Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jokes aside, prices have certainly gotten out of control. I understand that places run businesses and have bills to pay, families to provide for, and an operation to sustain. No one cares if you make some money, in fact, many of us are happy that you make money. Where I have a problem is when it seems they are trying to make all of the money on a single item, and when it seems to be taking advantage of the uninitiated.

I think there is another issue with hobbyist contributing to all of this. Seems like a growing number of people are buying corals as “investments” and similarly asking ridiculous prices from other locals. For example, I used to never hear people talk about “yeah it’s $400, but if I frag it I can sell them for $350 all day bro.” And it’s becoming more common to see people selling a rose bubble tip for $100 because “it’s a rainbow splatter bubble tip, and that’s what they go for around me.”

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
yes the math was easy... and yes they don't look very tall atall, i dont believe they are WYSIWYG, but with the availability and the current pricing of things it didn't seem like an astronomical expense for two nice pieces of color to add to my system, im well stocked so now it's about choice pieces over quantity as space is limited.

question is, is it a fair price to most, would others pay that? I wouldn't pay more but I don't expect them to be much less.

here's the vendors they originally came from

oops Not the ASD I'm sorry couldn't find their site that quick
View attachment 3162791 View attachment 3162792
I’ve seen these for $45

Fishy888

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Online prices scared me away. Not to mention the 50 bucks for 2 zoa polyp crap when 20 bucks gets me 7 to 9 polyps locally. So I shopped local for almost everything in my tank. The notable exception is my CuC mostly got from reefcleaners.
Speaking of which I may need to order from them soon.

Nutramar Foods

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree 100% the frag game, along with ludicrous hype names to jack up prices is nuts.

The only point I'll make as devils advocate is freight prices.

This morning I checked an invoice from 2019, fish prices were barely less, and air freight Jakarta-LAX was $120 Per box. This week it's $530. That's an insane amount and would absolutely drive fish prices and coral prices up.

But the other reasons for prices being jacked up is just stupid.

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sorry to rant but its getting disgusting with coral prices. I went on three sites today with live sales and my favorite site (will not disclose) . . . . I had to close the pages at page 3-4 on each site as the prices are beyond insane and very unwelcoming to new hobbyists who many want that certain starter coral(s) and may be able to get one or two at these prices and add $30-40 for shipping on top of it..
I have been buying local and from private parties and am glad I made that switch.
Some, I paid $10-$20 a year or a little more ago and are now $55-$75 especially for two head zoa or other bread and butter coral.
And this PERCENTAGE off of sale price is a load of garbage as One in particular was $75 and 20% off last week (making it $60.00) and today its $65.00 and 10% making it $59.50 - Still $60
Just sad.. . .. . .
ANYWAY, HOPING EVERYONE IS HAVING A GREAT WEEKEND AND ENJOYING THEIR TANKS
Awesome post - I however, never understand how so many people are repeatedly buying coral. My assumption would be that they buy their frags - and they grow and thats their aquarium.

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Devils advocate, kinda… typically when you buy local there isn’t much recourse for death after you leave. Reputable online vendors have a doa policy, as well as a few to ten days replacement. With shipping, not just the cost but the delays and damage, the vendor takes a hit every now and then that they have to build into pricing. Insurance doesn’t really work with livestock, so it’s not like the vendor gets anything when there’s a loss. There’s also slow growers that a local pruning their tank doesn’t care about, but a vendor dedicating real estate to needs to account for. Plus if people continue to pay up, the pricing won’t go down. Some online vendors do have decently priced beginner packs to get you started if you’re on a budget. That said, I totally agree, it’s totally nuts! There are great pieces out there that are phenomenal but aren’t the hyped up craze of the day that are reasonable.

edit. I forgot about all the vendor sales on here! You are so right! It’s daily. It reminds me of the old going out of business sales tactic. Stores would have a twenty year old, faded, tattered, going out of business sale banner out front. That’s a heck of a long time to fold up shop.
If you buy from an LFS - I think there is recourse - especially if you're a regular customer.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Fishy888

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of complaining about things...why isn't everyone promoting the vendors and websites that DO OFFER GOOD DEALS? :)

I'd love to find out where everyone is finding the bargains at. Save me some money! :cool:
The problem with that is that there aren’t any good deals to be had online. Even if I could get a rare super duper Aussie gold rumblin’ rainbow xenia for the same price as with a local reefer, one still has to pay for shipping which can be higher than the corals themselves. Of course there are people who have no choice but to buy from online vendors, and there are some online vendors who support R2R. Still the local hobbyist and decent LFSs is where the deals will always be.

