Not open for further replies.

IHAVEACOMPLEX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

Bear with me on the length of this post…

I’m relatively new to posting on R2R, so I realize I may be a foreigner to you all, but I promise I have been reading R2R posts for upwards of a decade now, so you all feel like family to me.

Quick story:

I finally moved into a house that I will be living in forever, and have started to get the itch to set up a reef tank.

To all of you that welcomed me through my introduction post, and saw the pictures I posted, you probably noticed that the house is still not quite finished…. I do still have one leg of the construction project left (the garage), but I am starting to have more-and-more free time as the construction of the main house comes to a close.

As I started to feel my wife out on how much funding “we” wanted to dedicate to “our” reef tank build, I hit a brick wall…. Apparently its “unreasonable” to earmark $10k-$20K for a reef tank when you still have over 2,000 square feet of construction left to budget for… (Who knew?)

So using my master negotiator skills (I have none), I finally got my wife to agree to letting me set up a tank “if it didn’t cost us anything”…

…Challenge accepted…

Plan A.

As an avid consumer of video content on YouTube, my first thought was that if I were to set up a (maybe Media) business creating extremely-high-quality, hyper-digestible, content, I may be able to secure enough sponsors to build my reef tank with limited out of pocket funding. (Side benefit - any out of pocket expenses related to the project are write offs, and are tax deductible. Which is basically like having a 30% off coupon for all reefing gear)

So I got to work. My first few conversations were with brands that don’t currently hold the majority of the market share in reefing gear (A.K.A. anyone who isn’t owned by the parent company of Neptune/Ecotech/BRS). I started with these companies because I figured these brands would be the most apt to having their products on display, as most content currently available uses the big brands, even if they are not sponsoring the content. This actually started to go pretty well, and after pitching the idea, I got some traction with several brands.

Before reaching out to too many equipment manufacturers, I started to realize that sponsorship seems to come with strings attached… I didn’t run into any insidious behavior (like brands asking me to lie, or mis-represent products), but I did run into brands trying to “steer” me to using only their products, rather than showcasing a variety or brands. (Which I think would make the content less interesting)

It started to become apparent that the challenge was going to be to find manufacturers/brands who would be comfortable just sponsoring a single portion of the project (IE just the tank, or just the skimmer).

After “fighting the good fight” for a few weeks, I decided I should reach out to the ultimate “consumer” that the content is going to be targeted towards, rather than assume I know what everyone here wants to watch.

So question 1 is, If there were going to be a new Youtube series following the build of a (lets call it 180 gallon) tank build. Would you prefer the focus be on picking a few Items from each reef-gear manufacturers/brands, and showing an “alternative choice” to the flagship products that dominate the market? Or would you rather watch a series that picks a top tier manufacturer and uses them as a sponsor for all of the gear involved with setting up the reef tank?

I’d like as many people as possible to voice their opinions on this post, as I’ll likely be pointing to it in my upcoming conversation with sponsors of the project!

I’d also like to call on you-all to put me in touch with anyone you know who makes reef gear that you think would be interested in sponsoring a portion of the build. (They would obviously get a pretty big shout-out in the video series).

Plan B

If the majority of people here agree that it would be more interesting seeing content that isn’t skewed in any way by sponsorship (and would go so far as to help with the cost of setting up the system) there may be a second option where we can crowdfund the cost of all of the gear used in the video series.

I realize this sounds a lot like asking for a handout, but with the content from Ryan @ BRS going on hiatus, I (and maybe you as well) have been feeling that there is a serious lack of high quality reefing content available to get me through the work day. So there may be an appetite to get more content going.

Ultimately, I’d rather not go this direction, because while it would be so much easier to manage, I’d much rather have this endeavor be a win for all parties (Sponsors get extremely-low-cost publicity, reefers get free high quality content, I get a free reef setup), but it may be the only way relieve the logistical nightmare of finding like 50 willing sponsors)

If you’ve made it this far into the post, here is my call to action for you:

Comment below on:
  • Whether you feel there is a lack of binge-able reefing content on YouTube these days
  • Whether a new reefing channel that you stumbled upon would be more interesting to you with a variety of different brands showcased, or whether you would be indifferent to having a single brand used for all the different facets of a tank build
  • Whether you would go so far as to throw ~$10 of your own hard-earned cash to have a new reefing channel to follow. (and know you were a part of developing it)
One Final Note - I ask you to keep in mind that the total benefit to me of having sponsors/other reefers offset the cost of the tank build is not likely to come anywhere close to making the amount of time and energy I will have to pour into this effort worthwhile (It would probably be easier getting a second job an McDonald’s to fund my tank build), I’m really doing this for the love of the hobby, and to make sure it has a future. Just something to think about before you bash me in the comments! (But feel free to bash me anyway, I can always use a good ribbing!)

jimfish98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read this and just thought to myself this is a crap ton of work/hassle to try and find a loop hole around you're wife's common sense. Finish the big project that impacts everyone in the home, then ear mark money for the fun stuff. If you are hell bent on speeding up the project, put the time/effort into finishing the house so it is done sooner.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an existing youtube channel that meets their requirements to advertise brands or products? If not, then that's not really an option due to Youtubes guidelines and restrictions.

