Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24k Gold,Sun God ULTRA gold, Grail Gold, Master Gold, Super Gold x combination of tips and body :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Don’t forget the Hellfire, Dragonsoul, Holy Grail, Indo Gold, Aussie Gold…

Top Shelf Aquatics

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It used to be a better deal to buy online than in store. That has changed, imo. I suggest only buying online when it is the only option. There are also more vendors and businesses now because a lot of wholesalers no longer require a physical store for a retail account.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting more involved with local facebook reef groups (as much as I avoid FB). Some price well, some price a bit on the stupid side. You learn quick who moves frags that are priced right and follow them.
I give away coral in my group. Not junk either. I make free giveaway drawings and meetup with the reefers. It's a great way to meet people.

Fort Salty

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me this is kind of like when a contractor shows up to do an initial estimate, and he rolls up with a $90,000 truck lifted with spacers. Yeah, I think I'm getting a second opinion from the dude with a truck from the 90's and his kid with him. People are just willing to throw their money away right now. It's crazy, and creates wild inflation that surely can't last.

What's really scary is that these are the people are out voting, protesting, etc. We really need to raise our kids (or grandkids for some) better than the last few generations.

FS

j.falk

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...when a contractor shows up to do an initial estimate, and he rolls up with a $90,000 truck lifted with spacers.
I love those guys. As soon as they pull up, I always tell the wife: We're definitely not paying his asking price. Go ahead and call someone else. :grinning-face-with-sweat:

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

WestMI-Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me this is kind of like when a contractor shows up to do an initial estimate, and he rolls up with a $90,000 truck lifted with spacers. Yeah, I think I'm getting a second opinion from the dude with a truck from the 90's and his kid with him. People are just willing to throw their money away right now. It's crazy, and creates wild inflation that surely can't last.

What's really scary is that these are the people are out voting, protesting, etc. We really need to raise our kids (or grandkids for some) better than the last few generations.

FS
Agreed. Unfortunately, I fear we are too far gone. I pray I’m wrong.

Good call on passing on lifted super duty contractor guy. His truck is nice, but the work he leaves to an army of inexperienced thieving addicts that he pimps. That’s how he leases the truck lol. Gross.

Last edited:

PhishMonger84

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the behavior of the vendor is not an extinction burst, meaning they raise capital or go out of business or go out of business anyway, then understand the tactic but for long term repeat business you would think ( especially with newer hobbyist) you would price your bread and butter coral- think confidence boosters- at a low price to get ppl in, successful and then willing to pay higher prices for the more exotic pieces but even things like GSP are outlandishly expensive

Top Shelf Aquatics

yanetterer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was more referring to sales today and none of them were discounted but prices inflated and a supposed discount offered making it last weeks listed price and notable prices that have more than doubled this calendar year
I wonder if it is the same site I am thinking of. I know of one that you can find past WYSIWYG items with a little searching. I did that during a live sale and it made me question what makes it a "sale".

Bruttall

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Online prices scared me away. Not to mention the 50 bucks for 2 zoa polyp crap when 20 bucks gets me 7 to 9 polyps locally. So I shopped local for almost everything in my tank. The notable exception is my CuC mostly got from reefcleaners.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I can understand some of the pricing for coral pieces. Like Zoas, if they’re dragged it’s often that the frags don’t survive and that boosts the pricing.
Acros some of them are insane but some of them are near on impossible to get, and can take years to grow as frags. Some of the colouring on them can also be specific to one single strain or species.
Mushrooms I can also understand for a similar reason - Bounce mushrooms are a hard one to get and it’s not known why they bounce. Whether it’s genetic or to do with the growing environment.

And so on… But the one coral I will never know why they’re so expensive is;
Torches. These guys grow like wildfire when happy. They frag relatively easily as well. Their colours are nice but look at how many ‘Gold’ torches are out there. What makes one gold more special than the other?
And I mean when under even just a bit of white you can’t see that gold… here’s my Hellfire torch for example. I know it’s a good torch due to when it’s under 100% blues it gives gold and green streaking on each tentacle.
View attachment 3162098
Good point on torch coral- Prices go up -up- up and theyre not even collector or rare coral

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sorry to rant but its getting disgusting with coral prices. I went on three sites and my favorite site (will not disclose) . . . . I had to close the pages at page 3-4 as the prices are beyond insane and very unwelcoming to new hobbyists who many want that certain starter coral(s) and may be able to get one or two at these prices and add $30-40 for shipping on top of it..
I have been buying local and from private parties and am glad I made that switch.
Some, I paid $10-$20 a year or a little more ago and are now $55-$75 especially for two head zoa or other bread and butter coral.
And this PERCENTAGE off of sale price is a load of garbage as One in particular was $75 and 20% off last week (making it $60.00) and today its $65.00 and 10% making it $59.50 - Still $60
Just sad.. . .. . .
ANYWAY, HOPING EVERYONE IS HAVING A GREAT WEEKEND AND ENJOYING THEIR TANKS

If anyone is interested, I have tons of Hammers and Zoas that I'd be willing to trade.

amoore311

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just hope everyone realizes the very forum you’re ranting on is a big part of the problem.

It takes just a little bit of poking around to find out who’s in it for the money, and who’s in it for the love of the hobby.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait are there people here who wouldn’t put 30k on a fish that looks injured?!???!!!View attachment 3161151
I have one maybe lol :oops: I would never pay 30k for any animal
IMG_20230515_102039.jpg

BRS

asome_one

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the reef expo came to Pittsburgh it was great! Got a boat load of corals for pretty fair prices. Then a few days later see vendors on Facebook groups complaining that the people are so cheap here. I personally didn't think things were super cheap....just fair. Also I've been taking part in WWC ebay monthly sales....past 3 months I've been able to nab at least 8 frags of various zoas, shrooms, and lps and I spend around 100 total. Gotta be quick though....I go through all the coral days prior to the end of the auctions. Typically the first hour of auctions ending you can get frags for 5-8 dollars.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. That might actually be nicer than the all white one WWC has.
I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like this or if it was because of the environment it was in before I got it.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another issue with bigger stores charging more is the hobbyist growing in their garage also feel they can get the same without any overhead etc. I reached out to a few locals who grow on the side and they wanted ridiculous prices for zoas and frogspawns. $5 a polyp from a hobbyist for a basic zoa imo is ridiculous it should be more like $10-20 for a decent frag plug filled unless it high end stuff.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

AVAST
Back