Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@VJV Some nitrifying bacteria will inevitability die off, without the presence of fish & their poop. :eek: However, you can mitigate this by continuing to feed your corals/inverts, and also dropping in a pinch of flake or pellets every 2-3 days. But it's still a good idea to space out reintroducing your fish into the DT and monitoring ammonia while you do this; maybe add 1-2 fish per week. I recommend adding the small sissy fish ahead of the larger, more aggressive ones. ;)

Avast
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

melypr1985

totally addicted
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humblefish can ich survive on fish in a QT tank without dosing it?

As long as a fish is present and no meds (ie: CP or copper) and no hyposalinity then ich will continue to populate and live. There are even some strains that will survive hypo.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as a fish is present and no meds (ie: CP or copper) and no hyposalinity then ich will continue to populate and live. There are even some strains that will survive hypo.

+1 If a fish has ich, the disease's life cycle will continue until the free swimming (theront) stage is interrupted. This can be accomplished by treating with hyposalinity, a chemical (copper or chloroquine phosphate) or tank transfer method.

Even in a bare bottom, rockless QT, ich trophonts will fall off the fish and tomonts will encyst upon the glass, equipment, etc. These tomonts release theronts within 3-72 days (varies greatly by strain) and they seek out fish to reinfect.

It is possible that the "stress" of being in QT makes it more likely for visible physical symptoms (i.e. white dots) of ich to show on a fish.

mandylv23

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the middle of my fallow period on my DT, the fish that was affected died before I could catch them all and place in my QT. The rest of the fish are doing great in the QT but now I'm trying to decide how to treat them before going back into my DT once my 76 days are up. These are the fish I have to treat:
1 clown
1 diamond watchman goby
1 lawnmower blenny
2 yellow tangs
1 scopas tang
1 blue hippo tang
All tangs are still juveniles

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like hypo due to proven resistant strains, as Meredith pointed out.

You could do TTM on them, but it would take at least two 20 gal QTs, all with duplicate equipment.

So your best bet would be to treat with either CP or copper. However, the latter is much easier to obtain (Cupramine, Coppersafe & Copper Power are all available online & at LFS). All your fish are good candidates for copper and you would need to treat for 30 days. :)

VJV

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@VJV Some nitrifying bacteria will inevitability die off, without the presence of fish & their poop. :eek: However, you can mitigate this by continuing to feed your corals/inverts, and also dropping in a pinch of flake or pellets every 2-3 days. But it's still a good idea to space out reintroducing your fish into the DT and monitoring ammonia while you do this; maybe add 1-2 fish per week. I recommend adding the small sissy fish ahead of the larger, more aggressive ones. ;)
Thanks. That's what I thought. I'm not feeding the tank because I am also battling GHA and I want to starve it! If I see some coral suffering I will add some coral food though.

VJV

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. That's what I thought. I'm not feeding the tank because I am also battling GHA and I want to starve it! If I see some coral suffering I will add some coral food though.

mandylv23

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I picked up Kordon safe copper aid tonight, it's chelated copper sulfate.
I need an API copper test kit before starting this correct?
Also with my 25% daily water changes to keep ammonia at bay in my HT will it be hard to keep therapeutic levels?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I picked up Kordon safe copper aid tonight, it's chelated copper sulfate.
I need an API copper test kit before starting this correct?
Yes; typically, therapeutic range for chelated copper is 1.5 - 2.0 ppm.
Also with my 25% daily water changes to keep ammonia at bay in my HT will it be hard to keep therapeutic levels?
You will need to figure out how much Copper Aid to add back (to the bucket) to keep it at therapeutic levels at all times.

huskerreefatl

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I have done it, I used the Seachem Cupramine and the Seachem Copper Test. It is important that you test accurately because an overdose will kill you fish so far me, getting both Seachem products is about as safe as you can get. Amazon has them and will deliver in 2 days if you are a prime member....Amazon is dangerous for a reef hobby...:)

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I would like to say thank you to humblefish for getting me into QT'ing my fish never was one to qt in all my years of reefing started in 08. Great write up happy Rev made it a sticky.

Now for the ?
1. Can prime be overdosed ? Also how long it takes for it to start working ?
2. Can I take chaeto from my DT to seed my qt ?
There will be more ? Coming lol.

AquaCave Logo Banner

melypr1985

totally addicted
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I would like to say thank you to humblefish for getting me into QT'ing my fish never was one to qt in all my years of reefing started in 08. Great write up happy Rev made it a sticky.

Now for the ?
1. Can prime be overdosed ? Also how long it takes for it to start working ?
2. Can I take chaeto from my DT to seed my qt ?
There will be more ? Coming lol.

In my experience Prime cannot be overdosed. HOWEVER, you cannot use copper and some other meds while prime is in the water so it's illadvised to use prime in a QT. Why not just use a bottled bacteria product to seed your QT?

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience Prime cannot be overdosed. HOWEVER, you cannot use copper and some other meds while prime is in the water so it's illadvised to use prime in a QT. Why not just use a bottled bacteria product to seed your QT?

I had to setup a quick qt so did not have time to soak the sponge so I'm using prime to cut the ammonia

World Wide Corals

melypr1985

totally addicted
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guess I will put the sponge to soak in stability and add it before I leave for work I have prime in the water now will it cause a problem ?

If your planning on using copper then definitely. 100% water change before adding any chemical meds.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Frag Farm
Back