Holiday tension: How do you deal with conflict in your tank?

BRS

How do you deal with conflict in your tank?

• I plan carefully to avoid conflict

Votes: 34 12.3%
  • I pick livestock that will typically get along

Votes: 131 47.3%
  • I do what I can, but conflict is inevitable

Votes: 86 31.0%
  • Survival of the fittest, good luck to all involved

Votes: 15 5.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 11 4.0%

• Total voters

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow watchman goby and pistol pair in my 90gal but I REALLY WANT a diamond goby. I'm going to try but if things get bad I'll rehome the diamond. Don't want to kill anything
Also, DO NOT get a diamond goby without a completely sealed tank lid. Not a mesh one, not one with a few gaps. Completely covered. They are some of the greatest escape artists known to man, dont be like me and figure this out the hard way.

BuddyBonButt

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t do a sand sifter unless the tank is a minimum of 3 years old and has a 2-4 inch sandbed.
What in the sandbed do they need? My sand bed is 3 inches and I dose pods every other day. So about 5 times a week

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What in the sandbed do they need? My sand bed is 3 inches and I dose pods every other day. So about 5 times a week
They are paramount detrivores, they consume all the little goodies in the sand, uneaten food, algae, fish poop, pods. Anything you can think of. But they will need prepared food to supplement their diet. An aged sand bed will have tons of micro fauna in it, hence the suggestion for the waiting period. I did not wait that long, but not saying what I did was right either. But be aware, these gobies move some serious amounts of sand. And they will re scape your sand bed to their liking. BUTTTT you will have pearly white sand for the entire life of this goby.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They eat everything in the sand. They tend to rid sandbeds of microfauna within a few months depending on how mature the tank is.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they won't eat prepared food?
Oh of course they will, Mine eat a ton. Anything I can throw at them. From pellets to anything frozen that fits in their mouth, that they can swallow at least. But they cannot survive on frozen or pellets alone. Trust me, these fish have super high metabolism, thats all they do all day, is swim around spitting sand out. You could treat them almost like a grouper of sorts when it comes to being healthy, they put on weight fast and grow super fast actually. When they arent eating, they loose weight in a matter of days.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh of course they will, Mine eat a ton. Anything I can throw at them. From pellets to anything frozen that fits in their mouth, that they can swallow at least. But they cannot survive on frozen or pellets alone. Trust me, these fish have super high metabolism, thats all they do all day, is swim around spitting sand out. You could treat them almost like a grouper of sorts when it comes to being healthy, they put on weight fast and grow super fast actually. When they arent eating, they loose weight in a matter of days.
They also arent some mini or pico type goby, they get fairly large as far as small reef critters go. My large male is a solid 5 inches long and about as thick as a standard hot dog.

BuddyBonButt

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So even mature tanks struggle to keep them happy?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am mostly a coral guy and stock my tanks very light on fish. I make sure to have fish species that get along. With regards to the coral, I have a separate tank for each type of coral, (ie, sps, lps, softy, frag tank), that way they get along better and most of them like the water parameters of their respective tank.

joefishtank

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried over feeding to stop aggression. It didn't work. Now I think I'm going to stop stocking since my purple dotty back is a bully and he was the last one I added.

For coral I keep different gardens in my mixed reef. I'm also willing to do any maintenance that's required like moving them apart or fragging them. I don't understand how some people let their coral hurt each other.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So even mature tanks struggle to keep them happy?
I have no issue keeping them happy, just letting you know what all it takes to keep one happy and away from being a professional carpet surfer, They are great fish and have pretty cool personality. Not difficult to take care of, just have unique care requirements. They are in the medium difficulty type of class, they escape alot and must have sand substrate, not crushed coral, or larger grained sand.

BuddyBonButt

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no issue keeping them happy, just letting you know what all it takes to keep one happy and away from being a professional carpet surfer, They are great fish and have pretty cool personality. Not difficult to take care of, just have unique care requirements. They are in the medium difficulty type of class, they escape alot and must have sand substrate, not crushed coral, or larger grained sand.
I have special grade. So what do you do to keep yours happy? I really do want one but don't want to starve it.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have special grade. So what do you do to keep yours happy? I really do want one but don't want to starve it.
I dont really do anything special. They take to frozen food really easily. once they build their cave and decorate it with shells and unwilling snails/ hermits, usually all is well. A secure lid is most important.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just do your duties as the care taker and watch it eat, if the size food you are feeding is too large you will see it fall out of the gills, just like sand. If its the right size, you wont see it again.

BuddyBonButt

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont really do anything special. They take to frozen food really easily. once they build their cave and decorate it with shells and unwilling snails/ hermits, usually all is well. A secure lid is most important.
I got so many replies from here and different subs, I don't know if I already asked this to you, but do you think I can get one now? Or should I wait longer than 8 months? My same bed definitely has crap in it because it's not pristine white anymore. I went through a Dyno outbreak then a green hair algae outbreak and now a diatom outbreak. The sand bed definitely needs cleaning. I manually siphon it but it doesn't stay white for long.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got so many replies from here and different subs, I don't know if I already asked this to you, but do you think I can get one now? Or should I wait longer than 8 months? My same bed definitely has crap in it because it's not pristine white anymore. I went through a Dyno outbreak then a green hair algae outbreak and now a diatom outbreak. The sand bed definitely needs cleaning. I manually siphon it but it doesn't stay white for long.
I would leave it another year Atleast. If possible try not to siphon the sandbed as these guys love a sandbed full of dirt to feed on.

BuddyBonButt

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have a plan! and no shame in asking questions!
I took some sand and bio blocks from a very established tank. So that may help with me keeping one. I plan to upgrade my tank to a water box 105.4 so that may set me back a lot so I may have put off the goby for a while. I'll try to use all the old sand in the new tank. But I'll have to see how it goes.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
LA
Back