If You Could Only Have One Species of Fish in Your Tank, What Would it be and Why?

BRS

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many different species of fish out there and we as hobbyists tend to keep a lot of different fish as well. However, what if you could only have one species of fish in your tank? What would be that one fish species you would want to have in your tank?

Nutramar Foods
Top Shelf Aquatics

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many different species of fish out there and we as hobbyists tend to keep a lot of different fish as well. However, what if you could only have one species of fish in your tank? What would be that one fish species you would want to have in your tank?
When you ask we would love to hear that species you would choose as well

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you ask we would love to hear that species you would choose as well
It's a hard one for me, always have had a soft spot for clowns since I had some when I was a kid. But either clowns or tangs

Corals.com

revhtree

Owner Administrator
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
As much as I love clowns they are not diverse enough, IMO, for a whole tank full of them Even if they could live together. So I would have to choose tangs (surgeonfish).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oceallris clown harem living in a gigantea anemone. :)

Enderg60

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could only have one species I would go with look downs. A LFS near me had a 180 with almost no light and like 30 look downs near the entrance. It was amazing.

Second option, garden eels.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I could choose just one. I would need 2 sizeable tanks.

The first would be for a large collection of tangs. Maybe 12-18 Zebrasoma and then a collection of Acanthurus and a beautiful pair of blond Nasos.

This would give me 2 stunning fish constantly cruising the length of the tank in open water.

This would give me some eye catching fish rushing about the tank looking to ride the currents and picking at the aquascape.

And then the Zebrasomas - Yellows, Purples, a Gem and a black thrown in for balance - 20 of these moving in packs at time and at other times bright blasts of colors spread out all over the tank.

This would be my Action Tank.

For beauty the second tank would be angels. It wouldn't need to be as large a tank.

But the colors and intensity of colors and patterns on angels in nothing short of remarkable. There are definitely some beautiful butterflies, but I think you could build a more enjoyable viewing experiencing with angels.

Angels just glide around the tank casually for the most part. Centerpieces like an Imperator, Navarchus, Chrysurus, Goldflake. Open water cruisers like Bellus and Personatus. A rainbow lurking in a cave (yellow belly regal). And then all the little dwarves moving in an amoung the rocks - Harems of flames, Harems of Flame Backs, a Pair of Colini, a Pair of Venustus a trio of Goldens, a pair of multi-bar. Colors and patterns like almost nothing else.

Dave B

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

reeftankdude

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A black molly because of great contrast with all the other colors. Yes it is a fresh water fish that has to be acclimated, but that contrast makes it my choice. The price seems to be going up on them. They are now about $6 a pop lol.

PhishMonger84

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only set up a Saltwater tank after seeing a few triggers in person, huma huma, clown and a fusco and catching sergeant majors in a tidal pool.

It would be either a colony of a single species or singleton trigger

Never enjoyed freshwater planted tanks likewise coral doesn't really do much for me. so to me its only about the fish.

Nutramar Foods
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Zoanthids.com
Back