OP
OP
IHAVEACOMPLEX

IHAVEACOMPLEX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read this and just thought to myself this is a crap ton of work/hassle to try and find a loop hole around you're wife's common sense. Finish the big project that impacts everyone in the home, then ear mark money for the fun stuff. If you are hell bent on speeding up the project, put the time/effort into finishing the house so it is done sooner.
Jim - Very Sage wisdom!

A few things:

1. The house will never be done... I'm a serial "constructor" and will never let the house be finished (this is actually the genesis of the username). I have projects planned out for at least the next 4 years.

2. The narrative about my wife not wanting me to spend money on the tank is partially for comedic effect (because we have all had that conversation). The cost of setting up a business, and developing high quality content is likely in line with what a reef tank could cost. As I mentioned, I'm mostly doing this for the love of the hobby, and to keep it moving forward (not to save a buck, or find a loophole).

Appreciate the feedback!

OP
OP
IHAVEACOMPLEX

IHAVEACOMPLEX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an existing youtube channel that meets their requirements to advertise brands or products? If not, then that's not really an option due to Youtubes guidelines and restrictions.
I'd be interested to hear more about the restriction you are referencing, but it is my understanding that it is within YouTube's guidelines to create a video series that is sponsored by other businesses.

I believe the restrictions YouTube has in place are intended to restrict content makers from having advertisements during their videos that mirror the advertisements YouTube overlays on videos. (Which would not be the plan)

If you could point me to the restrictions you referencing, I'd love to read through them!

Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
creating extremely-high-quality, hyper-digestible, content,

IMO, those two things are at cross purposes, and if you decide to discuss topics, you will have to decide if you want extremely high quality, or easily understood, or something in between that doesn't do either of the first two perfectly.

Hyper digestible typically implies having easily understood, simple conclusions and clear cut recommendations.

Extremely high quality implies a level of accuracy and generality that makes it long and complicated with lots of different scenarios taken into account, and not so hyper-digestible.

Example;

What is the best nitrate level for an aquarium?

Hyper digestable answer: 2-10 ppm (or whatever)

High quality answer: it depends on all sorts of other factors such as ammonia levels, corals involved, fish feeding extent (heavy in/heavy out vs light in/light out), organics in the water, including dosed amino acids, particulate foods (fed or natural), etc. These are detailed in the following sections...

OP
OP
IHAVEACOMPLEX

IHAVEACOMPLEX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, those two things are at cross purposes, and if you decide to discuss topics, you will have to decide if you want extremely high quality, or easily understood, or something in between that doesn't do either of the first two perfectly.

Hyper digestible typically implies having easily understood, simple conclusions and clear cut recommendations.

Extremely high quality implies a level of accuracy and generality that makes it long and complicated with lots of different scenarios taken into account, and not so hyper-digestible.

Example;

What is the best nitrate level for an aquarium?

Hyper digestable answer: 2-10 ppm (or whatever)

High quality answer: it depends on all sorts of other factors such as ammonia levels, corals involved, fish feeding extent (heavy in/heavy out vs light in/light out), organics in the water, including dosed amino acids, particulate foods (fed or natural), etc. These are detailed in the following sections...
That is awesome feedback Randy!

I'd be interested to hear which end of the spectrum you think more video content available falls into (and what you would like to see more of).

It sounds as though your definition of "High-quality" is interchangeable with my definition of "In-depth" - Though I definitely get your point that to add quality, you have to scratch beyond the surface.

I'll be the first to admit that I am not qualified to generate extremely in-depth content that really mulls through the organic chemistry happening in a reef tank (you'll have to give ma a crash course before every video if I go that direction).

What I intended with the qualifier "high quality" was more in the direction of "high production value". I didn't want anyone to mistake this project for a guy with a cam-corder in a dimly lit basement rambling whatever comes to mind. (though there are some channels that do that very well!)

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be interested to hear more about the restriction you are referencing, but it is my understanding that it is within YouTube's guidelines to create a video series that is sponsored by other businesses.

