Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my occeleris clownfish in my tank for about a month with my bubble tip anemone and he doesn’t seem interested in it at all and he’s definitely seen it and in fact he’s stolen shrimp out of it before so I’m not sure why he won’t host in it any one know how I can get him to?

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my occeleris clownfish in my tank for about a month with my bubble tip anemone and he doesn’t seem interested in it at all and he’s definitely seen it and in fact he’s stolen shrimp out of it before so I’m not sure why he won’t host in it any one know how I can get him to?
It is actually the anemone who accepts and hosts the clown. Also there is nothing you can do but hope .. if there are other corals or even bottom of a power head that it has chosen it’s spot then it may not switch

Top Shelf Aquatics

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be patient. My clowns took almost a year to "find" my nem.

It's fine to buy livestock because of what they might do/how they might interact with each other, but stressing out over what they actually do is a waste of time. Enjoy your clowns and enjoy your nem. If they end up together, great, but don't try to force it.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocellaris clownfish aren't naturally hosted by BTAs, so it might be a while until it is. You can increase your chances by doing certain things, though.

a. Play a video of clownfish in an anemone where they can see it. Some people have had clownfish be "inspired" by this and move into an anemone.
b. Play another video, but this time of a natural reef. The clownfish will see large predatory fish in the video, and suddenly remember why they live in anemones in the first place.
c. Train the clownfish to eat from feeding tongs (pretty simple, they should catch on in a few days). Then start holding the food right above the anemone, so that they need to swim through it to eat.
d. Change the flow up a little, the sudden change in the environment may cause them to seek out the anemone.

Personally, I've had the best results with b and c. However, the clownfish should eventually move in by itself without help. For some people it took hours, and for others it took years. Adult clownfish are usually more eager to move in, though. I'd recommend not worrying too much about it, the clownfish and anemone are fine without one another, and when the clownfish does enter the anemone, it will do so on it's own terms.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might laugh, but I actually scotch taped a color picture of the clown in an anemone to the tank, and a few weeks later it was hosting. Could have been a coincidence. but after months of it not doing it, it actually did...

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
A

abryant

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocellaris clownfish aren't naturally hosted by BTAs, so it might be a while until it is. You can increase your chances by doing certain things, though.

a. Play a video of clownfish in an anemone where they can see it. Some people have had clownfish be "inspired" by this and move into an anemone.
b. Play another video, but this time of a natural reef. The clownfish will see large predatory fish in the video, and suddenly remember why they live in anemones in the first place.
c. Train the clownfish to eat from feeding tongs (pretty simple, they should catch on in a few days). Then start holding the food right above the anemone, so that they need to swim through it to eat.
d. Change the flow up a little, the sudden change in the environment may cause them to seek out the anemone.

Personally, I've had the best results with b and c. However, the clownfish should eventually move in by itself without help. For some people it took hours, and for others it took years. Adult clownfish are usually more eager to move in, though. I'd recommend not worrying too much about it, the clownfish and anemone are fine without one another, and when the clownfish does enter the anemone, it will do so on it's own terms.
Yeah I tried A already but I’ll try B now and see how it goes

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
A

abryant

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two Ocellaris took about a month to host their bubble tip, then rubbed it to death. There are 3 other bubble tips in the tank but now they have chosen to host a torch this time.
Yeah I’ve heard they’ll do that the fish really are weird they behave weird

Top Shelf Aquatics

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My captive bred clowns were hosted by anemones in the matter of a couple of weeks.

Top Shelf Aquatics

ErinT

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to anemones- have a rose bubble tip- hoping to learn more. Actually getting a pair of clowns with a bta that they are already “housed” with so hopefully it will take. Good luck with your project- so exciting! Your tank looks awesome!

Akreefnewguy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it time or give the clown a partner. I gave mine a partner and within a week they both hosted and have been accepted by my Haitian pink tip, which again doesn't usually host.

xiongsy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 hadonnis. My pair sees it, looks at it, but hasn't gone to it. I have a haddoni that stays on the rock. I've moved it to their corner they sleep at night. I've tried showing them "how to" youtube videos but I guess they can't comprehend. I may try option B listed above. Now I'm just waiting for a ritteri. I got into the hobby because of the symbiotic relationship between nems/clowns. If mine weren't so fat and gorgeous I would have probably gotten another pair of clowns. They're a solid gorgeous white with a good decent amount of blue on them.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Reef-_-Noob

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my clownfish to host my goni. I feed in the morning so they were hungry.
I shut off all flow and spot fed the goni reef roids. She jumped right into the goni and started going after the food. I did this before feeding mysis. Turned on the flow and now she is living in the goni

Jrain904

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you only have one clown now and don’t mind having a pair go to your LFS and buy a clown already living in a BTA. Buy it and once it’s in your tank there is a very good chance it will go to your BTA. Then, as they begin to pair up, your current clown will “learn” about the BTA and love it too.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aquariums Wholesale Live coral auctions every week
Back