Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do agree online prices have gotten more expensive so I started looking for different sources of coral. I am trying to get coral from local people if I can, but so far that has been difficult. People are sketchy and forget things, even me. It's way more difficult than ordering online and being done. So instead I've just been patient and waiting for a true sale. I know now after shopping online for a while that there a few true sales that come around every now and then and I'm just trying to be patient and wait for those.

I would love to shop at my LFS more but its really not good. The prices are average and the quality is not great. I could travel 40 minutes to get better quality corals at other LFSs but the price then gets to almost double online prices and frags come with aiptasia. So...Online ordering it is. They have a good service and I think the prices are still mostly fair but definitely getting up there. I will be trying to do business with local hobbyists more often though.

Top Shelf Aquatics

zoomonster

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a solution to this issue? I stopped stocking my tank at this point due to the costs and it’s just ridiculous. Would we be able to start some sort of ban on reef 2 reef?
Touchy subject I would say as many of the biggest offenders are sponsors of this site and routinely advertise and have live sales. Just scrolling through this thread there have been in thread ads for some of them. I feel like even as a paying member I have to watch publicly shaming them and you really can't have a discussion about a vendor because it will get shut down and moved to a thread no one can comment on but you and the vendor.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok grumpy
Lol. I agree with stuff being off tilt, but asking someone nicely for an discount isnt gonna fix it. Gotta put money where the mouth is.... Well not put money out there. When sales drop, prices adjust accordingly.

Cichlid Dad

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. I agree with stuff being off tilt, but asking someone nicely for an discount isnt gonna fix it. Gotta put money where the mouth is.... Well not put money out there. When sales drop, prices adjust accordingly.
I stopped buying from them a long time ago local only from at home sales

EliMelly

Review score
+0 /0 /-1
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-1
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Touchy subject I would say as many of the biggest offenders are sponsors of this site and routinely advertise and have live sales. Just scrolling through this thread there have been in thread ads for some of them. I feel like even as a paying member I have to watch publicly shaming them and you really can't have a discussion about a vendor because it will get shut down and moved to a thread no one can comment on but you and the vendor.
That’s a fair point… so basically nothing you can do unless admins allow if here…

Nutramar Foods

|Frank|

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 3161583

It seems like one thing that has become common is adopting the outlet mall strategy of everything always being on sale. A frag of xenia will be perpetually on sale for $30 with a list price of $75. 60% off, what a steal!

But the more I think about it, as surprised as I am by the people coming up with the prices, I think I am more surprised by the people paying them.
Xenia was on sale at a live sale for $20. Tbh I don’t know I want to pay online anymore. I’ll just drive to the LFS.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Cichlid Dad

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If someone wants gsp, Ill gladly frag it for free, lol. That grows like a weed...
That's so funny! Everybody warns you put on it's own rock! It grows like weed. And now it's selling for 40.00. same here, I'll give you all you want!

zoomonster

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thing is with most LFS, whether fish or coral, any guarantee is over the second you walk out the door. Online may offer guarantees anywhere from arrive alive to 14 days but it becomes a vicious cycle. You only get store credit not including shipping so you have to come back, possibly spend even more money and pay for shipping again. For one coral vendor in particular they keep screwing up orders with not what I ordered or just garbage and I keep having to order again. About at the point where I just eat the last loss and not do business again. Not sure LFS no guarantee is not the better deal.

I just did an online claim for a dead powder blue tang that arrived with ragged fins and never ate. Shipping was high to start and the fish was on sale 15% off. So, if I were to replace it, I would have to pay a higher price and shipping again. Fortunately, this place has a pretty good reputation and didn't try to deny the claim.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's so funny! Everybody warns you put on it's own rock! It grows like weed. And now it's selling for 40.00. same here, I'll give you all you want!
I have a massive rock, lol. Its been fragged to death and it still grows incredibly. I'm planning to rid of the rock for something else but in going to cover the overflow with it! Rock is about 10" across.

20230330_135708_HDR~2.jpg

bakbay

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the price-gauging party going. I’ve promised my wife that I’ll “eventually” make money on my corals - it’s going to be an awesome retirement game plan where I can make 6-digit salary just farming corals! lol I think she figured it out already. Let’s face it, it’s an expensive hobby! In the end, golfing, exotic cars, high-end audio, etc — there are other expensive hobbies. I’m saving so much money doing reefing! :p

Nutramar Foods

WestMI-Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thing is with most LFS, whether fish or coral, any guarantee is over the second you walk out the door. Online may offer guarantees anywhere from arrive alive to 14 days but it becomes a vicious cycle. You only get store credit not including shipping so you have to come back, possibly spend even more money and pay for shipping again. For one coral vendor in particular they keep screwing up orders with not what I ordered or just garbage and I keep having to order again. About at the point where I just eat the last loss and not do business again. Not sure LFS no guarantee is not the better deal.

I just did an online claim for a dead powder blue tang that arrived with ragged fins and never ate. Shipping was high to start and the fish was on sale 15% off. So, if I were to replace it, I would have to pay a higher price and shipping again. Fortunately, this place has a pretty good reputation and didn't try to deny the claim.
That’s the cycle. Customer must order again to try to regain the lost value.
I suspect this is why they send tiny, poorly fragged pieces, already on deaths door. They know you will want to replace it, even if its just one or two. Plus shipping every time.

|Frank|

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to visit a coral shop and there was no prices on the tanks and when you asked him he would look up in the air wait a minute then say a price. This is called make a price up in your head . Never ever went back near them . Just think if a first time reefer went in there not knowing the difference. Things definitely need to change somehow
Same here. What’s worse is this guys tanks were covered in hair/bubble algae you couldn’t even see through the glass is was so bad. Then he told me a price for something… I chuckled said have a nice day and walked out.

ninjamyst

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supply and demand. Online stores will continue to sell at current pricing because people are buying them. WWC latest live sale, people were going crazy trying to out buy each other and you can tell most are new to the hobby because they all wanted softies and willing to pay $$$ for them. When the acros came, no one wanted them.

However, I disagree with the OP that this is a problem. I think we have a good balance now of lots of available cheap corals and high end corals. The hobby is as expensive as you make it. I see cheap $10-$25 frags in live sales all the time. Zoas, facias, acans, ricordeas, montiporas. Any one can start a tank and fill it with corals for cheap. But if you want the Malaysia tiger balm holy grail torch or the TSA screaming bubble yum ultra rainbow tenius, then you have to pay for it. But no one is making you pay it. But as long as someone will, online stores will keep selling at current price.

I personally don't see a problem with pricing as long as there are corals at different price points available for everyone.

So don't hate the vendors for selling overpriced coral when the problem is people ignore the cheaper but just as beautiful corals because they don't have fancy names.

I remember when Jack O Lanterb Lepto first came out and people paid $100 a frag. Now no one buys them at $20 a frag.

Nutramar Foods

zoomonster

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked at a live sale, the very first coral has a 600.00 discount! I'm there!
I just looked at a live sale too and still laughing at the prices and the sizes.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Ultimate Corals
Back