Clownfish host anemone in very small aquarium?

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I considered doing this in my 25 AIO for a magnifica, but ended up going the more traditional route of a nano. There was a tank build by a @kinetic 5+ years ago that I really liked and considered emulating it (he posted epic pictures). One of the reasons I decided against it was my understanding that magnifica tend to like high flow and despite my best efforts I have put bubble tips and long tentacle anemones through various lower head blenders in small tanks. If you can sort that out with strong return pumps I think it could work.

I felt confident I could handle filtration/waste management and lighting needs.

RHF build thread here we come, subscribed!

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for it! You've got the experience and expertise be successful. Worst case is that the nem outgrows your tank and you have to sell it, but both magnifica and gigantea are in such high demand that that shouldn't be a problem. Or just an excuse to get a bigger tank.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a Colorado sunburst in our 20g. Our clowns have shown some interest in it, but have never been hosted by the anemone.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do remember seeing a video on YouTube of a fairly knowledgeable reefer 10 years ago or so keeping a large magnífica with close successfully on a cube for many years. Apparently it was his first anemone wend he first started the hobby.
I have to disagree with some comments on this thread so far AIO won’t overflow out of the system as the back sump wall is always lower than the main tank glass in case the stands overflow gets blocked water should raise above the back panel not allowing the sump running dry although it will affect the atu system. Having two overflows or a purpose build weir would be ideal and safer imo.

Edit:

Found the video

Last edited:

chovav

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
claude Hug de SICCE a fais la présentation de son bac anémone , je peux retrouver le lien si cela t'intéresse.
1727964462027.png

1727966375766.png

Last edited:

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago I had a haddoni in a ~22"x22" aquarium that was only about a foot deep. I built up some structure in the middle to retain enough sand for it to be able to retract into it, and after adding it, it would rather be pretty much anywhere else than in that sand. Had two true percula clowns in there with it and they hosted in it, but maybe I didn't feed them enough or something because after a bit the nem started to lose its stickiness and wasn't doing so hot. I eventually realized the clowns were stealing the chunk of food I was giving it, so I started distracting them with some food and then feeding the haddoni.

It recovered and did pretty well for more than a year afterwards, had to sell it when I was leaving town but got a picture a few months later of it happy in its next (much larger) home.

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not exactly what your asking but I keep a blue haddoni in a reefer 170 20x20x18" probably 30ish gallons total with rock. I've had it about a year and a half. It has done very well while the tank has struggled with GHA and low nutrients. It moved once unfortunately from front and center around the side. I have a single ckarkii female (very boring) and an electric blue damsel as the only fish.
PXL_20241003_144844003.jpg

TiltedReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep this Gigantea in a biocube 16. With displacement i estimate the display volume to be about 10-12 gallons. The nem was bleached white when I got her and slowly got her darker purple and tan colors back in a few months. She sticks to her spot under the live rock and my pair of storm clowns don’t really go near her (they chose to be hosted by the return nozzle over this plump beauty)

IMG_6157.jpeg IMG_6375.png IMG_6008.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw just for consideration, kessils look very pretty over anemone tanks :)

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep this Gigantea in a biocube 16. With displacement i estimate the display volume to be about 10-12 gallons. The nem was bleached white when I got her and slowly got her darker purple and tan colors back in a few months. She sticks to her spot under the live rock and my pair of storm clowns don’t really go near her (they chose to be hosted by the return nozzle over this plump beauty)

IMG_6157.jpeg IMG_6375.png IMG_6008.jpeg
This isn't a gigantea. Looks more like a LTA.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know all the standard comments about clownfish host anemones in very small tanks, but I'm wondering if anyone has first hand info on what happens.

Specifically, I'm interesting in seeing if anyone has kept a gigantea, crispa, or magnifica in a tank under 30 gallons, and if so, what happened?

I'm aware that it could nearly fill up the tank when grown out for a few years. That does not mean it necessarily wouldn't work with appropriate care. i've keep a number of these anemones long term in larger (90+) gallon tanks.

The idea is a tank with mostly just the anemone and a small group of ocellaris (preferably) or percula clowns.

Thanks in advance.

I have a pair of mated clown fish (not of the variety you mention) in a 15 gallon tank with sump. They were in there for years, spawning and living large, each with its own Bubble Tip Anemone. All did well with regular, weekly 20% water changes.

Hope this helps.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I âm getting a Gigantea from a friend today. I am thinking of putting him here. A 35-40ish cube tank along with my tiny LTA on the sand.
IMG_5182.jpeg

IMG_5183.jpeg

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great advice all around. I would add that your anemone selection is limited based on your report that flow will only come from returns. That generally means a low to moderate flow tank so as not to over tax the drains or sump efficiency.
BTA's and Haddoni carpets will be fine in that type of flow environment, but Sebae, Magnifica, LTA's, and Gigantea will not be quite as happy.
I look forward to what you create!

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my old 45 gallon shallow reef with a rainbow red haddoni surrounded by my rainbow BTA's. I've just taken down that tank and consolidated everything into my 360 gallon. After going back and looking at this video, I may set this little tank back up for another haddoni and a pair of clowns.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back