If you were to ban one fish from the hobby what would it be?

BRS

glency

Review score
+6 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+6 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any Yellow Tang. They have no personality, they’re aggressive, they’re a plain yellow fish, they’re v e r y overrated. Change my mind.

Like come on, couldn’t you have a different yellow fish? It’s like every man and their dog has a yellow tang and when you ask “can you think of a yellow fish” nobody mentions other fish outside of yellow tangs

Nutramar Foods

glency

Review score
+6 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+6 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any Yellow Tang. They have no personality, they’re aggressive, they’re a plain yellow fish, they’re v e r y overrated. Change my mind.

Like come on, couldn’t you have a different yellow fish? It’s like every man and their dog has a yellow tang and when you ask “can you think of a yellow fish” nobody mentions other fish outside of yellow tangs.
Lemon peel angel are so much prettier.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Jase4224

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None. But.. I think more difficult fish should come in way lower numbers and be charged a premium price.. there should also be serious penalties for poor collection methods. LFS should be WAY more responsible and heavily advise against certain species of fish and at the very least offer full QT to customers willing to pay or who can’t do so themselves. There is more profit in a long term customer than a quick sale so no excuses.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything not bred by @Biota_Marine
I would agree with you but over this side of the pond getting Biota or ORA cb fish is a PITA. This would also get rid of many fish that nobody knows how to breed in captivity such as wrasses, many of the gobies (We don’t actually captive breed many of the gobies available in the hobby), almost every Angel and the vast majority of tangs.
I vote none also....but we in the hobby should be smart enough to know our experience limits, and do our own research, not rely on the LFS to advise which fish to buy.
This. When we get into this hobby it should really be down to our own experiences. Yes there are many beautiful fish that are a higher tier but you should really try to get to know the basics first through starting with say clownfish then slowly advance to a harder species for example maybe a bristletooth tang and eventually getting into the Harder species such as Copperbands and Achilles Tangs.

shrimplord

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you could magically get rid of one fish from the hobby what would it be?
it could be for fragility, temperament, pickiness, even if you frankly are sick of this fish.
Mine would be Chromis, they have so much against them, they are prone to an INCURABLE disease, whittle themselves to a school to one individual, marketed to beginners, many have been caught with cyanide, are kind of boring, etc...
the Neon Velvet Damsel. It is impossible to catch out of our tank and bullies every fish… the large tangs

BRS

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard wrasses
Why leopards in general?

I've kept almost every species of leopards alive and thriving long term(5+ years depending on species). They do require some knowledge, and have a very specific diet, but I have had none that would not eat frozen or pellets after a while.

The problem with most leopards, they are notoriously bad shippers. Most early deaths of leopards comes from shipping/acclimating stress.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could ban one fish from importers lists.... Mandarins.

99% of wild caught mandys starve to death. They are usually so emaciated when they get to our tanks, they just die despite having a large pod populations. Once they reach that extremely emaciated stage, they just refuse to eat, saving any energy they have trying to survive, and not wasting it on eating.

Captive bred in my opinion doesn't help, as my biota mandy reverted to pod only in my tanks that has a large pod population. He is fat and happy, but eats nothing but pods.

These truly are expert only fish, if only for their specialized eating habits.

Avast

Matrig

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Predatory fish as in lions, scorps, anglers, eels, and the like. Many require live foods to thrive and suffer a very high mortality rate. Dwarf, medium bodied lions, scorps, and anglers many times die before they even leave the lfs. Eels have a whooping 2 year lifespan in captivity as bragged about by Reefs while they live 20-30 years in the wild. Most hobbyist refuse to learn about their special care, and even when educated, refuse to put in the effort.
I have 3 of the above you are referring to. Dwarf lion, scorpion & eel. All are thriving in my tank because I care for them. No live food All locally wild caught too. Never spent any time in an lfs. Maybe it has to do with lfs care more than end user / carer care? No different than anything you buy. How has the previous carer cared for it.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote none also....but we in the hobby should be smart enough to know our experience limits, and do our own research, not rely on the LFS to advise which fish to buy.
That is a giant leap for mankind…as in you expect too much.

Mark Novack

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None. Any of them can be kept if properly collected and maintained. Blanket banning of animals leads to banning of more and more until eventually they are all banned. It's a slippery slope.
I second that. There are enough rules already in life.

lion king

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 of the above you are referring to. Dwarf lion, scorpion & eel. All are thriving in my tank because I care for them. No live food All locally wild caught too. Never spent any time in an lfs. Maybe it has to do with lfs care more than end user / carer care? No different than anything you buy. How has the previous carer cared for it.

How long have them, I have people tell me all the time how they kept a dwarf lion just fine, for 1 year. It's a rare thing to provide a proper dead diet that have them thrive for a decade. Nutritional defiencencies or thiaminese poisoning usually sets in within months to a year and a half. And many more refuse dead food than take it, or eventually will.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mackey

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But in the case of the chromis, no one, has figured out what to do to fix Uronema, we have ways to maybe prevent it, but we have no way of curing or treating it, also with chromis aggression, we have no fix. most reefers (even experienced ones) say that they whittle themselves down to 1.
And this might be a doomsday tangent but if we ever got a strain of Uronema that was as dangerous to other fish as it is to Chromis and Anthias, that really could end the hobby.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Frag Farm
Back