OP
OP
N

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you plumbing in your UV to the overflow coming down into the sump, or just going to run it with a pump to and from the sump? I have a Red Sea S 550, and do not want to mess with the pre-plumbing or risk issues with the warranty. Thinking I'll eventually add a UV like and just run it with a pump in/from the sump.

Also, is your tank blocking your door?

Good catch on the leak! Following along.
I'm still undecided about how to plumb the UV. Will be nice to have some way to put the UV inline with the return and add a flow meter. Alternatively use a standalone pump and recirculate the water in the return section of the sump.

OP
OP
N

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going back and forth about building a control board and finally decided to get the mini adaptive reef board to mount in the APS 100 ext stand.

OP
OP
N

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
test fitting the controller board. Had to remove one of the side doors to accommodate things.

IMG_7894.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally received the replacement drain pipe from innovative marine. Great customer service from IM, and I can actually speak to a person within the company. Thanks to Brian at IM for expediting the replacement.

OP
OP
N

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/8 inch square dowels notched to form the retaining bar for the control board

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 62

Etkini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've been working on designing a filter roller for mine like I did with my IM 15g AIO because I couldn't find anything close to what I wanted that would fit. I'm curious to see how you get yours working, it would be nice to have a design to base it off of, if not just purchase that Fiji one itself.

OP
OP
N

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been working on designing a filter roller for mine like I did with my IM 15g AIO because I couldn't find anything close to what I wanted that would fit. I'm curious to see how you get yours working, it would be nice to have a design to base it off of, if not just purchase that Fiji one itself.
Sure I will add the updates and some pictures later. I made a couple of acrylic extension pieces to help attach the fiji cube filter. The width dimension ie 110mm is perfect to sit inside the RFS39 filter area

1718411440645.png

OP
OP
N

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mounted some of the equipment on the controller board this morning. Still need to make another side board from pvc to fill up the open area. Open area is 5”x30” plan to make it out of pvc board

Attachments

• IMG_7898.jpeg
    IMG_7898.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 62

Etkini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sure I will add the updates and some pictures later. I made a couple of acrylic extension pieces to help attach the fiji cube filter. The width dimension ie 110mm is perfect to sit inside the RFS39 filter area

1718411440645.png

I did look up the dimensions on that last night as well and saw the 110mm (4.34") width would be a perfect fit for the bracket inside. By acrylic extensions I'm assuming you mean you're increasing the length of it from the 250mm. I modeled the sump in CAD a few weeks ago and believe that area is 345mm (13.6") long.

Your control board idea is nice as well. I ended up screwing a piece of black plywood to the back supports cut to shape to hang my power bars, UV light, ATO pump and a few other small things, and all the controllers are double sided taped to the inside of 3 doors.

OP
OP
N

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did look up the dimensions on that last night as well and saw the 110mm (4.34") width would be a perfect fit for the bracket inside. By acrylic extensions I'm assuming you mean you're increasing the length of it from the 250mm. I modeled the sump in CAD a few weeks ago and believe that area is 345mm (13.6") long.

Your control board idea is nice as well. I ended up screwing a piece of black plywood to the back supports cut to shape to hang my power bars, UV light, ATO pump and a few other small things, and all the controllers are double sided taped to the inside of 3 doors.
Thanks, I just about managed to squeeze the control board and all the bits and pieces into the side opening. There’s so little room in the stand after putting in the RFS 39 sump.
About the acrylic extension yes the 250mm plate has to be increased. And the other extension is for the height of the roller motor
I’ll verify the roller fleece filter works in the sump before posting the final dimensions of the acrylic extension used.

image.jpg

OP
OP
N

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
roller filter mounted in the sump. Enough space to pull out filter to service it and change fleece roll. Fits with door closed.

image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
N

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nearly done with the front of the control board panel. Need to make a border trim that slots into the aluminum channels to secure the entire panel and give it a more finished look.
To prevent water from the sump splashing onto the electronics, I’ll cut a piece of 1/8” acrylic or abs to cover the entire back portion of the control board. This will create an isolated compartment. There’s a piece of 1/8” acrylic slotted in as a test piece.

Attachments

• IMG_7905.jpeg
    IMG_7905.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_7906.jpeg
    IMG_7906.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 65
OP
OP
N

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM should make the sump a 32" or 34"...the 39" sump takes up too much room inside the stand
Totally agree! 36" with an optional built-in fleece roller will be ideal. I went with the RFS39 simply because of the availability of the ready-made plumbing. The only weakness with the plumbing is the 3/4-inch return pipe. Wished it was a 1-inch pipe instead.

fishface NJ

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree! 36" with an optional built-in fleece roller will be ideal. I went with the RFS39 simply because of the availability of the ready-made plumbing. The only weakness with the plumbing is the 3/4-inch return pipe. Wished it was a 1-inch pipe instead.
I totally agree on everything you posted. I love the IM 100 tank and stand but the sump is a turnoff because it takes up too much room for me personally. I had emailed them on Friday about the next side up which is the IM 150. Only reason I was looking at it is because I could get it without the sump. I asked the weight of the tank alone (without the crate/packaging) so I would know how heavy it would be to carry....tank is 420 pounds! No way could I handle that. My floors aren't level so it would be dealing with the tank coming on and off to get the shims on. Good luck with the tank! I have been following you since you first posted.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
liking the control board. I just modified an inexpensive cabinet I found. Was contemplating using a jewelry armoire and have each drawer have its own control. like one of those circular ones so it's unique. I just turned my lights back up.

OP
OP
N

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree on everything you posted. I love the IM 100 tank and stand but the sump is a turnoff because it takes up too much room for me personally. I had emailed them on Friday about the next side up which is the IM 150. Only reason I was looking at it is because I could get it without the sump. I asked the weight of the tank alone (without the crate/packaging) so I would know how heavy it would be to carry....tank is 420 pounds! No way could I handle that. My floors aren't level so it would be dealing with the tank coming on and off to get the shims on. Good luck with the tank! I have been following you since you first posted.
Try calling IM, maybe better luck at getting just the tank without the fleece roller. If you are prepared to do the plumbing, try asking if IM can supply the plumbing parts not pre glued. That way you can adjust the pipe lengths and scoot the RFS39 sump over to the left by another 3 inch so that you get a total of 6to7 inches of free space to the right of the sump. I was going to do that but got lazy.

OP
OP
N

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way I came across this video about managing ich and velvet with UV.
From what’s described/inferred, I’ll probably plumb the UV to take/return the water separately from/to the tank.

OP
OP
N

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok got the tank up and running. Filled with water and testing the roller fleece.
Water flowing into the roller filter is quite loud. Audible even when cabinet doors are shut. The sound is caused by the water creating a mini waterfall as it cascades via the side rectangular openings into the filter. For now I stuffed some foam pieces to completely silence it. I went ahead and placed an order for the silencer pieces. Hopefully it solves the sound issue. Other than the sound I think the roller filter works.
https://www.fijicube.com/cdn/shop/products/ARF-20Silencer_A_1080x.png?v=1676870928

IMG_7947.jpeg IMG_7948.jpeg IMG_7949.jpeg

Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back