**!! LRO 10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY LIVE SALE! Our BEST one yet!!! FREEBIES! INSANE GIVEAWAYS!! HOT HOT CORALS!!**

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Voting Neil Patrick Harris GIF by Election 2016

OP
OP
Living Reef Orlando

Living Reef Orlando

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am good! Madly trying to arrange to get some supplies for dosing my tank, discovered my parameters are more out of order than I was hoping.. :(
Oh no! Anything we can do to help?!
TOOK The dog to the vet, and no making water to do a water change. Going to glue some corals down. Well that the plan at least for today
Sounds like a productive day!!!

Elise_

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no! Anything we can do to help?!

Sounds like a productive day!!!
I was doing frequent water changes in my nano to try and keep things as stable as possible but looks like maybe the saltwater I have been using is too low in Ca and Mg and also my Phosphates need to come up.
I want to try and fix it before getting the corals from this sale! But also if I can't I dont wanna have your gorgeous corals do poorly.

Tested at the LFS 2 weeks ago. I need to just splurge and get better testers for myself.
ALK: 7.435
pH: 8.0
Phos: 0.0
Ca: 387
Mg: 1175
Ammonia: 0.1. (LFS said the aqua spin can do this even if its truly 0)
Nitrite: 0.0
Nitrate: 7

My LFS isn't super local it's at least a 45 minute drive, so not easy to just pop in.

OP
OP
Living Reef Orlando

Living Reef Orlando

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was doing frequent water changes in my nano to try and keep things as stable as possible but looks like maybe the saltwater I have been using is too low in Ca and Mg and also my Phosphates need to come up.
I want to try and fix it before getting the corals from this sale! But also if I can't I dont wanna have your gorgeous corals do poorly.

Tested at the LFS 2 weeks ago. I need to just splurge and get better testers for myself.
ALK: 7.435
pH: 8.0
Phos: 0.0
Ca: 387
Mg: 1175
Ammonia: 0.1. (LFS said the aqua spin can do this even if its truly 0)
Nitrite: 0.0
Nitrate: 7

My LFS isn't super local it's at least a 45 minute drive, so not easy to just pop in.
It just looks like everything needs to get bumped up a tiny bit. Feed a little more coral food, and if you arent dosing already, you will need to start adding some calcium and alkalinity to the tank. Or do water changes with a higher parameter salt. To be fair, its better to have everything low than everything high! Bump the alk a little to around 8.5, bump the calcium to about 420-440 and bump the mag just a hair to about 1300.

Elise_

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just looks like everything needs to get bumped up a tiny bit. Feed a little more coral food, and if you arent dosing already, you will need to start adding some calcium and alkalinity to the tank. Or do water changes with a higher parameter salt. To be fair, its better to have everything low than everything high! Bump the alk a little to around 8.5, bump the calcium to about 420-440 and bump the mag just a hair to about 1300.
You make it sounds like this is all possible to fix :)

Any recommendations of particular products to start dosing with?
The coral food is to try and bump the Phos? I have Reef Roids that I have been target feeding a couple of times a week but can start dosing the whole tank as well potentially.

OP
OP
Living Reef Orlando

Living Reef Orlando

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You make it sounds like this is all possible to fix :)

Any recommendations of particular products to start dosing with?
The coral food is to try and bump the Phos? I have Reef Roids that I have been target feeding a couple of times a week but can start dosing the whole tank as well potentially.
I am a big fan of the Brightwell Aquatics Reef Code A and B Its very consistent and has served me well for a long time! Its also a bit more concentrated so it lasts a little longer. Reef Roids is great, we personally use Benepets but both products are amazing!! If you are already feeding twice a week you could try adding one more feeding a week and see where that puts you. Also adding an amino acid to your coral feeding routine would be very beneficial as well. We really like Red Sea Energy AB+
Ann, any advice on keeping no3 and po4 down? I have a canister filter and they can tend to creep up on me.
Canister Filters do tend to trap a little more detritus and they dont have as much water volume as a sump so can be a bit more tricky. I recommend running a phosphate remover (Chemipure Elite or Rowaphos.. I personally think Rowaphos works better) in the filter, and some carbon as well. Make sure to change these media out around once a month and if you have alot of buildup in the filter, go ahead and clean it out. Maybe see if you can set a routine to give it a deep clean like once every month or two. You could also dose bacterias to help lower nitrates (Dr. Tims Waste Away, Fritz Monster 460) and Brightwell makes a phenomenal liquid phosphate remover called Phosphat-E. If you are feeding frozen food, and dont do so already, rinse the food in ro water prior to feeding and dont dump any liquid into the tank (as the oils are very dirty) feed only the meat. Are you running a skimmer?

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a big fan of the Brightwell Aquatics Reef Code A and B Its very consistent and has served me well for a long time! Its also a bit more concentrated so it lasts a little longer. Reef Roids is great, we personally use Benepets but both products are amazing!! If you are already feeding twice a week you could try adding one more feeding a week and see where that puts you. Also adding an amino acid to your coral feeding routine would be very beneficial as well. We really like Red Sea Energy AB+

Canister Filters do tend to trap a little more detritus and they dont have as much water volume as a sump so can be a bit more tricky. I recommend running a phosphate remover (Chemipure Elite or Rowaphos.. I personally think Rowaphos works better) in the filter, and some carbon as well. Make sure to change these media out around once a month and if you have alot of buildup in the filter, go ahead and clean it out. Maybe see if you can set a routine to give it a deep clean like once every month or two. You could also dose bacterias to help lower nitrates (Dr. Tims Waste Away, Fritz Monster 460) and Brightwell makes a phenomenal liquid phosphate remover called Phosphat-E. If you are feeding frozen food, and dont do so already, rinse the food in ro water prior to feeding and dont dump any liquid into the tank (as the oils are very dirty) feed only the meat. Are you running a skimmer?
Thanks, Ann. This is what I am doing too. I run a canister and notice my tank spikes mean time to clean. I have a 38 gallon and have been looking into skimmers myself. Just not sure about one yet.

OP
OP
Living Reef Orlando

Living Reef Orlando

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks, Ann. This is what I am doing too. I run a canister and notice my tank spikes mean time to clean. I have a 38 gallon and have been looking into skimmers myself. Just not sure about one yet.
The best HOB Skimmer Ive ever used was the Reef Octopus Classic 90 HOB, I used it on my Biocube and it worked wonders. IMO still the best HOB skimmer you can get. The conal body shape really helps to pull those proteins out as the bubbles are able to spin undistrubed. Its a bit big for your size tank as it was for my biocube as well, but I just ran it on a timer for 12 hours a day so it doesnt strip the tank too clean.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Vivid
Back