ICH

METZCOOLS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok yesterday I had ich breakout for one day on my Achilles and Powder Blue. Woke up this morning and lights come on at 10:00 and no signs of ich anymore? Been in hobby a long time and never seen this. Anyone experience similar situation?

OP
OP
METZCOOLS

METZCOOLS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would move your fish into a qt and begin to treat them for ICH. ICH can disappear but reappear again.

#fishmedic
I have had ich in this tank before and fish are all fat and healthy and with uv, selcon, and garlic i made it through the last outbreak that lasted about a week. Just never seen it come and go that fast.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Ok yesterday I had ich breakout for one day on my Achilles and Powder Blue. Woke up this morning and lights come on at 10:00 and no signs of ich anymore? Been in hobby a long time and never seen this. Anyone experience similar situation?
Do not assume its gone, at least yet. Often with lights out , the parasite will drop off into sand and reproduce and come back on the fish in numbers. Other than UV, are you medicating?
Selcon and garlic are immunity boosters and not a cure

OP
OP
METZCOOLS

METZCOOLS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No medicating due to inverts and coral. 600 gallon aquarium so draining down to catch fish is out of question. With 40 some fish I will see if they can fight it off as they have before. I suspect the 8 inch achilles i added 2 weeks ago has stressed them. Achilles was quarantined for 2 months with medicine.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is very common. When ich first gets started, all of the parasites are the same age and are in the same point of their life cycle - so the trophonts drop off at the same time. Later on in the infection, the parasites become out of sync and you then see spots all the time.

That said, it could have been sand grains (but tangs aren’t prone to getting sand stuck on their skin).

OP
OP
METZCOOLS

METZCOOLS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got lucky only 4 tangs showed ich at one point. They have been clean and no signs of it for 2 days. Not sure if it was a week strain or fish are fat and healthy and able to fend off a ich attack. Either way at this point we are trending in the right direction.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got lucky only 4 tangs showed ich at one point. They have been clean and no signs of it for 2 days. Not sure if it was a week strain or fish are fat and healthy and able to fend off a ich attack. Either way at this point we are trending in the right direction.

Good to hear! Just remember though, if it is ich, it can return at any time, so observe you fish closely to watch for that.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back