I believe the restrictions YouTube has in place are intended to restrict content makers from having advertisements during their videos that mirror the advertisements YouTube overlays on videos. (Which would not be the plan)

If you could point me to the restrictions you referencing, I'd love to read through them!

Thanks!
Ok, if ypu intend to make money from Youtube, heres a link...
You need like 500 subscribers minimum and thousands of hours of views. If you intend to be making money from the companies and not youtube, Im not sure if these restrictions apply or not. Its difficult to believe that a company would be interested in paying you without an existing viewer base but thats up to them if Youtube allows that.

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, if ypu intend to make money from Youtube, heres a link...
You need like 500 subscribers minimum and thousands of hours of views. If you intend to be making money from the companies and not youtube, Im not sure if these restrictions apply or not. Its difficult to believe that a company would be interested in paying you without an existing viewer base but thats up to them if Youtube allows that.
Piggybacking off of this, I think you're putting the cart before the horse. To get all the benefits from either plan A or B, you already need an established viewer base that will allow you to get the funding (either sponsor or crowdfunding).

On the actual content front- I think what you really need to figure out is what your content is going to do to differentiate itself from other channels. In my opinion, we already have a huge amount of highly digestible content out on YouTube. You only need so many videos on tank basics and whatnot. Tank journal style channels are evergreen in the sense that your experience will always be different so you will have "new" content as compared to other's journeys, but even then I feel like those channels are pretty well-represented.

I think starting a smaller tank in the tank journal style to build up some viewers, then try to accumulate sponsors for a mega build would be a more effective strategy than going straight for the kill on a big tank.

At the end of the day though, I think you'll be hard pressed to get sponsors or the community to fund an entire tank for free. At the end of the day this is a hobby, and a very expensive one at that.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be interested to hear which end of the spectrum you think more video content available falls into (and what you would like to see more of).

I'm not a good one to answer on what videos I'd like to see since I generally find them a very slow way to get info and do not watch them unless there's a pressing reason. I'd generally rather read a transcript of the same video, or better yet, an article written to be read.

As to what exists now, there's a whole range, but here are some of my personal thoughts:

1. If something is incorrect in a video, there's no good way for others to point it out. A comment might just get buried in a load of "cool stuff" comments. Folks ask me to comment on something claimed in a video, and i never waste my time at the video site doing so, and thus only people reading the corrections discussion at a place like Reef2Reef see it. IMO, this is one reason some manufacturers and resellers do videos: no fact checking of claims. To this end, there are a lot of videos with info that I do not believe to be true.

2. Folks cannot as readily skim a video to find just want they want to know about, as opposed to an article.

3. Videos are very well suited to showing aquaria in all their glory. Nothing beats it for that purpose. Sadly, folks often associate a great tank with the idea that anything done in that tank is desirable, when, in fact, the tank may be thriving in spite of using a practice that is generally poor, or that may not easily translate to other aquaria. Often video do not even give you enough info to know if the practice being highlighted will translate to other aquaria.

4. I know a lot of folks are video oriented, but IMO, videos should focus on visually important ideas (say, a coral that changed color when dosing some particular supplement or a lighting change,; or coral growth over weeks to months of video segments) as opposed to something one cannot readily see (such as a change in pH when doing X).

OP
OP
IHAVEACOMPLEX

IHAVEACOMPLEX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't look like it would be a problem to publish content supported by sponsors regardless of the channel size.

As for "making money" on YouTube, I wouldn't be too concerned about monetizing the channel.

Regarding your comment on getting companies to sponsor the channel without an existing following - that is a very valid concern for some of the brands I have had conversations with (we all love rejection though right?). I think ultimately, if you look at the total "investment" that they would be making, its low enough that some are willing to take the risk.

If we take a protein skimmer as our example - to make things easy, lets say it retails at $1,000, that would mean the actual cost to a brand for donating it to get the publicity is likely ~$500-$750 depending on their margins. It really wouldn't take too many incremental sales of the skimmer through increased awareness to make that investment return several times over.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest doing what you like, and make videos on that for fun starting out. Most YouTube channels are just marketing videos disguised as info, and there are plenty of influencers trying to cash in. Making enough money off of content to pay for reefing is certainly doable, but will most likely take years to happen and require most of your time to do so. Good luck!

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, I didn't post my comment to discourage you, only to make you aware that it might be in your best interest to do further research first. Regarding the risk vs reward for the company, I think it might be difficult for you to convince a company that there would be any reward at this point in time due to not having a viewer base. What publicity would they gain if only 10 people see the video they paid to sponsor?
It doesn't look like it would be a problem to publish content supported by sponsors regardless of the channel size.

As for "making money" on YouTube, I wouldn't be too concerned about monetizing the channel.