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of you are blatantly missing the obvious.

Ignoring shipping carry on costs that are out of anyone’s reasonable control and both affect you directly and the wholesale cost of coral… (let’s call that fixed inflation).

If vendors keep raising prices (increasing margin) and you keep paying then you only have yourself and others who keep paying to blame. 30% margin or 3000% margin, supply and demand are only part of the equation, the other half is consumer acceptance. You don’t want to pay extra for dumb names, then don’t and speak with your wallet.

To those beating up LFSs - you can’t have it both ways. You want top notch service and selection, then spend there regularly and demand it. Most business owners cater to good customers.

Spicy Reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somehow people buying goods in the reefing hobby made the jump from commodity to "stock" mentality.
I mean, who coined the term "Dream Reef" or "Dream Aquarium"...
buy.jpg

AquaCave Logo Banner

ptrick21186

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hell the price of EVERYTHING is up lately. Why would corals be any different? Plus I imagine the overhead of running an aquatic store has to be pretty high. All the insane energy costs have to be trickling down. They don't make it easy for us little guys.....

Top Shelf Aquatics

|Frank|

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ca1ore

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
, it just hasnt broke me yet.

it’s not that for me either, more that I just find the whole industry increasingly distasteful and I dont intend to ‘play’ anymore.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Spicy Reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's crazy to think just this morning I saw a frag of "Pulsing Xenia" on sale for $19.99 from $39.99. I mean this stuff is a weed, and with this price my kids would come outta collage debt free and I'd be showering in cash.

Make It Rain Money GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
I just pulled out about 15 heads and tossed them this morning... I could be rich!!!!

WestMI-Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's crazy to think just this morning I saw a frag of "Pulsing Xenia" on sale for $19.99 from $39.99. I mean this stuff is a weed, and with this price my kids would come outta collage debt free and I'd be showering in cash.

Make It Rain Money GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
I’m surprised no ones started throwing in GSP/ Xenia for free just to attract more business. I think it would attract the newcomers and it’s a weed.

Fishy888

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m surprised no ones started throwing in GSP/ Xenia for free just to attract more business. I think it would attract the newcomers and it’s a weed.
But… that would make sense, and require the vendors to think about others instead of themselves…

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Awesome post - I however, never understand how so many people are repeatedly buying coral. My assumption would be that they buy their frags - and they grow and thats their aquarium.
I understand and believe its impulse, sort of like Ebay. People are somewhat aware of prices but want to be first or the winner and will disregard cost and panic for acquisition to get that prize.
As some indicated, its also that beautiful photoshopped photography that hypnotizes one, envisioning that glowing frag or coral in their tank.

Truth often is:

corala.png

Last edited:

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of you are blatantly missing the obvious.

Ignoring shipping carry on costs that are out of anyone’s reasonable control and both affect you directly and the wholesale cost of coral… (let’s call that fixed inflation).

If vendors keep raising prices (increasing margin) and you keep paying then you only have yourself and others who keep paying to blame. 30% margin or 3000% margin, supply and demand are only part of the equation, the other half is consumer acceptance. You don’t want to pay extra for dumb names, then don’t and speak with your wallet.

To those beating up LFSs - you can’t have it both ways. You want top notch service and selection, then spend there regularly and demand it. Most business owners cater to good customers.
I think I have been speaking with my wallet. Only online vendor I've bought from this year was in Jan from one I've generally found to be reasonable and consistent. But my coral buying rate has been roughly the same, just a shift to buying local.

I think this thread by @vetteguy53081 serves not just as a rant (and a good one), but also a PSA to others not in the know that this isn't the norm and that established reefers may not be OK with it. For a newcomer, the takeaway is "maybe I don't have to spend $100 per frag."

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Pacific East
Back