Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to sound sappy and kind of philosophical here but keeping and nurturing corals keeps me mindful how I treat myself and view my own life. Humans are not all that different than corals in that if all your needs are not being met, you're not going to be functioning or looking or feeling 100%.

We sometimes have corals that end up in our tanks and don't end up flourishing but they also don't die which is sometimes how people can feel as well...stuck in a way. If a coral is not in an environment where they can thrive, they won't! Simple as that, it is applied to our lives the same way as well! Sometimes we need a little pick me up the same way acropora need a bit more light or a bit more flow or a bit more food to shine their best. I find it so rewarding to move a coral that is just looking 'meh' to a better environment and watching them thrive!

I guess what I am trying to say is it has given me a slightly different perspective on my own life and experiences as I spend so much time bending over backwards to nurture sticks that don't even talk back

BRS

zoomonster

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a nutshell, it's just relaxing. Well, that is when not having some tank issue. I'm a little OCD and it gives me something to occupy my brain after a trying day of IT work. We won't even get into the opportunity to burn money and buy cool new stuff.

gollum.jpg

Propane

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s filled my evening hobby gap with something more constructive than video games. My other hobbies are noisy drums, motorcycles, for example. I also get up way earlier to look at white rocks in a tank lol.

Corals.com

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have far less money than before. . .

But can you really put a price on boring everyone around you to tears by endlessly talking about your aquarium. An aquarium they will never see, don't want to see, and will never care about. . . Now that is PRICELESS!

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gumbies R Us how has it impacted you?

Me I have a lot less cash. I spend much of my time tinkering on stuff vs playing video games. I also no longer have to travel anywhere because I don't have any automation except ato. Never liked traveling anyway.
For me? Definitely the cost of keeping up with it and figuring out all I need to buy, haha. But positively, since my wife and I enjoy watching it all come together and enjoy the pursuit of turning this glass box into a habitat for fish and other marine life.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Met my husband because of it.
My life would be COMPLETELY different if I never started reefing.
Congratulations on that!!! Crazy how something like reefing can lead to people meeting their significant others.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes relaxing, after my Red Sea busted I had as much anxiety as losing a family member. Same thing with money, I was finally able to just coast on spending since everything was purchased, then "bam" there goes 4k in two weeks. I will say the tank gives me something to do because I do get bored easily. I like to tinker with things so it gives me something to focus on. I will have a tank until my I am too old to maintain one.

BRS
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Bulk Reef Supply
Back