IM 100 EXT with control board build

insideout308

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok got the tank up and running. Filled with water and testing the roller fleece.
Water flowing into the roller filter is quite loud. Audible even when cabinet doors are shut. The sound is caused by the water creating a mini waterfall as it cascades via the side rectangular openings into the filter. For now I stuffed some foam pieces to completely silence it. I went ahead and placed an order for the silencer pieces. Hopefully it solves the sound issue. Other than the sound I think the roller filter works.
https://www.fijicube.com/cdn/shop/products/ARF-20Silencer_A_1080x.png?v=1676870928

IMG_7947.jpeg IMG_7948.jpeg IMG_7949.jpeg
I have the rfs-23 with the klir di-4 roller mat and what helped with that noisy waterfall effect was setting my water height higher to 10-11" for my first chamber so the water doesn't have to drop as far. May not be a thing with the rfs-39 but mine was still noisy going from the skimmer/refugium chamber to return chamber if the water levels were too far apart. I set the water levels in each chamber to step down roughly 1-1.5" in water level to help with that now the sump is silent.

I'll be following this closely for the roller mat really wish I knew this one fits in the rfs sumps before I bought the klir di-4. It works great but I'm burning through the tiny roll it uses roughly every 2 weeks and at $16 a roll if this Fiji cube one can last a month or two it'll be worth switching for me.

OP
OP
N

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the rfs-23 with the klir di-4 roller mat and what helped with that noisy waterfall effect was setting my water height higher to 10-11" for my first chamber so the water doesn't have to drop as far. May not be a thing with the rfs-39 but mine was still noisy going from the skimmer/refugium chamber to return chamber if the water levels were too far apart. I set the water levels in each chamber to step down roughly 1-1.5" in water level to help with that now the sump is silent.

I'll be following this closely for the roller mat really wish I knew this one fits in the rfs sumps before I bought the klir di-4. It works great but I'm burning through the tiny roll it uses roughly every 2 weeks and at $16 a roll if this Fiji cube one can last a month or two it'll be worth switching for me.
thanks for sharing your experience. I tried the same ie raising the water level in the sump to the max ie 11 inches for exactly the same reasons. What I found was that I had to flip the float switch holder in order to raise the height of the switch. After doing that the sound of water flowing into the filter is reduced. At upto 20% power setting on the varios 8 return pump, the filter is completely silent. The sound starts above 20% power and continues to increase a little until the return pump reaches 40%. After that it gets a lot louder. I hope that the silencer plates will quiet things down such that the filter is totally silent at 40% power setting for the return pump

OP
OP
N

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn it! I must be jinxed, karma for not doing my own plumbing this time round! The main drainpipe leaked after running the tank for a day. This time the leak is happening at the bulkhead of the main drain attached to the overflow box. I unscrewed the bulkhead and it turns out it's because the replacement drain pipe is just a little shorter in reach ie about 0.5 inch than my original drain. This causes uneven clamping force on the seals of the bulkhead causing one side of the oring & flat seal to be pinched and opens up a small gap to allow a tiny drip.
Will be doing a bit of DIY/hack to fix this annoying issue. I am going to cut the two drain pipes I have now and use a union or 1 inch slip coupler to fix this for good!

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok question for anyone who’s looking at this thread. What’s the neatest way to fix this leak without cutting the pipe. Anyone used JB water weld on pvc pipes?, use self fusing silicone tape? Used Weldon 810 epoxy?

IMG_7811.jpeg

OP
OP
N

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or cut a pvc ring and slip it over the leaking area and glue it in with Oatley PVC glue? An idea I got from a product called “leak b gone”

OP
OP
N

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so used some diluted pvc glue mix in some pvc shavings and forced it into the gap and after it dried wrapped some self fusing silicone tape.

IMG_7973.jpeg

OP
OP
N

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installed the silencer plates to the Fiji cube filter. There’s still water sound at 30% setting for the various 8 pump

IMG_7976.jpeg IMG_7975.jpeg

OP
OP
N

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point, I think the only way to get this filter fleece to run absolutely silent is to have a hose attachment to feed the water directly into the circular side opening of the filter fleece. I’ll see if I can mock something up.

IMG_7976.jpeg IMG_7975.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway since I am pretty happy with the filter working with my DIY extensions, I'm confident enough to post the drawings.
Measurements are metric because I sent them to an acrylic cutter that preferred metric measurements.

Added cutouts for clarity.

fiji_template_metric_final.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw I had to set the water height in the 1st chamber of the RFS39 to 11 inches to quiet down the cascading water sound. The silencer plates helped cut the sound down to something that is inaudible at 6 feet away with the cabinets closed. But the varios 8 can only work at 30 to 40% setting, any higher the water flowing into the filter can be heard.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update regarding the roller filter. I’ve now tested the filter with different flow settings from low to high by slowly increasing my return pump setting from 10 to 100%. The results are surprising.

At the lower end of the return pump flow from 10 to 20% setting, the filter is absolutely silent.

Above 25% pump setting water flow starts to be audible and sound increases gradually. The sound is hardly audible when standing 6-8 feet from the tank with cabinet doors shut.

From 40% to 60% the sound of water gets much louder. Easily hear gurgling sound even at a distance of 8 feet away.

Around 65% gurgling sound goes away intermittently.

And at 70% pump setting water flow thru the filter is nearly silent, only a very faint sound. Totally silent/inaudible when standing in front of tank with cabinet doors closed.

As the pump speed pushes past the 70% setting to 100% the water flow becomes totally silent. No gurgling… absolute silence. In fact the humming sound of the varios 8 pump is the loudest sound!

OP
OP
N

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minor update, after 3-4 days running the filter fleece, it seems to be pulling out particulates. The float valve works flawlessly on the filter. I increased the float valve height by about 1/4 inch to delay the filter fleece from using the roll too fast and also let the fleece get a bit darker.

Attachments

• IMG_8002.jpeg
    IMG_8002.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
N

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a 3/4 inch pipe to help apply some tension and keep the fleece taut.

Attachments

• IMG_8003.jpeg
    IMG_8003.jpeg
    149.4 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
N

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also reused the splash plate that came with the RFS sump to slow down the flow. This serves 2 purpose.
(1) It stops all splashing and salt splashes and allow a more gentle flow into the filter basket
(2) I can put a sponge or filter floss ahead of the splash guard to trap copepods and amphiphods and some large particulates so the fleece doesn’t clog up quickly. Any copepods or amphipods trapped or living in the filter floss/sponge can be rinsed out and returned to the tank/refugium

IMG_8005.jpeg IMG_8004.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chanced upon a piece of live pukani or maybe Marshall island rock. Rock was in a fishless vat for many months prior. Placed directly into tank with a reef art branching rock. Plan is to use the reef rock as a shelf piece to place coral frags on.

Attachments

• 02DDB9B0-5D84-4AC7-9ECF-B6199905B764.jpeg
    02DDB9B0-5D84-4AC7-9ECF-B6199905B764.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
N

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank update, dumped 4 bottles of copepods about 3weeks ago. Added a harlequin tusk 2weeks ago July 6th and a pair of clown fish July 21st with a lime green/purplish long tentacle anemone

IMG_8084.jpeg IMG_8077.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just a quick update, the filter roll lasted exactly 2 months. Also I found out the klir4 filter controller works well with the motor on the Fiji cube fleece filter. One draw back to the Fiji filter is that the motor is enclosed in an acrylic that’s glued shut. Wish they didn’t do that and made the motor more accessible and easily replaced.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back