Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering replacing dual mp10s with two of these. They gyre has a wider output right? How about water drawing into it though? Does it seem to be coming from just the width of the gyre, or further out the the sides? Also it seems the units seem to physically protrude further into the tank than than the mp10s. How noticeable is that when looking at the tank from the front? Lastly, have you tried running it vertically? Thanks.
Just finally got mine set up, 4 different cycles through the day.... nighttime lowest cycle is the longest and the strongest flow is shortest cycle. Now that I have it where I want it it’s awesome ... seeing stuff get blown around that previously was laying in rocks and sand I guess and I thought I had good flow. Yes it has a wider output and not very noticeable at all from the front. I was going to try vertically but then decided not too because I feel like it wouldnt flow through the rock structure as well as it is now. I only have it in a 32 cube so I actually detached one of the blades and only go to 30% power at maximum

BRS
OP
OP
sheepdog76

sheepdog76

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine is in a Biocube 29 and it spans most of the tank so the circulation is from all around. I put it on the back wall so it gets under my rocks as well back there. when you put food in the tank you can see it is moving all around the biocube. As for putting it vertical I would more then likely have a sand storm if I did that. You can move the two sides to angel the flow up or down. I also have one in my fresh water 75 which doesn't have sand and I just tried it vertical in there and it moved the water all the way around the tank pretty good so I left it that way. As for looks its long so there is no real getting around it like you could with an mp10 which could be hidden behind rocks or something. It is a very effective wave pump in smaller under 55gal tank set ups. One is more then enough for your shorter tanks or 40 and under. Mine has not gone above 40% in my 29gal.

OP
OP
sheepdog76

sheepdog76

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finally got mine set up, 4 different cycles through the day.... nighttime lowest cycle is the longest and the strongest flow is shortest cycle. Now that I have it where I want it it’s awesome ... seeing stuff get blown around that previously was laying in rocks and sand I guess and I thought I had good flow. Yes it has a wider output and not very noticeable at all from the front. I was going to try vertically but then decided not too because I feel like it wouldnt flow through the rock structure as well as it is now. I only have it in a 32 cube so I actually detached one of the blades and only go to 30% power at maximum[/QUO
Just finally got mine set up, 4 different cycles through the day.... nighttime lowest cycle is the longest and the strongest flow is shortest cycle. Now that I have it where I want it it’s awesome ... seeing stuff get blown around that previously was laying in rocks and sand I guess and I thought I had good flow. Yes it has a wider output and not very noticeable at all from the front. I was going to try vertically but then decided not too because I feel like it wouldnt flow through the rock structure as well as it is now. I only have it in a 32 cube so I actually detached one of the blades and only go to 30% power at maximum
Why did you decide to remove a blade vs getting an MP10? What did you have pre the 1K?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

bdmach1

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked one of these up for my new IM Nuvo 40. My LFS has one of these mounted vertically in a tank and it has some pretty amazing current flow. The clowns & BTA were loving it!

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
sheepdog76

sheepdog76

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my 1K. My biocube sprung a leak so I got a new set up. Now I am running a 35Gal reef ready Cube with an eshopps nano Cube refuge. The 1K I am trying the vertical mounting and so far it works out pretty good. In the picture it is to the left. I still can't go over 40% or it is blasting sand but even 20%-40% on all settings it seems to be getting good flow in all areas of the tank.

IMG_2141.JPG

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my 1K. My biocube sprung a leak so I got a new set up. Now I am running a 35Gal reef ready Cube with an eshopps nano Cube refuge. The 1K I am trying the vertical mounting and so far it works out pretty good. In the picture it is to the left. I still can't go over 40% or it is blasting sand but even 20%-40% on all settings it seems to be getting good flow in all areas of the tank.

View attachment 714241

Nice. I have a feeling mine will work best vertical as well. I am hoping to have the tank set up in a couple of weeks to test it out.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
sheepdog76

sheepdog76

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I have a feeling mine will work best vertical as well. I am hoping to have the tank set up in a couple of weeks to test it out.

Nice also I feel when it is vertical even though you are not changing size it blends better and doesn’t detract as much from the view of the corals. Sorry about my awful pic I will try and get a better one when everything is settled

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice also I feel when it is vertical even though you are not changing size it blends better and doesn’t detract as much from the view of the corals. Sorry about my awful pic I will try and get a better one when everything is settled

A video would be nice too, hint, hint!

Nutramar Foods

timrocks311

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This pump seems really nice. Is it quiet? Reviews seem to indicate they improved the noise over the 3k version.

I'm really thinking of getting one of these for me 40 breeder. I thought originally that two would be best (one on each side), but the downfall is you can't sync or anti-sync them.

How do you guys think this would do on a 40 breeder? Would one be sufficient? I'm targeting LPS. Ecotech Coralab recommends about 1000 gpm in tank. This with my return would be enough I'd think. Even better would be two at about 50% anti-synced.

OP
OP
sheepdog76

sheepdog76

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This pump seems really nice. Is it quiet? Reviews seem to indicate they improved the noise over the 3k version.

I'm really thinking of getting one of these for me 40 breeder. I thought originally that two would be best (one on each side), but the downfall is you can't sync or anti-sync them.

How do you guys think this would do on a 40 breeder? Would one be sufficient? I'm targeting LPS. Ecotech Coralab recommends about 1000 gpm in tank. This with my return would be enough I'd think. Even better would be two at about 50% anti-synced.

Yes I think it is really quite. I have one in a 75 fresh water planted tank and it is plenty to move everything. Every set up is different and our reef tanks have more rock then my planted tank so you may want to try one then get another if you think you need to. In a 40 I don’t think you would get one over 50% with out a sand storm.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those of you with it mounted against the back wall, do you just put the magnet in the water? I don't know why but I'm more hesitant to do that with this one than other powerheads.

I have it in my IM40 turned down to 20% and I still can't stop my sand from kicking up in the corner.

World Wide Corals
AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back