+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Guys,

I cannot find a description for the type of rock I have added images to. To me these are not suitable for aquariums. I think colonies started to be sold as rocks after coral bleaching problems. Anyone have an idea about this?

122098004_356533969013113_8732997493203424911_n.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Toygar Niron

Toygar Niron

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonga rock'a benziyor. Ya da tonga rock gibi görünmesi için yapılmış sahte bir dekorasyon

Yes, the most similar live rock genre when I researched is tonga. But the tonga is much thicker. Do you agree with me that such live rocks are not suitable?

Is there a resource where I can access live rock types?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock to me means it's in water and previously cycled. Usually sold when already covered in coraline algae. Can get them shipped from places, I got mine from local stores. Rocks like your picture are either manufactured to look a certain way or taken from nature and cleaned.

OP
OP
Toygar Niron

Toygar Niron

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock to me means it's in water and previously cycled. Usually sold when already covered in coraline algae. Can get them shipped from places, I got mine from local stores. Rocks like your picture are either manufactured to look a certain way or taken from nature and cleaned.

I'm not talking about the living part of the Rock. I know these are dry rock. I would like to know if they are suitable for aquariums. So I wanted to consult people here and get their opinion.

For example, could these rocks colonize bacteria in the future?

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not talking about the living part of the Rock. I know these are dry rock. I would like to know if they are suitable for aquariums. So I wanted to consult people here and get their opinion.

For example, could these rocks colonize bacteria in the future?
Yes, they can harbor beneficial bacteria just like other live rocks

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming:
This is really what it looks like and not plaster casts. The glue used to pull the structure together is safe.

Then:
This is suitable for your aquariums because it is calcium carbonate based.

Why you don't want to use it:

This is very likely NOT ethically collected. Staghorn is a very slow grower and it takes many many years to build structure. Live collecting is very destructive. At best pulling the breakage of from under the colonies isn't going to produce a lot of pieces and the temptation will be to break off more. I would pass on this stuff from an ethical perspective.

FWIW

BRS
OP
OP
Toygar Niron

Toygar Niron

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello HuduVudu,

There is an extensive website about saltwater aquariums in Turkey. I'm preparing an article on live rock. In my country, these rocks are sold as Fiji. I'm trying to figure out if this is true or not. My questions are not for myself but for a large community :)

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be clear this rock is not live rock. Live rock is going to be encrusted with other species and the coral that it once was has long been changed into the new live rock state. You can see my build thread for what Tonga and Fiji premium rock looks like dead. I would have to dig up old pictures to show what they look like live.

The picture you provided is more akin to what was seen in the hobby in the 70s and the 80s when coral was killed and bleach for decoration. The only difference is the rock in your picture has been glued together to form a decorative shape. Most likely a negative space look.

I have sold live and dead rock for years, so I have seen a lot of what has been in the hobby here in the U.S.

Maybe this is getting closer to answering your question. :)

World Wide Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Queen City Corals
Back