OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

10kW Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't realize that Current USA made their own tanks. I just came from their website and to my surprise, there is a blue banner on top that says "All customer service and support is now handled by saltwateraquarium.com

Was Current purchased by saltwateraquarium.com?
Sure was. These tanks were a production line they were considering before getting bought. I picked it up from the CurrentUSA's ex-CEO's house :)

ScottD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is so the tank doors close flush with the tank glass

It was an Elos design originally, Red Sea copied it(to their detriment)

Seems CurrentUSA has used it as well
It would be so easy to make the doors 3/4” shorter and extend the top plywood out to be flush with the doors and give the front glass support.

Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t the issue with the Red Sea is that they skimped on the top support and that was causing sagging in the center of the bottom panel, further putting pressure on that front silicon?

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

10kW Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that design, the entire front pane of glass is relying solely on the silicon.

I see the weight of the pane over time putting strain on the silicon. Add to that the water pressure against the front glass.

I don't know about this. I'd probably build a new stand and use this stand to "skin" the frame of the stand I build.
I don't trust my abilities for making a stand. Talking with someone about adding a thick sheet of acrylic between the tank and stand covering the entire bottom of the tank so the front glass is resting on something.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMO ,Acrylic will bow sag on edges unless on top of ply /mat/tank in that order...

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

10kW Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO ,Acrylic will bow sag on edges unless on top of ply /mat/tank in that order...
Local has 3/8" acrylic sheet or a 15/16" acrylic sheet. Think that the 0.5" hanging over the edge would sag if the rest is all resting under the tank/above the plywood?

1727988800029.jpeg

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct me if I’m wrong
I don't know if you're wrong or right

But will say, Elos tanks have 2 sheets of glass

For their bottoms

Their newest stands, made of aluminum only touch the edges of the tank

There is nothing under the glass otherwise

I don't think there are enough of them, say relative to Red Sea tanks, where I think I have ever heard of a problem with them(but they did redesign their stands)

They are shorter than Red Sea tanks as well, 20 inches or so

As to a bottom that overhang the stand, like I said, I am putting a 3/4" HDPE sheet between the stand and the neoprene underlayment, which will lip over as you suggest

If I had the CurrentUSA the OP has, I would do the exact same thing. It is a good price for a tank that size

SCA and Glass Cages used to be the down and dirty tank makers. But Class Cages has gone premium

CurrentUSA tanks used to be premium, now down and dirty

/shrug

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Local has 3/8" acrylic sheet or a 15/16" acrylic sheet. Think that the 0.5" hanging over the edge would sag if the rest is all resting under the tank/above the plywood?

1727988800029.jpeg
Season 9 Smh GIF by The Office
John Candy No GIF by Laff
Well Done Ok GIF by funk

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back