How common is it to get bad batches of reagents for Hannah checkers?

BRS

TankCandy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am a local Hanna dealer, and noticed that as well. I would get the alk reagent for the H1755 from saltwateraquarium.com when I ordered the one for the dkh checker. I reached out to @Hanna Instruments , and they told me the two reagent are NOT interchangable. I only order direct from Hanna now.
I have 6 bottles of H1755 that i wont use. Constancy wise I have never had an issue with any Hanna product. Been using Hanna for 3+ years and probably 3 tests get done on each of the Po4 and ALK testers per day.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Lionfish hunter

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 bottles of H1755 that i wont use. Constancy wise I have never had an issue with any Hanna product. Been using Hanna for 3+ years and probably 3 tests get done on each of the Po4 and ALK testers per day.

Alk checker has given me steady results for years.
Do you have their nitrate and ph checkers. Those 2 are really terrible. Their nitrate one really screwed me when I was dosing nitrates. Hit 60 ppm before I bought another test kit to double check. Hanna read 0 and nyos read 0! I calculated I put 60 ppm in the tank over a week, bought a 6$ api nitrate test that showed right at 60.

Klyle

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe their alkalinity test is one of the worst products they make. The reagent is unstable, plain, and simple. You need to refrigerate it, which they don’t even state in their instructions. The reefing community had to find that out.

Of all of the Hanna products, I think the Phosphate ULR PPM checker is their best, followed closely by the copper checker. I believe Hanna Checkers are overrated.
I agree with everything you said

AquaCave Logo Banner

92Miata

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve literally bought three bottles of reagent at the same time, tested them all, and all were like 1/2 point off of each other…brand new bottles. No thanks.
I've done this too - even same batch number. Same results. Different batches - I've seen worse.

Like a lot of others - I don't use my alk checker anymore. I use a Red Sea pro kit and one of those SRAquaristik test mixers. It's way cheaper to test - and frankly, it's faster than the hanna.

Alk checker has given me steady results for years.
Do you have their nitrate and ph checkers. Those 2 are really terrible. Their nitrate one really screwed me when I was dosing nitrates. Hit 60 ppm before I bought another test kit to double check. Hanna read 0 and nyos read 0! I calculated I put 60 ppm in the tank over a week, bought a 6$ api nitrate test that showed right at 60.
Nyos kit is terrible. I had one tank at almost 100ppm and another at 0 and was getting 20ppm on both. Yellow is a terrible dang color for human eyes - especially when people keep their houses with soft/warm white light.

HR or LR nitrate? My HR checker is balls on. Like, I can dose 2ppm and test in an hour and it goes up 2ppm. But, given all the stuff I've seen with their other checkers - you getting a bad batch wouldn't surprise me at all. The LR nitrate kit also has way too many steps and every step that involves a transfer or dilution drastically increases error range. Their published error range is nonsense.

Last edited:
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

SR
Back