpeg
This is my refugium. removed left filter sock, and put a cheap grow light on. Chaeto is growing very quickly

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaaannnd Update Time!

1683985717594.png

Not much has been going on recently. I've been busy with other things, so the tank has been on "cruise control". I've seen some coral growth (a few mushrooms have split, and the GSP has grown maybe 1/3" in every direction) and the fish are doing well. The bubble algae hasn't spread that much, but I'm still wary of a potential takeover. The coralline growth is out of control. Most of it is the dark red stuff, so I'm not complaining. I've also seen pistol shrimp quite frequently. One of them has gotten big enough that it'd fit in quite well at a crawfish boil.

Nice feather duster worm, these guys are all over. Makes me want to try a full-sized one. Not sure if it'd be as happy eating leftovers though, and I really don't have the time/patience to do frequent spot-feeding.
1683986607674.png

In the next few weeks, I'm thinking that I'll add some more stuff. I'm thinking about trying a small school of 4-5 chromis, but I'm worried about them picking each other off. Instead, I'm probably going to try to do a similar thing with a mix of springeri, azure, and Rolland's damsels. I don't believe they'll school, but they'd give some activity to the tank. I went snorkeling in the Caribbean recently, and I saw a big stand of gorgonians in shallow water, interspersed with brain corals and sponges. It looked pretty neat, so I'll be adding a few of those in. Probably a BTA as well. The clownfish are trying to host the GSP, but it keeps retracting whenever they get close to it. Poor things want their anemone, and with the tank almost 5.5 months old, I think that it'd work.

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens
Back