Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm upgrading my 36 gallon cube to a standard 90 (48x18x24) in June, and wanted some feedback on a potential stocking list I have planned out.

Fish I already have in the 36 (will all be moving to the 90)

2x darwin ocellaris clowns (Amphiprion ocellaris)

1x Lavender-blushed dartfish (Nemateleotris lavandula)

1x Longnose Hawkfish (Oxycirrhites typus)

1x African Flameback Angelfish (Centropyge acanthops)

Additional Fish I want to add to the 90 (Ranked in order of how much I want them)

1x Mitratus Butterflyfish (Chaetodon mitratus)

1x Pintail Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus isosceles)

1x Naoko Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus naokoae)

I'm not sure if this list is pushing it in a 90. I just wanted a little more open water action which is what I'm hoping the wrasses would provide. Additionally, they would be added at the same time to minimize aggression. I've heard that both of these wrasses can be quite assertive so I'm hoping that means they should be able to hold their own against each other.

Nutramar Foods

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm upgrading my 36 gallon cube to a standard 90 (48x18x24) in June, and wanted some feedback on a potential stocking list I have planned out.

Fish I already have in the 36 (will all be moving to the 90)

2x darwin ocellaris clowns (Amphiprion ocellaris)

1x Lavender-blushed dartfish (Nemateleotris lavandula)

1x Longnose Hawkfish (Oxycirrhites typus)

1x African Flameback Angelfish (Centropyge acanthops)

Additional Fish I want to add to the 90 (Ranked in order of how much I want them)

1x Mitratus Butterflyfish (Chaetodon mitratus)

1x Pintail Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus isosceles)

1x Naoko Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus naokoae)

I'm not sure if this list is pushing it in a 90. I just wanted a little more open water action which is what I'm hoping the wrasses would provide. Additionally, they would be added at the same time to minimize aggression. I've heard that both of these wrasses can be quite assertive so I'm hoping that means they should be able to hold their own against each other.
In a 90G you should have a perfect amount of room for those guys and maybe if you keep to the smaller fish (3-4”) you’ll likely have room for 6-7 more.

Also I’d love to see a photo of your lavandula. I forgot those guys existed in the Nemateleotris genus.

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously a butterfly is a danger for corals. I would not call those wrasse sensitive. In fact they are some of the easier wrasse out there. I'd also say that you can get far more fish then that. I'd get a halichoeres wrasse like an iridis or earmuff as they are great fish and may keep pests under control if you worry about that.

Other fish I'd suggest is a basslet and potentially even more wrasse such as Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis and maybe an actually sensitive wrasse like a macropharyngodon if you can find a healthy one.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Cheese Griller

Cheese Griller

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously a butterfly is a danger for corals. I would not call those wrasse sensitive. In fact they are some of the easier wrasse out there. I'd also say that you can get far more fish then that. I'd get a halichoeres wrasse like an iridis or earmuff as they are great fish and may keep pests under control if you worry about that.

Other fish I'd suggest is a basslet and potentially even more wrasse such as Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis and maybe an actually sensitive wrasse like a macropharyngodon if you can find a healthy one.
I'm totally up for the risk with corals - I've already got the flameback in there so if either of them get a taste for corals it is what it is. And sorry for any confusion - I was saying I've heard anecdotal evidence that the two wrasses I listed could be assertive or aggressive. I'm not super worried about pests, but love the look of halichoeres wrasses so would love to grab one of those as well. As far as other wrasses go i've always wanted a Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis, so if that's compatible with the other fish listed I'd be very excited to add one to the list! Leopard wrasses were also on my radar, but like you said I'd need to find a healthy one so if I can find an acceptable blue star i'll absolutely throw one in the mix. Finally, basslets have always interested me, especially gramma dejongi. Now that you can get them captive bred from biota, I may see if I can grab a pair in the new year after my bonus comes in :)

OP
OP
Cheese Griller

Cheese Griller

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 90G you should have a perfect amount of room for those guys and maybe if you keep to the smaller fish (3-4”) you’ll likely have room for 6-7 more.

Also I’d love to see a photo of your lavandula. I forgot those guys existed in the Nemateleotris genus.
That's great that I have some more room than I anticipated! I was just worried that since the wrasses are so active they may limit my stocking capabilities.

I've attached a photo of my Lavandula, now if I could just get my hands on a true helfrichi!

Attachments

• 3D0799F9-031C-4ED4-A603-FABCB5858B29.JPG
    3D0799F9-031C-4ED4-A603-FABCB5858B29.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 12

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I suggest a Neon Cleaner Goby, or a Shark Nose Goby? They are peaceful fish, aren’t attacked by larger fish, as they provide a service to them. I was worried my Neon Cleaner Goby would get sucked into a Wave Pump or the Weir Teeth, but in four months it’s been good. They have the ability to attach themselves to rocks or the glass. Also they are Aqu-cultured.

Corals.com
OP
OP
Cheese Griller

Cheese Griller

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I suggest a Neon Cleaner Goby, or a Shark Nose Goby? They are peaceful fish, aren’t attacked by larger fish, as they provide a service to them. I was worried my Neon Cleaner Goby would get sucked into a Wave Pump or the Weir Teeth, but in four months it’s been good. They have the ability to attach themselves to rocks or the glass. Also they are Aqu-cultured.
I've always loved those little guys - will definitely be putting a small group of them on my list! Especially since they're aquacultured.

Top Shelf Aquatics

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah thats the 1 i wudnt get 1 if i was you though it hides like 99.5% of the time i never see it
You should see the one we got in from a tank break down where I work. It’s fat and looks beautiful plus it almost never hides.

Dave1993

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should see the one we got in from a tank break down where I work. It’s fat and looks beautiful plus it almost never hides.
mine only comes out for food and maybe the odd time when i go to look at him he just darts to his home i would be pretty annoyed if i bought a candy and it hid as much as my current

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Dave1993

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to a sea life centre the other day was hoping to see a black tang unfortunately did not if they had 1 i was tempted to put it in my pocket and run lol

OP
OP
Cheese Griller

Cheese Griller

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to a sea life centre the other day was hoping to see a black tang unfortunately did not if they had 1 i was tempted to put it in my pocket and run lol
They have a black tang at the LFS near me and it’s totally stunning, but it’s a bit larger at around 7”.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a Vox Angelfish, I have one, gets along with a Flameback Angelfish, Yellow Tang, and pauses for a Cleaning from my Neon Goby. The funny thing is, I can be looking right at it, and not see it. The Back of my Aquarium is Black, and it seems to appear out of nowhere.

Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
JASON FOX SIGNATURE CORALS
Back