Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered my 4k. Have you made any changes to the tank/sump? Obvious one is the small ATO reservoir, I’ve ordered a 6 gallon reservoir to feed the standard 2 gallon one.

I haven't made any major modifications, aside from the ATO. I did replace the metal hose clamps on the return end with zip ties to prevent rust, but I haven't made any changes which required serious alterations. Good to see that you ordered the 4k, it's a great powerhead. Mine does look a little like an anemone blender, so I would very much suggest guards.

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update # 18: Getting there!

1673217650265.png

Been a few minutes since the last update, so here we go! Things are going pretty well by my consideration. There is certainly less algae than there was a while ago, so that's good. I almost picked up a toadstool frag at my local store, but I decided against it. There was no visible aiptasia on the coral itself, but there were some in the tank, and I want to be careful. Tank isn't big enough for a CBB, so I'll try my best to keep aiptasia out of my system. I'm also not sure if the algae is quite gone enough to add anything like that, or if the tank is established. I will do a water change soon, as quick as I can find a 5 gallon bucket. I got a bunch with the tank, but they all went missing a while ago, and I can't find them. I imagine they'll show up eventually. I want to add some fish soon, but I think it's still too cold to order anything. It hasn't been snowing much, but it's better to be safe than sorry. I can't quarantine fish for myself and my stores can't do it either, so I'm stuck ordering from DrReef, TSM, and Seahorse Savvy. Pity too, as my local store also had some pink smith damsels and lawnmower blennies when I was there yesterday. I might try to do @Paul B 's method, but I don't have the patience to raise whiteworms for my fish. I'm also really scared of velvet and uronema. Thoughts? I like the idea of just picking up fish at the local store and popping them in the tank, but I'm not sure if it's right for me.

Avast
OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever figure out the noise issue with the spiral overflow plug?

Sort of. It got quieter over time, but I also added a little bit more water to the tank. It isn't a big deal for me, I don't mind the noise that much, though. It is still the loudest noise in the room, but it isn't that bad. I would still suggest the tank and the plumbing that comes with it, but if you really don't want any noise, I might be prepared to do some modification.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered my first three fish! Two orange skunk clownfish and a royal gramma, all from Dr. Reef. Can't wait until they get here! Cleaner shrimp need some help eating all the food I put in the tank, after all. I am horrible at defrosting the right amount of food, there's always some extra blowing around when the shrimp are done.

1673745361337.png
1673745378757.png
1673745396579.png

(Not my pictures)

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity 1.024. Just where I want it.
Nitrate test showing 0.5. I'm kind of dubious about this one. I know I followed all the instructions correctly, but this does seem strange. Is it possible that the algae in the tank has been taking it in, or that my 5 gallon WC had such a strong affect? Either way, I'm not complaining. I guess that I won't need to do another water change for a while. Tank has been up for almost two months now, and I think that I might add some coral soon.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a list of fish that you want to have, or selecting as you go? Fish you have ordered look great! Which Nitrate test are you using?

I don't have a really defined list, but I have a vague idea. I'm planning for about ten in total, with six being flasher/fairy wrasses and the tenth a damsel. Maybe a small tang at some point. My list will probably change in time, but because I have to order online (local stores don't quarantine), impulse buying shouldn't be that much of a factor. I'm using a Tropic Marin test kit, so my nitrate numbers should be fairly accurate.

pinocchio

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Anemone_Fanatic @robdallimore Would either of you mind posting some pics of your modified ATO/under cabinet setup? I just ordered my ProStar 90 and would love to see what you guys did to get some ideas. I'll be purchasing equipment over the next few weeks. Is there anything you'd recommend specifically for this tank? I'm planning on starting with the stuff Anemone_Fanatic has went with although I am considering maybe going the 2 powerheads route.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

robdallimore

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@pinocchio Congrats on the purchase! Here is a pic of my ATO set up. I have kept the original 2 gallon ATO, but now feed that from a Proclear 6 gallon ATO reservoir. I’m using Hydros Controller to automatically pump from reservoir to original ATO, and have optical sensors to control this
63E0F371-2F90-4020-AF84-AB3A93F4FAA5.jpeg

pinocchio

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@pinocchio Congrats on the purchase! Here is a pic of my ATO set up. I have kept the original 2 gallon ATO, but now feed that from a Proclear 6 gallon ATO reservoir. I’m using Hydros Controller to automatically pump from reservoir to original ATO, and have optical sensors to control this
View attachment 2983127

@robdallimore Awesome, thanks for the photo! I just got my tank delivered today! I purchased a mat that I was going to put between tank and stand, but since there is such a large opening for the piping I might not. Did you use any type of mat for yours? I heard it's good practice to do for rimless tanks.

