+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I have almost the
same question .....I have a whisper hang on filter rated for a 40 gallon ..I just purchased fluval pads but they seem thin
Basically you want as much "sponge" as possible in the filter. Most will do fine. In some you can always add additional sponge to it to allow beneficial bacteria to colonize faster and better.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically you want as much "sponge" as possible in the filter. Most will do fine. In some you can always add additional sponge to it to allow beneficial bacteria to colonize faster and better.

^^This. The more sponge you have, the more nitrifying bacteria it can hold. Canister filters that utilize some sort of bio-media like ceramic rings are fine too. Nitrates will build up due to the detritus that gets caught in them, but that's not much of a concern in a fish QT. The issue is sooner or later you are going to get hit with some unknown, Typhoid Mary-like disease, and will want to break that QT down and completely start over. And the simpler your QT is, the easier it is to do just that and set it back up. I can break my 29 gal QT down and set it back up in under an hour. "Simpler is better" when it comes to QT. ;)

Avast

leecasey82

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so we're on the same page, is this the filter you're talking about: http://usa.hagen.com/Aquatic/Filtration/Internal/A480

If so, then yes it would make a fine filter for QT purposes. The only downside to a canister filter is the time spent cleaning it. Which is why I prefer HOB.
No no I meant the same hob filter you was on about I was wondering if one would handle 240ltrs or whether Id need a couple? Sorry fluval 240 is just the make of my QT tank and I chose 240ltr to make them feel a bit more comfortable plus I can have a few in at the same time then and still break down n set back up in a day if need be

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No no I meant the same hob filter you was on about I was wondering if one would handle 240ltrs or whether Id need a couple? Sorry fluval 240 is just the make of my QT tank and I chose 240ltr to make them feel a bit more comfortable plus I can have a few in at the same time then and still break down n set back up in a day if need be

Ah ok gotcha. :) So 240 litres = roughly 65 gallons.

Optimally you'd want the AC110 for max flow/filtration: https://usa.hagen.com/Aquatic/Filtration/Clip-On/A620

But the AC70 would also probably get the job done so long as you don't overload the bio-load: https://usa.hagen.com/Aquatic/Filtration/Clip-On/A615

I know the AC110 might seem to be a tad overkill, but you can always turn the flow down on it if need be. You'll also want a cheap powerhead (I use Koralias) pointing towards the surface for additional gas exchange; especially when treating with meds.

VJV

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW this is what I currently use, and after trying many alternatives I believe it to be the PERFECT QT filter.

https://www.eheim.com/en_GB/products/technology/internal-filters/biopower-200

depending on the model you have up to three compartments where you can have your biological filter media (I tend to use Seachem Matrix which I always have a bag in the sump of the main tank to keep constantly seeded. And no, it does not absorb medications). Each compartment is clip on so you can easily remove for maintenance, or change media (for instance if you want to put some carbon in to remove medications from the water).

Very easy to clean as you remove each compartment individually. In the first chamber you have the sponge that you can easily take out to clean.

It has an inbuilt airline and valve that allows you to inject oxygen into the tank. Aerating the water is very important when using some types of meds such as praziquantel. With this filter I only have to turn open the air valve during the treatment to oxygenate the water.

So to me at least, this is an ideal filter for the QT.

Nutramar Foods

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about shrimp? Please don't tell me I have to QT them for 72 days also.

All crustaceans (including shrimp) have hard exoskeletons that tomonts are probably capable of encysting upon. Safe bet would be to QT for 72 days or at least until the first molt, whichever comes first.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question on QT...If i have a bunch of ceramic rings in a bag stored in my sump. Would I need to add Seachem stability to my QT tank or would the bag of rings be enough for say one or two fish?

So long as they've been down in your sump for at least 1 month, they should have already been sufficiently colonized with nitrifying bacteria. No need for Stability then. It is only needed for "new" bio-media which has not already been seeded.

Nutramar Foods

FireEMT

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up my first tank and want to QT everything that needs to be. I just saw that you should also QT shrimp. My question is, does everything need to be QT or just fish and shrimp? Do snails and cleanup crew need it?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Visit Detroit Reef Club
Back