Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oi... I consider myself a conservationist across a few different fronts.

Why do you think we cannot as an entire hobby?

Agree, one doesn’t have to be “no harvest” to want to take care of the environmen.

With all the corals in all the tanks across the globe, and the knowledge from fragging the hobby has brought its like a giant coral repository.

Im sure most reef keepers would gladly donate frags to help repopulate reefs around the world.

I believe my exact word were “I’d like to think the majority of us do try” the former and latter part was honestly added to aid the more sensitive to accepting the reality that the majority of people in this hobby don’t. We really have come a long way on coral propagation, but my post was about fish. Our environmental impact on coral reefs is a discussion for another day.

At the end of the day we harvest them from their natural environment and house them in glass boxes with not a better argument than “they’ll live longer in my house”.

We “cannot as an entire hobby” because as many as there are of you and I who care about our ecosystem, there are 10x hobbyist who will kill 10x Achilles tangs, refuse to quarantine, all to find one that beats the odds, lives, and further fuel more irresponsibility by saying “we’ll I didn’t quarantine and………….”. Or, the people who fish for a bag limit, instead of what they consume.

Im by no means an activist. Most of my fish are wild caught and I’m an avid outdoorsman. Fishing is my favorite hobby by far. My post was simply made for those who consider these bans “completely in-just” without considering the above mentality. It won’t change so the only alternative is a temporary ban to replenish the ecosystems and fisheries.

Case and final point: You have people in this very thread talking about color superiority of wild caught yellow tangs, when captive bred are widely available.

Last edited:
Corals.com

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I understand your point. I suppose I was pushing back against the none of us in this hobby can call ourselves Conservationists.

We do a lot of great things for fishery management. Fish Do have a longer lifespan in our boxes because nature is tough. I think we Care about the global issues with reefs much more than the average Joe or Joanne.

Much of the conservation cost around the world, are paid for by people who care. Those are often hunters, fisherman, reef keepers. We try to take from the oceans responsibly. We Respect the animals.

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I understand your point. I suppose I was pushing back against the none of us in this hobby can call ourselves Conservationists.

We do a lot of great things for fishery management. Fish Do have a longer lifespan in our boxes because nature is tough. I think we Care about the global issues with reefs much more than the average Joe or Joanne.

Much of the conservation cost around the world, are paid for by people who care. Those are often hunters, fisherman, reef keepers. We try to take from the oceans responsibly. We Respect the animals.
I agree with this...most of us do care more than the average person I think but to call yourself a conservationist takes it to a different level and imo true conservationists are really rare in the hobby (not saying there are none but just very few). There are, however, plenty of people who would love to virtue signal on a public forum and claim they fit the bill of a 100% pure blooded conservationist.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this...most of us do care more than the average person I think but to call yourself a conservationist takes it to a different level and imo true conservationists are really rare in the hobby (not saying there are none but just very few). There are, however, plenty of people who would love to virtue signal on a public forum and claim they fit the bill of a 100% pure blooded conservationist.
I suppose there is some virtue signaling, but what better way to instill a passion and lifelong commitment to these causes, than seeing Ave growing them in our homes.

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose there is some virtue signaling, but what better way to instill a passion and lifelong commitment to these causes, than seeing Ave growing them in our homes.
Again, I agree. However, there are plenty of people who would claim to despise any wild collection at all including legal CITES overseen collection (until that coral they're in love with happens to come in the shop of course) and that's where I see the virtue signaling. I've even seen posts expressing their dislike (I think they said they hate them but I'll just say dislike) towards other people who buy wild collected corals. Pure virtue signaling it seems to me when you take into account that they must be aware of (or at least I'd hope) all the deaths involved in getting the fish there and how many more die after arrival for a variety of reasons.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun Fact: Hawaii isn't the only places yellow tangs are collected.
This is true, they’re found all throughout Indonesia and up to Japan. Where large quantities can be found but they seem to be rather deep down in comparison to Hawaiian Tangs.

AS

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish were affected? I know the yellow Tang was the biggest casualty of the Hawaii ban, but I remember reading there were other fish we couldn't get at an affordable price also
Anampses chrycosephalus, Cirrhilabrus jordani, Labroides phthyrophagus, Pseudocheilinus octotaenia, Pseudocheilinus tetrataenia, Coris venusta, Pseudojuloides cerasinus, Apolemychthys arcuatus, Centropyge potteri, Ctenochaetus strigosus, Ctenochaetus hawaiiensis, Zebrasoma rostratum. These are just a few of many many more that have been affected.

albano

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe this is what ‘helped’ the decision to ban collection
1661783747886.jpeg

Nutramar Foods

albano

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is this pic from? It doesn't look like it's probably real although I could be wrong...
Don’t recall where I first saw it, but was years ago. Possibly on Reef Central. Believe it was a picture of the daily (?) losses at a wholesaler/shipper in Hawaii, by a group fighting to ban collection.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anampses chrycosephalus, Cirrhilabrus jordani, Labroides phthyrophagus, Pseudocheilinus octotaenia, Pseudocheilinus tetrataenia, Coris venusta, Pseudojuloides cerasinus, Apolemychthys arcuatus, Centropyge potteri, Ctenochaetus strigosus, Ctenochaetus hawaiiensis, Zebrasoma rostratum. These are just a few of many many more that have been affected.
Another big few I’ve forgotten was Centropuge loriculus and Centropyge interruptus.

Top Shelf Aquatics

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Centropyge interruptus.
Wish someone(I think they are being breed in Japan) would start captive breeding these and in numbers that compare with the coral beauty. Still wonder why the purple mask and colin's deepwater purple and white fish are captive breed when other more reef based beauties should be.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish someone(I think they are being breed in Japan) would start captive breeding these and in numbers that compare with the coral beauty. Still wonder why the purple mask and colin's deepwater purple and white fish are captive breed when other more reef based beauties should be.
The purple mask I can understand - that is a stunning fish. But definitely agree with the others as CB fish! Would love something like a Joculator or Nahacki in my reef but I guess I can settle for the closest in looks being the Multicolor with some stunning colours.

Pneumatic_Addict

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elliot Lim (Marine collectors) had some success in breeding interruptus.

I wonder where Karen Brittain ended up with her breeding projects? Would love to see some more CB Bandits around….

I had no clue interruptus we’re present in US waters. Crazy.

Nutramar Foods
Corals.com

Slicknick420

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good news.

Ironically, I was told by a wholesaler that you can (legally) kill and eat Hawaiian Yellow Tangs but you can’t put them in your aquarium and pamper them.

That makes a lot of sense.
pretty sure there's a shoreline fishing ban on all islands in Hawaii right now also. rules are crazy out there with that gov. they have

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back