Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to think of an analogy.. people give me a fair amount of compliments on my fungia coral, but to me it’s the exact same as when I got it, it’s very easy, doesn’t need much attention, similar to when you buy a house with a full grown beautiful hardwood tree on the property. Family and friends stop by, they may compliment your massive tree, but you didn’t grow it yourself, it doesn’t mean as much. Acros are like the freshly hatched bird that fell out of the tree in a storm, anxiously chirping and battered on the cold earth, awaiting greatness or death, and you make the call. You take the baby bird inside, make it a perfect temporary home, warm a towel to keep it warm, feed it cream of wheat through a syringe and pray it regains enough strength to live and grow into a beautiful bird. Let’s say it lives past this stage, no one coming by your home is going to complement this goofy little “frag” of a bird you saved, it’s the most work you’ve done recently for an animal and the only one who knows the time and research you put in is you. Your bird is strong now, it’s getting some adult bright beautiful feathers, you release it. This bird still could run into a few sliding glass doors and rtn but in general it’s healthy and every time you see that bird sitting back up in that tree as an adult, an overwhelming sense of pride and accomplishment overcomes you. That’s acros for ya.

Last edited:
Avast
OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe we both get the same size frag and turn it into a competition...an entrepreneurial wager :)
Yes yes and yes, that sounds fun!

najer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to think of an analogy.. people give me a fair amount of compliments on my fungia coral, but to me it’s the exact same as when I got it, it’s very easy, doesn’t need much attention, similar to when you buy a house with a full grown beautiful hardwood tree on the property. Family and friends stop by, they may compliment your massive tree, but you didn’t grow it yourself, it doesn’t mean as much. Acros are like the freshly hatched bird that fell out of the tree in a storm, anxiously chirping and battered on the cold earth, awaiting greatness or death, and you make the call. You take the baby bird inside, make it a perfect temporary home, warm a towel to keep it warm, feed it cream of wheat through a syringe and pray it regains enough strength to live and grow into a beautiful bird. Let’s say it lives past this stage, no one coming by your home is going to complement this goofy little frag of a bird you saved, it’s the most work you’ve done recently for an animal and the only one who knows the time and research you put in but you. Your bird is strong now, it’s getting some adult bright beautiful feathers, you release it. This bird still could run into a few sliding glass doors and rtn but in general it’s healthy and every time you see that bird sitting back up in that tree as an adult, an overwhelming sense of pride and accomplishment overcomes you. That’s acros for ya.

Loving this. :)

marco fish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea my tang doesn’t eat it, he will pick at it occasionally but it never makes a dent. Yea this Sea lettuce is consuming all my nutrients, it’s been a struggle. I could take the rock out and pour peroxide on it but that comes with it’s own risks, mainly upsetting coral. Once I get some frag racks I’ll unmount my coral, put them on frag racks, take the rock out, siphon the sand bed out really good with about a 60 gal water change, not removing just cleaning, and potentially peroxide my rocks where there’s sea lettuce, then cement rocks together to make a new taller structure, put acros back. It’s going to be a nightmare and I’m not lookin forward to it at all, but it needs to be done.
No idea what it came in on, I had a little bit on one of my return lines at the surface of the water, after my power outage I noticed that patch was gone, a few days later my tank is covered in the stuff. This power outage really messed stuff up, long term issues I’m still having daily.

I

count krunk

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how goes the bubble algae?

I have some crop up in my 10g holding tank. So I gave the worst places a scrub scrub scrub during the last water change and also added in a single emerald crab.

What I scrubed away did not return. More has simply disappeared, I attribute this to the crab.

I have many different kinds of algae in that tank right now.purple and pink coraline, green looking mat thing, bubble, tiny bit of hair, as well as some cyano.

It all seems to balance out, none of it is over running. The coraline is slowing spreading out. The others are just here and there. looks very natural

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how goes the bubble algae?

I have some crop up in my 10g holding tank. So I gave the worst places a scrub scrub scrub during the last water change and also added in a single emerald crab.

What I scrubed away did not return. More has simply disappeared, I attribute this to the crab.

I have many different kinds of algae in that tank right now.purple and pink coraline, green looking mat thing, bubble, tiny bit of hair, as well as some cyano.

It all seems to balance out, none of it is over running. The coraline is slowing spreading out. The others are just here and there. looks very natural
Nice nice. It sounds like a healthy system to me! Mines not awful but not great, I started vibrant last week, today will be my 2nd dose, no signs of any difference at all since starting it. My LFS has been weird lately and won’t pick up the stuff from the wholesaler I ask for. Idk what his deal is. The other big LFS is loaded with ich right now so I’m steering clear of that as well. I feel really bad for people who were buying fish there, it was crowded when I went last. They are shady too and sell sick fish and pest ridden coral. But they are the only place with LRS food.. so what are you gonna do I guess.. moral of the story: Thats why I haven’t gotten an emerald crab. Lol

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to think of an analogy.. people give me a fair amount of compliments on my fungia coral, but to me it’s the exact same as when I got it, it’s very easy, doesn’t need much attention, similar to when you buy a house with a full grown beautiful hardwood tree on the property. Family and friends stop by, they may compliment your massive tree, but you didn’t grow it yourself, it doesn’t mean as much. Acros are like the freshly hatched bird that fell out of the tree in a storm, anxiously chirping and battered on the cold earth, awaiting greatness or death, and you make the call. You take the baby bird inside, make it a perfect temporary home, warm a towel to keep it warm, feed it cream of wheat through a syringe and pray it regains enough strength to live and grow into a beautiful bird. Let’s say it lives past this stage, no one coming by your home is going to complement this goofy little “frag” of a bird you saved, it’s the most work you’ve done recently for an animal and the only one who knows the time and research you put in is you. Your bird is strong now, it’s getting some adult bright beautiful feathers, you release it. This bird still could run into a few sliding glass doors and rtn but in general it’s healthy and every time you see that bird sitting back up in that tree as an adult, an overwhelming sense of pride and accomplishment overcomes you. That’s acros for ya.

