Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All right now, I guess since my buddy Jimmy will never figure out to use his computer. I'll go ahead and start this build thread for him. Since his build truly does deserve a thread. Lets start from the beginning. Jimmy was sitting there checking out the local for sale section like he does every day, probably six times a day. Feeling the need to spend some money on fish/coral or some supply that he probably doesn't even really need. There it was BAMMMMMMMM! Greg to local fish store owner was selling his six hundred gallon fish only cube. The little hamsters started running like they were main lining Red Bull in Jimmy's head.

Jimmy gave me a call and says "What do you think about me turning the 600 gallon cube into a reef?" I proceeded to tell him for the next month. "DON'T DO IT, IT'S TOOOO BIG". You would have to be insane to even attempt to turn a fish only tank into a reef of that size. You'll need to drop all kinds of cash on pumps, ballast, bulbs, wiring, end caps, PVC, PVC glue, bulkheads, spa-flex, lock-line, buffing, chemicals, salt, RO filters, DI resin, fish, rock, paint, powder coating, aluminum, rivets, light diffuser, wood, molding and sand. It all went in one ear and out the other. Jimmy could picture the giant reef inside of his house.

So the next Saturday there we were at the store before opening hours loading up Jimmy's new (used) cube onto a buddy's trailer. That was a job all in itself. But we managed to get it done. We dropped off tank in Jimmy's garage for now. The stand was dropped off a few days later at the powder coaters. The steel stand was in pretty rough shape. It had some major rust, beyond surface rust and was really showing its age. It was beyond the standard spray paint job. It needed to be completely sand blasted down to bare metal and some minor repairs.

So a week later, they called and said the stand was ready for pick up. We decided to go with something a little different than the usual generic black or blue. Since the tank is going to be a complete and total rebuild. Were going to do it right, and give it a pizazz. The stand is was powder coated bright red. It came out awesome. It cost a decent chunk of change since they had to put some man hours into it, but it was well worth it. I looks like a new car.

Here are a few pictures of the stand when I picked it up from the powder coaters. I'll get some better pictures later and update this thread a little more. We have a pile of goodies sitting in the garage just waiting for the big set up. I'll tell a little more later. Its not worth it, going into to much detail with out the pictures to back it. I know were all picture junkies.

I'll start with a picture before we tore it down at the fish store.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
five O

five O

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some pics
tankpriortobuild.jpg
stand.jpg
stand3.jpg
stand2.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
five O

five O

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This last weekend, Jimmy and I built his light rack. Jimmy is not the real handy man, but he is one of those guys that would bend over backwords to help you out. So he was my extra set of hands while the rack was assebled. Plus he was able to take the pictures while I built the rack.
material.jpg

rackinprog.jpg

rackinprog2-1.jpg

meandtherack.jpg

OP
OP
five O

five O

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its acrylic. Which is fine. I specialize in acrylic repair/scratch removal. That is how I fund the hobby. I fix peoples damaged/scratched up tanks. Which pays for my corals/supplies. It will be a completely different tank once it is complete. Bye Bye blue over flow fosho!!!

AS

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its acrylic. Which is fine. I specialize in acrylic repair/scratch removal. That is how I fund the hobby. I fix peoples damaged/scratched up tanks. Which pays for my corals/supplies. It will be a completely different tank once it is complete. Bye Bye blue over flow fosho!!!
Thank gawd!!!! I hate that crap I'm gonna send all the polish jobs to you haha....

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
five O

five O

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i really like these huge cubes. is that light rack alum. angle?
Yep, its all angle for the most part. The flat stock would be to flexible. The angle gives it all the strength. Plus with all the pieces crossing, it gives it plenty of support. Its all held together with 150 alum rivets. It came out pretty nice and is a lot strocger than expected.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back