Juv. Naso tang down

wheel6251

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening everyone, as always thanks for your help on this. My juvenile naso Tang, which I’ve had for about a month is now hanging out at the bottom of the tank not moving around very much. His stress white blotches are showing. Not sure if I should remove him from the tank before it gets worse, or, just let it play out. He has been eating algae sheets regularly and was a happy swimmer till today. I just added another Flame Angel this morning, but he is in the beef box which is in the tank for a few more days. TIA
I don’t have a quarantine tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good evening everyone, as always thanks for your help on this. My juvenile naso Tang, which I’ve had for about a month is now hanging out at the bottom of the tank not moving around very much. His stress white blotches are showing. Not sure if I should remove him from the tank before it gets worse, or, just let it play out. He has been eating algae sheets regularly and was a happy swimmer till today. I just added another Flame Angel this morning, but he is in the beef box which is in the tank for a few more days. TIA
Don't know what a beef box is - can you send some good pictures under white light? Have you added anything else? Do you QT your fish?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
If this is a blonde naso, there has been issues well over a year and most of these fish are coming fromn Sri Lanka and it is suspected that a method of capture is contributing to this trend in which the fish appears healthy the first few days and then weakens quickly with loss of appetite and strength and as you found laying on its side, thin body and breathing heavy until death. It may be due to cyanide capture but unconfirmed.
Sorry to hear of this and being the bearer of bad news. Often in this state of health , recovery is very low as they are moribund and adding air stone may or may not help, but there is no additive that can be recommended for this

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If this is a blonde naso, there has been issues well over a year and most of these fish are coming fromn Sri Lanka and it is suspected that a method of capture is contributing to this trend in which the fish appears healthy the first few days and then weakens quickly with loss of appetite and strength and as you found laying on its side, thin body and breathing heavy until death. It may be due to cyanide capture but unconfirmed.
Sorry to hear of this and being the bearer of bad news. Often in this state of health , recovery is very low as they are moribund and adding air stone may or may not help, but there is no additive that can be recommended for this
very good point

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to Reef2Reef.

This sounds pretty serious and without a quarantine tank, your options will be pretty limited.

Still, maybe we can come up with a plan. However, a clear video and more background information is needed. Here is a post that explains all that:

OP
OP
W

wheel6251

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef.

This sounds pretty serious and without a quarantine tank, your options will be pretty limited.

Still, maybe we can come up with a plan. However, a clear video and more background information is needed. Here is a post that explains all that:

Wow, lot’s
Welcome to Reef2Reef.

Hey Jay, thanks so much for following up. So happy I read that post so I can put the correct information up when I have questions. I can’t get a video of him, because he won’t come out of a cave. However, if I Google stress spots on juv naso Tang, it looks just like that. Big round circles, does not appear to be small Specs, they are rather large, and I believe are a defense mechanism. However, I think he is laying down in that cave, so his hours may be numbered. Here are specs

90 gallon fish FOWLR
Canister Filter 400 GPH
Started in 1/2024
1 flame angel
1 flame angel that arrived today that’s in a holding box (beef box) inside the tank.
1 blue face
3 clowns
1 jaw fish
1 clown trigger
1 humu humu trigger
A damsel
Another purple fish, can’t think of his name
One mandarin goby

We treated with a 1/2 dose of copper safe about 1.5 months ago as a precaution.

Water temp 75
ph 8.4
Ammonia 0.0
Nitrite 0.0
Nitrate 5.0 ppm

Change about 5-7 gallons a week
We feed frozen brine and mysis on alternate days. Also, the Naso only liked the Nori, and he turned the some of the other fish into it

White LED light about 10 hours a day.
I bought a copper test and it reads 0.0, however we purchased a cheap snail last week and he died within 36 hours, so I’m assuming it still in there.

I am attaching a pic of my tank, as well as a
Photo of a Napa tang I found online that has very similar spots

TIA

saltytanked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, lot’s

Hey Jay, thanks so much for following up. So happy I read that post so I can put the correct information up when I have questions. I can’t get a video of him, because he won’t come out of a cave. However, if I Google stress spots on juv naso Tang, it looks just like that. Big round circles, does not appear to be small Specs, they are rather large, and I believe are a defense mechanism. However, I think he is laying down in that cave, so his hours may be numbered. Here are specs

90 gallon fish FOWLR
Canister Filter 400 GPH
Started in 1/2024
1 flame angel
1 flame angel that arrived today that’s in a holding box (beef box) inside the tank.
1 blue face
3 clowns
1 jaw fish
1 clown trigger
1 humu humu trigger
A damsel
Another purple fish, can’t think of his name
One mandarin goby

We treated with a 1/2 dose of copper safe about 1.5 months ago as a precaution.

Water temp 75
ph 8.4
Ammonia 0.0
Nitrite 0.0
Nitrate 5.0 ppm

Change about 5-7 gallons a week
We feed frozen brine and mysis on alternate days. Also, the Naso only liked the Nori, and he turned the some of the other fish into it

White LED light about 10 hours a day.
I bought a copper test and it reads 0.0, however we purchased a cheap snail last week and he died within 36 hours, so I’m assuming it still in there.

I am attaching a pic of my tank, as well as a
Photo of a Napa tang I found online that has very similar spots

TIA
Those fish have no business in a tiny 90g tank. No wonder your having problems!!

saltytanked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are all babies. The biggest one is prolly 2 .5 inches. We have a place to move them as they grow out of the tanks.
After 20+ years in this hobby I’d be rich for ever person that’s said that. Did you research how big they get and how fast, plus no qt=disaster waiting to happen and unfolding now.

Good luck, your gonna need it lol

OP
OP
W

wheel6251

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics attached

Attachments

• IMG_0746.jpeg
    IMG_0746.jpeg
    19.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0747.jpeg
    IMG_0747.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 32

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics attached
Stress spots on juvenile naso tangs are common, and even show up normally as night coloration. However, the hiding is not normal. I presume the fish isn’t eating now? The reason for needing to see a video is to judge the fish’s respiration rate. High respiration rate, combined with not eating is a sign of serious issues.

I think your naso has a systemic disease. It may just be the issue that blonde nasos have been having recently, where they arrive, but then die for no apparent reason in a few weeks to a month or so. That issue isn’t contagious. However, this could be a contagious issue that can involve the other fish.

A couple of other observations - as others have said, your fish won’t be compatible long term, and the triggers will grow too large. I’m worried the two flame angels are going to fight right from the start. Finally, never rely on half dose copper to provide any benefit, you need to use a full dose for the proper length of time (usually 30 days).

Jay

OP
OP
W

wheel6251

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stress spots on juvenile naso tangs are common, and even show up normally as night coloration. However, the hiding is not normal. I presume the fish isn’t eating now? The reason for needing to see a video is to judge the fish’s respiration rate. High respiration rate, combined with not eating is a sign of serious issues.

I think your naso has a systemic disease. It may just be the issue that blonde nasos have been having recently, where they arrive, but then die for no apparent reason in a few weeks to a month or so. That issue isn’t contagious. However, this could be a contagious issue that can involve the other fish.

A couple of other observations - as others have said, your fish won’t be compatible long term, and the triggers will grow too large. I’m worried the two flame angels are going to fight right from the start. Finally, never rely on half dose copper to provide any benefit, you need to use a full dose for the proper length of time (usually 30 days).

Jay
Great info, thank you

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back