Avast
OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Anemone_Fanatic @robdallimore Would either of you mind posting some pics of your modified ATO/under cabinet setup? I just ordered my ProStar 90 and would love to see what you guys did to get some ideas. I'll be purchasing equipment over the next few weeks. Is there anything you'd recommend specifically for this tank? I'm planning on starting with the stuff Anemone_Fanatic has went with although I am considering maybe going the 2 powerheads route.

This is what I have. Don't be too inspired by my cable management and salt creep, my stand could use some work. Congrats on the new tank! I would recommend two powerheads. One is enough, but two is always better.

1675715281936.png

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 19: Progress

Been a few seconds since my last update, and for good reason. Not much has really changed in the last few weeks. I held off on confirming my fish order because it's gotten really cold in New England. Got to -15 where I was at, so I thought it wise to wait out the storm. Now that it's a little warmer out, I finished the order and am expecting the fish in late February. The only other update that I have is that something has been eating my emerald crabs. I'm pretty sure it's a mantis, so I have my work cut out ahead of me. For now, here's some pictures of the tank and some of the hitchhikers I've got, good and bad.

1675716554692.png

FTS. Algae on and near the ocean rock is on the decline, but growing on the other half of the tank with the fake rock.

1675716688635.png

End picture. Some macroalgae growth, as well as coralline and sponges.

1675716766314.png

Tunicate. Doesn't show in the picture, but actually kind of a lemon-yellow color.

1675716908657.png

Bubble algae. This is popping up everywhere, but I need to wait until the mantis is out to add pitho and emerald crabs.

1675716994949.png

Pencil urchin. I love these guys, and it does such a good job eating algae. It stays within about 4 square inches of rock, but that area is sparkling clean. It's only a baby now, but I imagine it'll be a formidable cleaner when it gets a little bigger. It has some nice reds and whites on it that aren't visible in the picture.

1675717143600.png

Pistol shrimp lair.

1675717223650.png

Purple sea squirt. Just noticed it yesterday.

1675717331851.png

Shrimp photobombing an astrea snail. The snail is one of two that came in on the rock, and they put my store-bought trochus to shame. They eat more algae, and they don't get stuck on their backs.

My overall goals for the tank have shifted slightly. I want the tank to have a greater focus on being enjoyable and easy to care for, and that means that I may cut out hard corals entirely. That would leave me with just anemones and softies, but it might also allow me to add an angelfish. If I did this, I would also add some invertebrates that can damage delicate corals, such as long-spine urchins and sea stars. Maybe a filefish too, but I don't want to get ahead of myself.

BRS

robdallimore

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great update and congrats on the progress! Probably good move to hold off on fish order. Did you remove the OEM ATO altogether? That would give more access space above sump, but i wanted to keep it to boost my overall ATO volume. Interesting to see where you are with algae, i have algae growing, mainly cyano (I think!) so hoping my CUC will do its job! Its really interesting to see your set up as its seems to be behaving very similar to mine, just a month or so ahead!

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great update and congrats on the progress! Probably good move to hold off on fish order. Did you remove the OEM ATO altogether? That would give more access space above sump, but i wanted to keep it to boost my overall ATO volume. Interesting to see where you are with algae, i have algae growing, mainly cyano (I think!) so hoping my CUC will do its job! Its really interesting to see your set up as its seems to be behaving very similar to mine, just a month or so ahead!

Thanks! I did indeed get rid of the smaller ATO. I decided that I was fine with just the one. Where I am, the ambient humidity is high, so evaporation occurs very slowly. If I fill my ATO all the way, it lasts a week or two. My biggest issue with the algae is dictyota. It has proven to be unpalatable for my snails, so I need to use manual removal to keep it down. Every week or so, I just pull all the large clumps out with a pair of tweezers. Good to hear that your tank is doing well.

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

AF
Back