Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tip I have heard of for pico water changes (but never tried), is to change a small amount everyday. Red Cup out, Red Cup in... It makes sense.
I like the idea, but I think the tank is just too small. It's only a gallon including the filter section. I mix up a gallon jug of saltwater every few weeks and it gets pretty cold between water changes. I would worry that I'd shock everybody dumping cold water in daily.

Also, in purely practical terms, a Dixie cup would struggle to fit into this tank. :winking-face-with-tongue: Here's a size comparison with a standard Solo party cup (16oz). If you could get that in the tank without banging into the rocks and knocking everything over, I'd be impressed! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: IMG_20230109_070045.jpg

Avast
OP
OP
AtlantiCat

AtlantiCat

That Weirdo
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update Week 5

My three final polyps arrived from SunnySide Corals: Froot Loops, Rasta, and Radioactive Dragon Eye. I got them all attached and they seem to be happy except for the Rasta, which won't open all the way for me just yet. The only problem is that now I need to rearrange the rocks because the colors are unbalanced! I will do that next weekend and post pics.

Polyps awaiting attachment.
IMG_20230111_125545.jpg

All parameters are nominal and I'm continuing dosing Phyto (and successfully cultured my own!) and doing weekly water changes.

The apparent Sexy Shrimp breeding has not resulted in a berried female that I can discern, so I guess we'll see if it happens again in the coming weeks. I have decap artemia and eggs waiting to go if it does.... :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Here are the gorgeous Dragon Eyes, which are easily the brightest polyps in the tank.IMG_20230112_104139.jpg

Having work done on the house this week, so I gotta run.

Until next week!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea, but I think the tank is just too small. It's only a gallon including the filter section. I mix up a gallon jug of saltwater every few weeks and it gets pretty cold between water changes. I would worry that I'd shock everybody dumping cold water in daily.

Also, in purely practical terms, a Dixie cup would struggle to fit into this tank. :winking-face-with-tongue: Here's a size comparison with a standard Solo party cup (16oz). If you could get that in the tank without banging into the rocks and knocking everything over, I'd be impressed! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:View attachment 2966627
Wow, that really is a small tank, pretty cool-looking tank though!!

OP
OP
AtlantiCat

AtlantiCat

That Weirdo
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update Week 8

Wow, real life really interferes with reef updates sometimes. I even missed a water change last week. o_O Fortunately, everybody seems to still be doing well and the Sexy Shrimp forgave me. :cool:

Introducing the latest from Sunnyside Corals:

Radioactive Dragon Eye
IMG_20230112_104139.jpg

Froot Loops
IMG_20230116_195036.jpg

Rasta
IMG_20230117_154653.jpg

Once I got all my polyps, I felt I had to rearrange the rocks a bit as the Aoi looked bad in the corner, but I'm not certain I improved the situation. I removed a piece of rock (and tucked it in the filter section), but the Aoi is still just too blue to look good with the rest of the polyps.

No Filter
IMG_20230205_174046.jpg

Filter
IMG_20230205_174104.jpg

Clockwise starting roughly at Midnight, they are: WWC Aoi, Safecracker, Bob Marley (tiny), Gatorade, Radioactive Dragon Eye, Sunny D, Froot Loops, and Rasta.

I think it needs something next to the Aoi, but I'm not sure what would look good and make the Aoi pop. There's a lot of orange and green in this collection and not sure I should add more. Ideas?

The only disappointment is that I have no new polyps. :confused: I add a couple drops of iodine with water changes, target feed Reef Roids, Reef Snow, and occasionally frozen Rotifers or Baby Brine one or twice a week. The Aoi is especially disappointing as it's been 2 months and not even a hint of growth. Patience, I guess....

For the record, all polyps are open, but it is impossible to get a photograph with all polyps open because the Sexy Shrimp enjoy dancing on them. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Finally, have to throw out a shoutout to my favorite polyps, the Rastas:IMG_20230205_174138.jpg

Until next update (I'd say next week, but there may be nothing to update :thinking-face::upside-down-face:)!

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great! Keep on keeping on. My "zoa garden" took a long time to hit its stride, but slow and steady wins the race! Did you ever sort anything out for the water changes? My first thought would be a 5g bucket with a lid on it with a small 25W heater, but that may or may not be ideal for you.

OP
OP
AtlantiCat

AtlantiCat

That Weirdo
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great! Keep on keeping on. My "zoa garden" took a long time to hit its stride, but slow and steady wins the race! Did you ever sort anything out for the water changes? My first thought would be a 5g bucket with a lid on it with a small 25W heater, but that may or may not be ideal for you.

Thanks! I'm really enjoying the journey, it's a unique experience.

I just mix up a 1-gallon jug of salt water once a month and store it. When I do my weekly water change, I heat it with a tiny 10-watt heater and a nano air pump to keep the water circulating. Then I break out the Triple-Ts: Turkey Baster, Tooth Brush, & Terrycloth, and go to town. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Join the movement!
Back