Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 56 gallon column tank, (30"x18"x24"), so it's a tall tank. I originally bought it for seahorses but when the ponies lived out their lives, I turned it into a high nutrient macroalgae/softie tank.

Mine is the Photon 24-V2+ which is exactly what yours is if I remember. I have it hung 14" above the tank top. Before I bought this light I was a T5 gal because the plug and play aspect was easy. However 30" length bulbs are getting impossible to find so I bit the bullet and went LED. I watched the BRS LED showdown to determine which brand and light was right for me. I liked that I could hang it a little higher so I can work in the tank without moving the fixture. Of course I liked the price for a light from a reputable company that offered good customer service. I have been really happy with it, although the shimmer is a bit more than I would prefer.

What size is your tank and fixture? Did you struggle at all to program it and do you use a remote? I think they have an app for your phone now but since I finally learned to use the remote, I am not learning anything new, LOL.

I took a pic of the green end of the tank so you can see the different greens at 10 am.
View attachment 2969279
Thanks for the picture...looks great!

I've got a 75g with the 48 V2+, so yes same light, only a bit longer. I've found that the shimmer is directly related to the amount of surface agitation. I have high surface flow and thus a fairly fast shimmer effect. I've gotten used to it and don't even really notice it anymore.

This is my 3rd dive into saltwater and when this system was started a bit over 3 years ago I had been out of the hobby for like 10 years. 2 prior systems each setup for about 3 years each, and as you know life happens and both times just didn't have the time or extra energy to put into the tank. Both prior systems I was a T-12 VHO user, like you, the solution was easy compared to the LED's we use now.

I use the remote, at first it was cumbersome, but now it's ok. I was thinking about the upgrade module to use the phone app, but decided not to bother.

Thanks again for your help.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the picture...looks great!

I've got a 75g with the 48 V2+, so yes same light, only a bit longer. I've found that the shimmer is directly related to the amount of surface agitation. I have high surface flow and thus a fairly fast shimmer effect. I've gotten used to it and don't even really notice it anymore.

This is my 3rd dive into saltwater and when this system was started a bit over 3 years ago I had been out of the hobby for like 10 years. 2 prior systems each setup for about 3 years each, and as you know life happens and both times just didn't have the time or extra energy to put into the tank. Both prior systems I was a T-12 VHO user, like you, the solution was easy compared to the LED's we use now.

I use the remote, at first it was cumbersome, but now it's ok. I was thinking about the upgrade module to use the phone app, but decided not to bother.

Thanks again for your help.
Norman, do you have a build threads? I would enjoy seeing your tank.
Oh my goodness, I just checked your profile and you live near Pgh. So do I, LOL. Small world, I am in the north hills up Rt 8 in Gibsonia.

OP
OP
N

NormanB

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I had some early posts that showed how the build was going, but after looking thru my posts, nope, nada, guess I didn't ever post these. I have a bunch of pics and all that are not taken through the glass look reasonable. Now tank pics are terrible at best. No filters for my phone camera, that would help I'm sure, but too lazy I guess to go get some.

Yeah, you sure are close! I list pgh but actually live in Mars. Figured most people would think I'm pulling their leg if my location was Mars. :)

My 75 is an in-wall with all the equipment in the room behind it. We finished the basement in 2019 and had the contractor rough in the area for the tank. I'll post a few picks of the build.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
N

NormanB

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Needs more sanding.jpg

Dry walling the back side.
Stand painted.jpg
Stand painted.jpg

Stand in place
Sump.jpg

Early sump placement.
FTS 1.jpg
FTS 1.jpg

Water and rock in, this is 11/19.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I had some early posts that showed how the build was going, but after looking thru my posts, nope, nada, guess I didn't ever post these. I have a bunch of pics and all that are not taken through the glass look reasonable. Now tank pics are terrible at best. No filters for my phone camera, that would help I'm sure, but too lazy I guess to go get some.

Yeah, you sure are close! I list pgh but actually live in Mars. Figured most people would think I'm pulling their leg if my location was Mars. :)

My 75 is an in-wall with all the equipment in the room behind it. We finished the basement in 2019 and had the contractor rough in the area for the tank. I'll post a few picks of the build.
That is so funny and yes, i know Mars well. Ha ha, folks would really freak if you told them that you even have a spaceship in your town!

Have you gone to the local reef club; 3RMAS? I go on occasion but always seem to have other commitments on the days it's scheduled. On the 20th they are having Mike Paletta speak. Also on April 1st they are hosting a frag swap down near Canonsburg. I have gotten and won some nice stuff at that swap.

I think in wall tanks are beautiful and a great way to hide equipment. Actually our very 1st tank in 1986 was a 40 gallon XH in the wall tank. The only thing I do not like about them is accessing them for aquascaping and cleaning the glass.

I never mastered the picture taking thing either. My pics give the general idea but never really capture the tank.

Happy reefing,
Dawn

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

TCK Corals
Back