Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy y'all! New member here from Texas. I'm running a 140 gallon FOWLR tank moderately stocked with fish and inverts that's 4' X 2' with a 44" Photon V2 6" about the water. I'm have a rough time coming up with a settings profile that will grow my purple and other Coraline algae but not cause excess brown or green algae growth on rocks and sand. All the profiles I'm finding on the 'net are for corals and too intense. Y'all help a FLOWLR brother out please! Thanks so much!
20230320_144212.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a long time Photon user.

Dial back the PAR as the fish don't really care. Use more blue than white (just like with corals) as most algae grows better with white light.

OP
OP
N

Neonaught

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually keep a couple of Yellow Tangs and a Brown Barred Goby to keep the rocks and sand cleaned but after the pandemic all I can find is tank-raised Clowns mostly and the cost of Tangs has sky-rocketed! Thanks for you reply!

Top Shelf Aquatics

mrpontiac80

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PAR is in layman’s terms how intense the light is. For example my photons are 18” above the water and my blues are at 96% and white is 30% with red and green at 10%. But I’m growing sps in a mixed reef.

On my last tank, my lights were a lot lower to the water and I only needed 60% blues and 10% everything else for the same corals.
If your tank is newer, you’re likely going to have algae show up until you get coraline to take hold first. Use snails and such to help eat it.

OP
OP
N

Neonaught

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PAR is in layman’s terms how intense the light is. For example my photons are 18” above the water and my blues are at 96% and white is 30% with red and green at 10%. But I’m growing sps in a mixed reef.

On my last tank, my lights were a lot lower to the water and I only needed 60% blues and 10% everything else for the same corals.
If your tank is newer, you’re likely going to have algae show up until you get coraline to take hold first. Use snails and such to help eat it.
My system has been up for 20 years so I have been down the road of new tank syndrome a couple of times the I was dealing with cancer twice and was too ill to properly maintain the system. I'm loving the Photon after years of using fluorescents and metal halides!

I really appreciate the advice! I'm going to write a profile of settings going easy on the red/greens since that is the part of the spectrum most involved with photosynthesis.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

AVAST
Back