**!! LRO 10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY LIVE SALE! Our BEST one yet!!! FREEBIES! INSANE GIVEAWAYS!! HOT HOT CORALS!!**

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

waterboys

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Ann. This is what I am doing too. I run a canister and notice my tank spikes mean time to clean. I have a 38 gallon and have been looking into skimmers myself. Just not sure about one yet.
This probably isn’t going to be a popular choice but I went with this skimmer. Appears to work pretty well for my 40 breeder. Micro bubbles were an issue for a few days until it broke in.
E5A7BFF3-3E9B-405E-B755-91E09B5E4633.jpeg

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a big fan of the Brightwell Aquatics Reef Code A and B Its very consistent and has served me well for a long time! Its also a bit more concentrated so it lasts a little longer. Reef Roids is great, we personally use Benepets but both products are amazing!! If you are already feeding twice a week you could try adding one more feeding a week and see where that puts you. Also adding an amino acid to your coral feeding routine would be very beneficial as well. We really like Red Sea Energy AB+

Canister Filters do tend to trap a little more detritus and they dont have as much water volume as a sump so can be a bit more tricky. I recommend running a phosphate remover (Chemipure Elite or Rowaphos.. I personally think Rowaphos works better) in the filter, and some carbon as well. Make sure to change these media out around once a month and if you have alot of buildup in the filter, go ahead and clean it out. Maybe see if you can set a routine to give it a deep clean like once every month or two. You could also dose bacterias to help lower nitrates (Dr. Tims Waste Away, Fritz Monster 460) and Brightwell makes a phenomenal liquid phosphate remover called Phosphat-E. If you are feeding frozen food, and dont do so already, rinse the food in ro water prior to feeding and dont dump any liquid into the tank (as the oils are very dirty) feed only the meat. Are you running a skimmer?
No skimmer, I had one on my 15 gallon and was unable to get any skimmate and is seemed to throw bubbles everywhere. It's now in pieces somewhere, probably the drawer of extra aquarium stuff. I'm sure you know the drawer/pile/closet. I was wondering about bacteria for nitrates, been sleepy on that. rinsing the frozen is a good idea, that would also help me feed all the tanks rather than thaw some of the cube in one tank and the rest in another...

Elise_

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a big fan of the Brightwell Aquatics Reef Code A and B Its very consistent and has served me well for a long time! Its also a bit more concentrated so it lasts a little longer. Reef Roids is great, we personally use Benepets but both products are amazing!! If you are already feeding twice a week you could try adding one more feeding a week and see where that puts you. Also adding an amino acid to your coral feeding routine would be very beneficial as well. We really like Red Sea Energy AB+

Thanks, just ordered some of the reef code A and B that will arrive tomorrow.
I do have a 2 part magnesium salt (will have to double check what it is) but I can use that to start trying to increase the magnesium.

I will also try the Red Sea energy AB+. Is this just to add to the feeding? I have not used it before.

Thanks again so much for your advice! Hopefully I can get this fixed enough to enjoy some new corals from this sale.

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This probably isn’t going to be a popular choice but I went with this skimmer. Appears to work pretty well for my 40 breeder. Micro bubbles were an issue for a few days until it broke in.
View attachment 2862219Thank you. I was originally looking at this one. Good to know.

Mr.OK

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best HOB Skimmer Ive ever used was the Reef Octopus Classic 90 HOB, I used it on my Biocube and it worked wonders. IMO still the best HOB skimmer you can get. The conal body shape really helps to pull those proteins out as the bubbles are able to spin undistrubed. Its a bit big for your size tank as it was for my biocube as well, but I just ran it on a timer for 12 hours a day so it doesnt strip the tank too clean.
i am beginning to hate my skimmer. It seems like it needs to adjust all the darn time, as some days it collects, than other days it runs with out collecting anything.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am beginning to hate my skimmer. It seems like it needs to adjust all the darn time, as some days it collects, than other days it runs with out collecting anything.
Whaddya got

OP
OP
Living Reef Orlando

Living Reef Orlando

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks, just ordered some of the reef code A and B that will arrive tomorrow.
I do have a 2 part magnesium salt (will have to double check what it is) but I can use that to start trying to increase the magnesium.

I will also try the Red Sea energy AB+. Is this just to add to the feeding? I have not used it before.

Thanks again so much for your advice! Hopefully I can get this fixed enough to enjoy some new corals from this sale.
Yes I feed the Red Sea Energy 10 minutes before I feed my powdered coral food, the amino acid will entice the coral to open up better
Do you have it in the chamber where the water level doesnt fluctuate?

Mr.OK

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I feed the Red Sea Energy 10 minutes before I feed my powdered coral food, the amino acid will entice the coral to open up better

Do you have it in the chamber where the water level doesnt fluctuate?
i got in the one next to the middle where the pump is, thats where your guys put it. I swear all the champers in the back fluctuated with water level. Maybe once i get the ATO it will get better

Elise_

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks so much. I need to look at when the shipping modules are. Hopefully I can get this fixed enough!

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Your Reef
Back