• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Ktar's Acan Growout

rosko23

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at the pictures and I'm thinking the carnival candy and drops of Jupiter may have been mixed up. Only reason I noticed was my drops of Jupiter I got from kien some months back has the all green center pictured in the first labeled shot as carnival candy and not the multi colored that the one listed in the thread shows. Yalls thoughts?

Hmm very possible. Carnival candy is suppose to have a green center... So
It does look like it. Does ktar look at this?? Maybe he can chime in. I did my best keeping the names with the bags in order... So don't know how i could be off that far. But could have been mislabeled or my mistake...

AquaCave Logo Banner

rosko23

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic of a Carnival Candy frag from his sale thread on 9/29/11. It looks like its pretty green in the center. Can't see all of the center though. Also this one looks very different from ours.

4b0da8d7-b865-4492.jpg

Remember that this one one day in tank... I'll check then out tomorrow to see if they look a little diff

AquaCave Logo Banner
Top Shelf Aquatics

austx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya they do look different and just as the comparison I'll try and get a shot of my frag posted tonight so you can see what I'm looking at. He had a few frags of the drops of Jupiter on his website that are no longer up so that wasn't an option last night.

austx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright the pictures not the best but you can see the centers clear enough. The next picture shows a better color of the outer rim, had to zoom in and sharpen a bit though. Also if you look at the first picture of the group shot, the drops of jupiter and carnival candy are in the top left, in my opinion the one on the bottom left is the drops of jupiter. I'm thinking they may have been mislabeled but could definitely use Kiens opinion.

IMG_2202.jpg

IMG_1010.jpg

3680103d.jpg

rosko23

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright the pictures not the best but you can see the centers clear enough. The next picture shows a better color of the outer rim, had to zoom in and sharpen a bit though. Also if you look at the first picture of the group shot, the drops of jupiter and carnival candy are in the top left, in my opinion the one on the bottom left is the drops of jupiter. I'm thinking they may have been mislabeled but could definitely use Kiens opinion.

View attachment 36312

View attachment 36311

View attachment 36313

Yeah so hard to tell....

Nutramar Foods

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From comparing the pics that Jorge took to Ktar's original pic, it looks as if the drops of jupiter is the acan at the utmost top and to the left (in Ktars acan pack pic). Neither picture seems to exactly match that pic that Weapons posted.

I've been looking around at acans, and I'm really glad we picked this one up, guys. Some really unique ones in this mix. The Fiery Dragon is quickly becoming my fav now.

lol, i must look at this pic every couple days...

dan10342

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally saw the growout pack before it was shipped off. It's quite possible the bags were mislabeled.

Here is a very old thread link with pictures from both the drops of jupiter and the carnival candy originater (randyo)
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/reef-creation/46174-arc-all-star-acans-now-available.html
You can see both drops of jupiter and carnival candy have green centers

Over time, they did change under different lighting, however they overall held their main colors. Hope this clears stuff up

AquaCave Logo Banner

austx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya looks like I may have been wrong, I messaged Kien and this was his response,

"The Carnival Candy has two polyps on the frag. The Drop of jupiter has bigger polyp and its the one that has one polyp in my picture in the upper left hand corner."

So from the original picture the drops of jupiter is on the top and the carnival candy is just below on the left. Mystery solved haha.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Benjamin I just pmed you.

Hey guys,

I already asked Richie but was wondering if anyone else was participating in the Sexy Corals live sale? I had proposed to Richie and will do same here, if people want to join to get in on some sexy growout action after the sale for some exceptional pieces I'd probably be down. I could probably put in $2-300 from my end and wouldn't mind doing so for a sick chalice.

I know it is much harder to do this for a live sale as you have to just decide if you want it or not at the moment without being sure others will want in, but if you want to try and make up some costs after some decisions made at the sale (some more poor than others I'm sure) this may be a good way to do that if you were willing to grow out.

Again, much to discuss I'm sure, but thought I'd throw it out there as I don't think I will be purchasing anything from this live sale but would love to try and split the cost for frags next year. You know they are going to come with some sick pieces...anyway just a thought from a coral addict. :wink:

Oh and thanks Jorge for the Iphone update the other week! Post some pics of the acans on the thread whenever you have time, no rush, I'm sure they are doing really well I just love the eye candy.

Nutramar Foods

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cherry corals not sexy corals :)

lol, man i had some issues yesterday. Thanks for the correction, Richie and very sorry to both Cherry and Sexy Corals! Both look like awesome vendors so maybe that's why i got them mixed up. Yes that is what I'm going with. :crossedlips:

austx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to check up and see how they were looking. Not sure if we ever mentioned a time frame but as far as the number of heads we have and the growth how long do we think this may take? Thanks.

apicturepaints

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd chime in, but I have the Carnival Candy and Fiery Dragon. Carnival Candy grows at a really nice rate and the Fiery Dragon will grow quick once it pops a head or two off, it just takes a little while for it starting at 1 polyp. Good luck guys!

rosko23

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to check up and see how they were looking. Not sure if we ever mentioned a time frame but as far as the number of heads we have and the growth how long do we think this may take? Thanks.

Hey.. I've been at work for 15 hours. I will snap some pics this weekend. Sorry... Been real busy.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Champion
Back