OP
OP
BeccaRose

BeccaRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched the videos - it sure LOOKS like a severe case of ich, but I cannot reconcile the other fish not having ANY spots. What about trying a modified treatment: move this clownfish into a QT and treat with coppersafe. If any other fish start showing spots, move them in also.....that way, if it turns out not to be ich, and is just localized to this one fish, you won't have exposed the mandarin to any harsh treatment.
amazing thanks, I’m currently on my way to LFS to see if they have formalin incase I need it and a hanna copper. Then will move the clowns to qt and slowly bring the copper level up. I will hopefully update in a few days fingers crossed. Thanks so much for all the help, I feel much better about just moving them for now.

OP
OP
BeccaRose

BeccaRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so the fire fish now has spots on its fins, I have a small qt tank and have managed to get the clowns and the hawk in it but am struggling to catch the fire fish and can’t put the dragonet in copper.

If I’m honest I’m freaking out, I’m waiting on delivery of hanna copper checker but want to start straight away.

I have copper power on hand so how fast can I up the copper. I only have a Salifert copper test currently is this ok?

How do I keep it stable with water changes?
Thanks

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do copper power up to 2.0 then u bring it up to 2.2-2.3 over the next 24-48 hours.

Dose water change water before doing the change so copper doesn’t drop.

OP
OP
BeccaRose

BeccaRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do copper power up to 2.0 then u bring it up to 2.2-2.3 over the next 24-48 hours.

Dose water change water before doing the change so copper doesn’t drop.
How do I no how much it will drop or am I just being stupid? I think I’m overthinking it but I have adhd and I need to get it straight in my head exactly what I need to do to calm down lol

I only have 4 fish but I currently only have a 15ltr tank spare, I can get a bigger one tomorrow but should I just transfer them over to the bigger now or wait until copper is at the right level in the small and match in the new? Is that even possible? I’m worried ammonia will spike in smaller tank.

I have an ammonia checker in the tank currently and only put them in it tonight as I panicked when I saw another fish with spots.

I’ve done freshwater for years and never had anything bad and within nearly 4 months I have this with salt. I’m gutted. I just don’t want them to suffer.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I no how much it will drop or am I just being stupid? I think I’m overthinking it but I have adhd and I need to get it straight in my head exactly what I need to do to calm down lol

I only have 4 fish but I currently only have a 15ltr tank spare, I can get a bigger one tomorrow but should I just transfer them over to the bigger now or wait until copper is at the right level in the small and match in the new? Is that even possible? I’m worried ammonia will spike in smaller tank.

I have an ammonia checker in the tank currently and only put them in it tonight as I panicked when I saw another fish with spots.

I’ve done freshwater for years and never had anything bad and within nearly 4 months I have this with salt. I’m gutted. I just don’t want them to suffer.

What do you mean by drop?

Just dose copper in the new bigger tank to 2.0 and move them over. Then raise it to 2.2-2.3 the next day.

Here is a calculator for copper power and gallons:

OP
OP
BeccaRose

BeccaRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, all fish in qt with 2ppm copper but my male clown is now showing signs of brook. His slime coat is coming off. Female clown is still eating and swimming around and he is just at the top. Can I have both ich/velvet and brook? They are not wild caught but from lfs so could have been around wild caught I guess in the same system.

I have formalin, metroplex, h202 but can I continue copper while treating the clowns for brook or do I treat them all for brook even though the other 2 are only showing sand like dots?

What a bloody disaster !!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, all fish in qt with 2ppm copper but my male clown is now showing signs of brook. His slime coat is coming off. Female clown is still eating and swimming around and he is just at the top. Can I have both ich/velvet and brook? They are not wild caught but from lfs so could have been around wild caught I guess in the same system.

I have formalin, metroplex, h202 but can I continue copper while treating the clowns for brook or do I treat them all for brook even though the other 2 are only showing sand like dots?

What a bloody disaster !!

Are you certain it is Brooklynella and not a secondary infection from ich? Is the water quality still good? Your ammonia level needs to be below 0.50 ppm. Can you post a fresh video?

OP
OP
BeccaRose

BeccaRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is fine and I water changed today. No others showing this. He’s covered in white and slime coat coming off. I’m new to salt so can’t be sure as no experience with illness before. He’s breathing really fast to fast to count.

