Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am considering buying a 40b tank for saltwater and I’m thinking of experimenting and using a HOB filter. Now I know a HOB filter will NEVER be as good as a good old sump but I believe it can come somewhat close. I would put in some chemi pure blue, a poly filter pad, and possibly some carbon every month or so. Now since I’m not a pro at this yet, I need suggestions. What are some upgrades I can do to turn a HOB filter into a good filtering machine for a Reef?

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

geddavis

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for polishing that is fine however depending on your stocking you may want a HOB skimmer. I have also seen people use HOB refugiums but I have never used one and so can not talk about how good they are. I would agree that with a properly sized HOB filter you should be fine. I would recommend something that is rated for a tank twice as large so a hob rated for 80gs or more.

cww81

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Aquaclear 70 HOB Filter is one I recommend because I use It personally. I did a lot of research when I was in your position and found out this was the best choice because the media chamber is quite large. You can even find threads on here where people mod It into a refugium. I also agree with geddavis that you will need a skimmer as well, i'm running both and my mini reef is doing great.

newbie2014

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s should be fine.
When I switched from FW, I try to use what I had on hand, HOB ( AC110) and Eheim canister. Since you have to clean the sponge more often, it would be much easier with a HOB filter. In the first year or so, I also used a HOB Aquamax skimmer to solve GHA and phosphate issues. I also acquired a TLF reactor, which I use now for GAC.
3603563D-FA84-45EB-8AC7-5003DD909DF4.jpeg

As you see my tank only has a mechanical/chemical filtration in a form of a carbon reactor, which I’m running 24/7.

sorry for the blue iPhone picture

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Premium Algae Scrubbers from Turbo's Aquatics!
Back