Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can anyone help id the purple and dark green growth? its developed super fast . like 1 day. and is it linked to the death of my seahorse? so far parameters are good. testing as we speak. tank inhabitants are 3 anemones, 2 small peppermint shrimp and now i other seahorse.
20230214_185435.jpg
20230214_185447.jpg
20230214_185643.jpg
20230214_185722.jpg
20230214_185742.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Soilworker

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your 3rd pic definitely looks like Cyano. The blue\green could also be cyano. If you have a microscope you can throw a bit under there and confirm. But pretty sure it's cyano, I'm fighting that right now but almost out of it. Suck it up during a water change and blow it off the rocks with a turkey baster

Avast
OP
OP
G

gulfcoast76

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never dealt with it. could that be what killed the seahorse too? ive slowly lost everything ive put in there. with no explanation. so i just moved remaining stock into qt tank and am completely emptying tank, sand bed all live rock, everything!

AS

jpgillespie2

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never dealt with it. could that be what killed the seahorse too? ive slowly lost everything ive put in there. with no explanation. so i just moved remaining stock into qt tank and am completely emptying tank, sand bed all live rock, everything!
I know nothing about seahorses, but I can assure you that the cyano itself did not harm them. You probably have some kind of other problems. If your water parameters are good, if your tank is cycled, I would look into environmental factors: sprays, room fresheners, aquarium decorations, the quality of your hands when putting them into the tank etc. Again, I know NOTHING about seahorses alone, but if everything you put in the tank dies, I would say it isn't seahorse specific.

OP
OP
G

gulfcoast76

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re making water, check tds. If membrane or filters are old, minerals and chlorine could be getting through. Could be reason for cyano.

changed them all about 2 weeks ago. and i do not have a test fir tds. guess i should pic one up. figured id be fine since i use a 5 stage ro filter.

AS
OP
OP
G

gulfcoast76

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know nothing about seahorses, but I can assure you that the cyano itself did not harm them. You probably have some kind of other problems. If your water parameters are good, if your tank is cycled, I would look into environmental factors: sprays, room fresheners, aquarium decorations, the quality of your hands when putting them into the tank etc. Again, I know NOTHING about seahorses alone, but if everything you put in the tank dies, I would say it isn't seahorse specific.

i assume its something else and everything you listed im pretty anal about...although that doesnt mean im not missing something

Cyanohater

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can anyone help id the purple and dark green growth? its developed super fast . like 1 day. and is it linked to the death of my seahorse? so far parameters are good. testing as we speak. tank inhabitants are 3 anemones, 2 small peppermint shrimp and now i other seahorse. View attachment 3023232View attachment 3023233View attachment 3023234View attachment 3023235View attachment 3023236
to help fight the cyano check out Microbacter7. it'll help you out alot. you can also watch BRS cyano videos. as they said you want to try and not use hard chemicals, but sometimes there is nothing wrong with having too as long as you follow the instructions.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
G

gulfcoast76

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok. so i picked up a tds meter. and after running the r/o filter for 15 minutes im getting a reading of 3. so my question is how the heck do you manage to get your tank down to zero? and keep it there?

World Wide Corals
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Champion Lighting & Supply
Back