Attachments

• IMG_0130.jpeg
    IMG_0130.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0129.jpeg
    IMG_0129.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0131.mov
    17 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is fine and I water changed today. No others showing this. He’s covered in white and slime coat coming off. I’m new to salt so can’t be sure as no experience with illness before. He’s breathing really fast to fast to count.

Yes - I do think that is Brooklynella and not a secondary infection from ich. I base that on the one stringy mucus strand, you really only see that with Brook.

I've NEVER had ich and Brook on a clownfish at the same time. Obviously, mixing medications is risky, it increases the stress on already stressed fish.

I doubt that you have Ruby Reef Rally Pro available, and formalin is a better choice anyway.....

What form of formalin do you have? I would give the clowns a 45 minute dip with GOOD aeration at 150 ppm formalin (I can help with that calculation once I know what formalin you have). Then, I would dose the tank daily at 25 ppm for 5 days.

OP
OP
BeccaRose

BeccaRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - I do think that is Brooklynella and not a secondary infection from ich. I base that on the one stringy mucus strand, you really only see that with Brook.

I've NEVER had ich and Brook on a clownfish at the same time. Obviously, mixing medications is risky, it increases the stress on already stressed fish.

I doubt that you have Ruby Reef Rally Pro available, and formalin is a better choice anyway.....

What form of formalin do you have? I would give the clowns a 45 minute dip with GOOD aeration at 150 ppm formalin (I can help with that calculation once I know what formalin you have). Then, I would dose the tank daily at 25 ppm for 5 days.
I have NT Lab 30%

Do I dose the tank as well as the copper after dip?

Thanks so much for your help

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My qt tank has 14 gal in it with 2ppm copper already dosed.

That gets complicated - formalin is a reducing agent. There is some speculation that the amine-copper bond in copper medications can be broken by reducing agents, that releases toxic free copper into the water. On the other hand, if you remove the copper, you leave the fish vulnerable to ich/velvet. I have not dosed copper and formalin together, so I can't advise you on that.

That NT labs 30% formalin is tough for me to work with in terms of figuring out a dose. We don't have that product here in the US. If their product is truly 30% formalin, then you would need to use about 3x the amount needed for 100% formalin. The basic formula is: PPM times US gallons divided by 264. So - to dose 10 gallons of water with 25 ppm formalin, it would be 0.95 ml of formalin. Since your product is about 1/3 strength, you would add 2.85 ml - check my math though!

OP
OP
BeccaRose

BeccaRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That gets complicated - formalin is a reducing agent. There is some speculation that the amine-copper bond in copper medications can be broken by reducing agents, that releases toxic free copper into the water. On the other hand, if you remove the copper, you leave the fish vulnerable to ich/velvet. I have not dosed copper and formalin together, so I can't advise you on that.

That NT labs 30% formalin is tough for me to work with in terms of figuring out a dose. We don't have that product here in the US. If their product is truly 30% formalin, then you would need to use about 3x the amount needed for 100% formalin. The basic formula is: PPM times US gallons divided by 264. So - to dose 10 gallons of water with 25 ppm formalin, it would be 0.95 ml of formalin. Since your product is about 1/3 strength, you would add 2.85 ml - check my math though!
I just lost the male clown. Could I do formalin baths with the female and not dose the water? She’s still eating and swimming with no slime coat coming off as yet. Could I bath with formalin and feed metroplex and continue copper in qt?

I don’t want to risk dosing with copper just yet but want to at least give her a chance.

What would I dose in 10 ltrs for a bath if you think that’s possible?

Thank you

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just lost the male clown. Could I do formalin baths with the female and not dose the water? She’s still eating and swimming with no slime coat coming off as yet. Could I bath with formalin and feed metroplex and continue copper in qt?

I don’t want to risk dosing with copper just yet but want to at least give her a chance.

What would I dose in 10 ltrs for a bath if you think that’s possible?

Thank you

You really can't use a formalin dip and put the fish back into the infected tank - it needs to be moved to a clean tank, often three times in succession.

10 liters is 2.6 US gallons. The bath dose for formalin is 150 ppm for 45 minutes wiht good aeration. Full strength formalin would work out to be: 1.5 ml formalin. Your product is about 1/3 strength, so I think you would add 4.4 ml formalin - but again, check my math.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back