How to get Phosphates down

NonstopSoda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is new like less then 6 months then I would spend much money on LPS because your tank is still very unstable and highly likely they will not survive long.
I second! Reefapalooza is still half a month-ish away, try to get everything cleaned up and stable before LPS because they can be quite sensitive to changes in the tank.

NonstopSoda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I am lol. So weird. I tested my water and it is at 0 for nitrates and 0.25 for phos. I got one piece of coral right now and it looks great! (Better in person)
omg i didnt see this! what type of coral is that cause its beautiful!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I don't disagree, my phosphates are always elevated around. .4 and even up to .79 but my corals especially SPS are growing like weeds now.

I’m not saying they aren’t, and not everyone wants or needs to maximize growth anyway.

OP
OP
austin_socal

austin_socal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason is phosphate should be between 0.03-0.05ppm ideally with 0.1ppm as a typical maximum level people like. The API phosphate test read that precisely.
The reason is phosphate should be between 0.03-0.05ppm ideally with 0.1ppm as a typical maximum level people like. The API phosphate test read that precisely.
Do you think the Nitrate test kit from API is good tho?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the typical error range of any of the testers how can you be comfortable at .03 number? Could be 0 right?

Reefvision

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much more potentially important is to get nitrate up. I recommend dosing food grade ammonium bicarbonate, ammonium chloride, sodium nitrate, or calcium nitrate.
Agreed, I have raised nitrate using ammonium bicarbonate and it is no longer at zero after approximately a week. You might have to go slowly and check pretty regularly so as not to go over a target range that you may want. I am steady at 10- 15 ppm now after adding 2x/day 10 ml ea. on 210 gallons system. I just cut back to 1/day. My nitrates were 0 prior (Hanna ulr).fwiw.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back