Let’s write a book!

Avast

marco fish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea my tang doesn’t eat it, he will pick at it occasionally but it never makes a dent. Yea this Sea lettuce is consuming all my nutrients, it’s been a struggle. I could take the rock out and pour peroxide on it but that comes with it’s own risks, mainly upsetting coral. Once I get some frag racks I’ll unmount my coral, put them on frag racks, take the rock out, siphon the sand bed out really good with about a 60 gal water change, not removing just cleaning, and potentially peroxide my rocks where there’s sea lettuce, then cement rocks together to make a new taller structure, put acros back. It’s going to be a nightmare and I’m not lookin forward to it at all, but it needs to be done.
No idea what it came in on, I had a little bit on one of my return lines at the surface of the water, after my power outage I noticed that patch was gone, a few days later my tank is covered in the stuff. This power outage really messed stuff up, long term issues I’m still having daily.

I got you, that’s Reefing to say the least but you know what you have to do. Remember that I started the week with Critter ID so the battle is always upon us, lol. Keep up the good work bro

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got you, that’s Reefing to say the least but you know what you have to do. Remember that I started the week with Critter ID so the battle is always upon us, lol. Keep up the good work bro
Haha true that, thanks man!

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok :) does it have to be about birds ? Lol ;)

Well one of my masters thesis was on forced polygamy in a monogamous Australian Finch ...just sayin. The vids were pretty racy. Haha

Nutramar Foods

Bleigh

The lich queen
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely wanted to do that too. I am traveling all next week and you have to take delivery then so I will wait for the next one. I am def starting to love these acros and the sps May be the way I go predominantly. I love @fabathuon (sp) tank. Getting the scape in my head.

Btw I won a acrylic frag rack from 805reefer on IG. Haven’t received it yet. I’ll let ya know how it works. And if you don’t have one by that time and I am. It using it right away you are welcome to borrow.

You haven't gotten your rack yet? Have you asked them about it? I got mine from Rogue Reef AND another one directly from acrylic habitats.

Bleigh

The lich queen
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely wanted to do that too. I am traveling all next week and you have to take delivery then so I will wait for the next one. I am def starting to love these acros and the sps May be the way I go predominantly. I love @fabathuon (sp) tank. Getting the scape in my head.

Btw I won a acrylic frag rack from 805reefer on IG. Haven’t received it yet. I’ll let ya know how it works. And if you don’t have one by that time and I am. It using it right away you are welcome to borrow.
You can also get shipping later on. You just can't get it any earlier than what's available. I'm also traveling next week, so I'm having mine delivered the following week.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also get shipping later on. You just can't get it any earlier than what's available. I'm also traveling next week, so I'm having mine delivered the following week.
Y’all better not be sniping all the acros! Your tanks need more acans, lots more acans ;)

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Bleigh

The lich queen
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y’all better not be sniping all the acros! Your tanks need more acans, lots more acans ;)

No acros yet for me. I'd love to get some more favia's. I'm really liking them.

Some of the ones I'll try to swipe are 1) JF jack o lantern litho, 2) anything that has a super hero name... cause my son likes that - so far we have a hulk litho, a spiderman monti (which isn't looking great) and a GI joe favia, 3) any variety of purple/green acan 4) any platygara. From there... anything I like that I don't have. But I'm excited.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good to know!! Thanks. I might check it out then!

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You haven't gotten your rack yet? Have you asked them about it? I got mine from Rogue Reef AND another one directly from acrylic habitats.

Not yet. I’ve asked a few times. Keeps putting it off. Lol. First they told me they were busy and would get to it after the fourth weekend. Most recently said they would be sending it any day now. We will see.

World Wide Corals

Bleigh

The lich queen
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet. I’ve asked a few times. Keeps putting it off. Lol. First they told me they were busy and would get to it after the fourth weekend. Most recently said they would be sending it any day now. We will see.

Weird. Guess you can't complain too much since it was free. Fingers crossed you get it soon.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No acros yet for me. I'd love to get some more favia's. I'm really liking them.

Some of the ones I'll try to swipe are 1) JF jack o lantern litho, 2) anything that has a super hero name... cause my son likes that - so far we have a hulk litho, a spiderman monti (which isn't looking great) and a GI joe favia, 3) any variety of purple/green acan 4) any platygara. From there... anything I like that I don't have. But I'm excited.
Nice nice. If you don’t manage to get a jackolantern lepto I’ll send you mine. It gets lost in the shuffle in my tank. It deserves some love.
2B73A8FB-D1A4-42F5-802C-A61891C7E5BA.jpeg

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back