BRS

How often do you transport your tank, from location to location?

• Once every 2 -5 years

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Once every 1-2 years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2x a year

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • More than 2x a year

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

NomadicReefer2

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested how many other "Aquatic Nomads" are out there? I consider myself an Aquatic Nomad since I move my tank twice a year, from one location to the next. I have done so successfully for the past 4 years. If you transport your tank often, I'd like to hear your process. I would appreciate if you took part in this poll as well

besskurz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to move this little boy here.
I'm still thinking what is the best strategy.
It's not big, but not small as well. I would give near to 80 LB.
20221214_205356.jpg

- transport all together.
I fear that rocks will fall over and explode the bowl. Nah. Just by thinking now is already a no. I have literally zero room to mistakes. This glass is not forgiving.

- removing rocks to a bucket
I will end up having to tear some corals which are merging some rocks :crying-face: I don't mind for gsp but I have a favites there.

I thought about keeping inverts in. I don't have fish.

Draining a good amount of water to the bucket, make a pray and let's go.

Mperry622

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Done moving tanks!

I started this journey into saltwater just over a year ago, it started with a used 55 from my LFS, a month later moved to a 65 acrylic, then purchased a 125 installed next to 65 and plumbed into one sump, wife nagged floors are needing to be done and I would need to relocate all tanks and sumps to the basement ( worse idea in my life, but did it). a week later a buddy gave me a 150 cube and a 200G rectangle, they and all coral are in a 300G Rubbermaid bin while I let everything stabilize :)
Just over a year in this addiction 770 Gallons of reefing in my basement

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've moved a lot of tanks into and out of our house but I have only relocated one tank my life. That was only so we could fit a king sized bed so I had a place to sleep with the dogs :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Tavero

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- removing rocks to a bucket
I will end up having to tear some corals which are merging some rocks :crying-face: I don't mind for gsp but I have a favites there.

That's why you should always glue your hardscape together so you can pull it out in one chunk. Reduces a lot of problems. Stacking rocks loose on each other is a noob mistake i did with my first tank too. Pulled out one rock and the whole scape just crashes.

besskurz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QThat's why you should always glue your hardscape together so you can pull it out in one chunk. Reduces a lot of problems. Stacking rocks loose on each other is a noob mistake i did with my first tank too. Pulled out one rock and the whole scape just crashes.

When I started in the hobby, I was told that a lot of things we read, see and hear are just a trail, not a fully paved path with just one absolute truth - if this makes sense to you.

Tribal knowledge says we should glue hardscape, Yes.
But you can only do, when your tank is a rectangle or square.
If you glue hardscape in a bowl there will be no way to remove large rocks from inside afterwards if needed.
The risk of breaking or scratching badly the bowl is very high - exception applies to reefers who believe a 1lb rock will make wonders.

Tavero

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started in the hobby, I was told that a lot of things we read, see and hear are just a trail, not a fully paved path with just one absolute truth - if this makes sense to you.

Tribal knowledge says we should glue hardscape, Yes.
But you can only do, when your tank is a rectangle or square.
If you glue hardscape in a bowl there will be no way to remove large rocks from inside afterwards if needed.
The risk of breaking or scratching badly the bowl is very high - exception applies to reefers who believe a 1lb rock will make wonders.
It's harder but shouldn't be impossible. Just make sure it can still fit it through the opening of the bowl. A rock with flat bottom wont Just fall over and scratch glass.

I am not super happy with my aquascape but i don't regret gluing my pieces together, because of as often as i had to remove the rocks later on.

besskurz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's harder but shouldn't be impossible. Just make sure it can still fit it through the opening of the bowl. A rock with flat bottom wont Just fall over and scratch glass.

I am not super happy with my aquascape but i don't regret gluing my pieces together, because of as often as i had to remove the rocks later on.

Im happy with my aquascape and I dont regret of not gluing. Theory is slightly different than real world. Fitting a triangular rock inside a circle is always tricky.

but Being happy in the end of the day is what matters right? Have you consider having a bowl too?

Tavero

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im happy with my aquascape and I dont regret of not gluing. Theory is slightly different than real world. Fitting a triangular rock inside a circle is always tricky.

but Being happy in the end of the day is what matters right? Have you consider having a bowl too?

I did have a 40 l tank with a curved front until 5 years ago when i changed to a standard tank. Never been happy how it warped the optics.

I got a 84 l (23 g) when my 54l (15 g ) got a leak 4 months ago and i had to move my lifestock. Transfer took me only 5 minutes for the rocks.

Only thing i really dislike on my aquascape is, that it looks more like a a frag tank than a display tank

Attachments

• IMG_20230421_194959 (1) (1).jpg
    IMG_20230421_194959 (1) (1).jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 16

snorklr

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
moved it from my shop to my basement when i closed my business around 2011...when i sold my house (2013) moved it to my new shop 700 miles away....when my new house was done in another year or 2 moved it into my attached garage...maybe 4 yrs ago moved it about 6 feet while i set up a new tank in the original location then moved everything into the new tank....there also was a freshwater 20 than went from living room to basement so i could re-sheetrock the room prior to selling, then it went to my trailer down here, then finally into the new house....lots of tractor supply 5 gallon food safe buckets...

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

ACC
Back