Regarding your comment on getting companies to sponsor the channel without an existing following - that is a very valid concern for some of the brands I have had conversations with (we all love rejection though right?). I think ultimately, if you look at the total "investment" that they would be making, its low enough that some are willing to take the risk.

If we take a protein skimmer as our example - to make things easy, lets say it retails at $1,000, that would mean the actual cost to a brand for donating it to get the publicity is likely ~$500-$750 depending on their margins. It really wouldn't take too many incremental sales of the skimmer through increased awareness to make that investment return several times over.

HNR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure how long you’ve been in the hobby but I think you’d be better off starting off more small and reasonably. I’m sure most of us would agree that 20k for a tank is pretty steep especially when you have other expenses going on in life right now. Maybe start smaller or try to buy used. No one said you need all the bells and whistles or the latest and greatest thing. I’m sure it’s not your intention but this does read somewhat like you want a tank for free for the purposes of creating content rather than because you’re passionate about the hobby. But maybe I’m just bad at reading. Regardless I think your best way to do this is to start smaller (less ambitious more realistic) and make content about that, and increase your following that way. As you gain followers brands and money will come. It typically doesn’t work the other way around. Just my 2 cents.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not post videos that highlight a product without the company sponsoring you to show them that your videos do, in fact, get views and that the content you'd be making would be high enough quality to interest them... then you'd have the proof to show them!

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from what I've already said, one obstacle you'll likely encounter is the fact that the vast majority of well known or even somewhat known companies already have plenty of platforms for advertising and they spend a LOT of money already.

OP
OP
IHAVEACOMPLEX

IHAVEACOMPLEX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Piggybacking off of this, I think you're putting the cart before the horse. To get all the benefits from either plan A or B, you already need an established viewer base that will allow you to get the funding (either sponsor or crowdfunding).

On the actual content front- I think what you really need to figure out is what your content is going to do to differentiate itself from other channels. In my opinion, we already have a huge amount of highly digestible content out on YouTube. You only need so many videos on tank basics and whatnot. Tank journal style channels are evergreen in the sense that your experience will always be different so you will have "new" content as compared to other's journeys, but even then I feel like those channels are pretty well-represented.

I think starting a smaller tank in the tank journal style to build up some viewers, then try to accumulate sponsors for a mega build would be a more effective strategy than going straight for the kill on a big tank.

At the end of the day though, I think you'll be hard pressed to get sponsors or the community to fund an entire tank for free. At the end of the day this is a hobby, and a very expensive one at that
Hey you could be right!

Judging by the first 10 replies, it doesn't sound like anyone else here had the same opinion I did that more content was greatly needed in the hobby!

This all started by me thinking to myself "would I throw $10 to someone to have another YouTube channel about reefing to watch!? (Maybe I'm in the minority here) Time will tell!

OP
OP
IHAVEACOMPLEX

IHAVEACOMPLEX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from what I've already said, one obstacle you'll likely encounter is the fact that the vast majority of well known or even somewhat known companies already have plenty of platforms for advertising and they spend a LOT of money already.
Very Fair!

OP
OP
IHAVEACOMPLEX

IHAVEACOMPLEX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure how long you’ve been in the hobby but I think you’d be better off starting off more small and reasonably. I’m sure most of us would agree that 20k for a tank is pretty steep especially when you have other expenses going on in life right now. Maybe start smaller or try to buy used. No one said you need all the bells and whistles or the latest and greatest thing. I’m sure it’s not your intention but this does read somewhat like you want a tank for free for the purposes of creating content rather than because you’re passionate about the hobby. But maybe I’m just bad at reading. Regardless I think your best way to do this is to start smaller (less ambitious more realistic) and make content about that, and increase your following that way. As you gain followers brands and money will come. It typically doesn’t work the other way around. Just my 2 cents.
Greatly appreciate the 2 cents!

I had a 120 with fish and a few corals back in 2010 (nothing impressive, but tons of fun), but left the hobby for college, and getting established in life - finally getting back into it!

Regarding starting small, I have trouble coping with the limits small systems put on the hobby!

Slocke

I’m pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey you could be right!

Judging by the first 10 replies, it doesn't sound like anyone else here had the same opinion I did that more content was greatly needed in the hobby!

This all started by me thinking to myself "would I throw $10 to someone to have another YouTube channel about reefing to watch!? (Maybe I'm in the minority here) Time will tell!
Depends on the quality of the content. The issue is in asking us or a sponsor to sponsor you when we have no idea of your video making expertise, charisma, style etc is, is very difficult.

It’s like paying for a burger from someone who’s never cooked before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back