Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish were affected? I know the yellow Tang was the biggest casualty of the Hawaii ban, but I remember reading there were other fish we couldn't get at an affordable price also

Potter's angelfish, chevron tangs, and yellow-eyed kole tangs were also affected. Rarer species such as bandit angelfish, flame wrasses, personatus angelfish, and black tangs could also surface more frequently and at a lower cost than before.

Hopefully the restrictions will be eased, and we can have some Hawaiian fish back in the stores. I personally don't want to see the wild yellows replace the BIOTA and Bali Aquarich tangs entirely, but a bit of diversity in availability and genetic health is always a good thing.

BRS

Johnz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the chevron tang was also affected. I know there are captive bread as mentioned above however they don’t look as good as the original Hawaii yellows.
I dunno, I have a wild caught and a biota captive bred. The biota Tang is looking really good, bright yellow and lively. I had concerns when I bought it that it would be too small, or not be as colorful. I have been really happy with it though. That being said, I hope Hawaii lifts its ban. From what I have read, it was a responsible and ethical fishery. And the cost of fish in general has shot up the past few months, so anything that increases supply is welcome imo.

Attachments

• 20220815_203130.jpg
    20220815_203130.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 77
Nutramar Foods

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potter's angelfish, chevron tangs, and yellow-eyed kole tangs were also affected. Rarer species such as bandit angelfish, flame wrasses, personatus angelfish, and black tangs could also surface more frequently and at a lower cost than before.

Hopefully the restrictions will be eased, and we can have some Hawaiian fish back in the stores. I personally don't want to see the wild yellows replace the BIOTA and Bali Aquarich tangs entirely, but a bit of diversity in availability and genetic health is always a good thing.
100%... I'd love to see potters angels and flame wrasses reenter the hobby.

I really don't see why hobbyists need wild yellow tangs. Breeders will need new brood stock. Right now captive bred yellow tangs cost $165 usd. It's a lot of money, but it out HOPE is that wild ones come in at a little over a hundred...say $130....why not just shell out a little more and buy CB?

Fine with harvesting from a sustainable fishery when the fish aren't available from breeding programs, but I think the Hawaii shutdown is a prequel to other changes in other fisheries. Best to get the captive breeding programs going ASAP.

Last edited:
CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
rocket098

rocket098

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I really don't see why hobbiests need wild yellow tangs. Breeders will need new brood stock. Right now captive bred yellow tangs cost $165 usd. It's a lot of money, but it out HOPE is that wild ones come in at a little over a hundred...say $130....why not just shell out a little more and buy CB?

Fine with harvesting from a sustainable fishery when the fish aren't available from breeding programs, but I think the Hawaii shutdown is a prequel to other changes in other fisheries. Best to get the captive breeding programs going ASAP.
Sorry I disagree with you. The wild yellows from what I have seen have better colors. Sure some captive bred come out well but I have seen some that didn't. Do you want to spend money and time on something that is not guaranteed to pan out. Also when it comes to schooling the yellow tang caught in the wild already has been part of that.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I disagree with you. The wild yellows from what I have seen have better colors. Sure some captive bred come out well but I have seen some that didn't. Do you want to spend money and time on something that is not guaranteed to pan out. Also when it comes to schooling the yellow tang caught in the wild already has been part of that.
There is no doubt that those mature yellows look great. Are you talking about defects in the CB tangs, or colors?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Johnz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember when the first few batches of captive bred yellows came out there were issues. Faded colors, lateral line disease etc. But they seem to have worked those issue out. The recent reviews I have read have been great, and my cb yellow Tang is flawless.

Pneumatic_Addict

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s tough to argue with a ban if there was evidence of an ecological impact to the future sustainability of their reefs. That being said, environmentalist tend to get a bit carried away.

Although hardly comparable to Hawaii’s fishery, I was not at all surprised and, honestly, thrilled by Tampa Bay’s ban of game fish harvest after Piney Point. Our trout and redfish population dropped immediately and immensely. But here we are, three years later and numbers skyrocketed. We went out last weekend, targeted trout and I can’t tell you the last time I’ve seen that many. Was overly stoked.

I’m sure a temporary ban was massively beneficial to the Hawaiian fishery. However, If the divers and legislation can come to an agreement on ethical collection methods and limits, I don’t see why there can’t be a happy medium moving forward.

None of us in this hobby can call ourselves conservationists. But I’d like to think the majority of us do try (or will try) to practice some sort of responsibility moving forward.

Gatorpa

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I really don't see why hobbyists need wild yellow tangs. Breeders will need new brood stock. Right now captive bred yellow tangs cost $165 usd. It's a lot of money, but it out HOPE is that wild ones come in at a little over a hundred...say $130....why not just shell out a little more and buy CB?

More wild fish would help increase genetic diversity in the breed stock. Win win for long term sustainability.

While i don’t know the details of the yellow tang fishery in Hawaii I do know the marine fisheries has totally mismanaged the Atlantic Red Snapper fishery after being shut down for years, there are so many red snapper it’s difficult to catch anything else on many spots. Their surveys always show low levels of fish and have been proven to be very poor.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of us in this hobby can call ourselves conservationists.
Oi... I consider myself a conservationist across a few different fronts.

Why do you think we cannot as an entire hobby?

Gatorpa

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oi... I consider myself a conservationist across a few different fronts.

Why do you think we cannot as an entire hobby?
Agree, one doesn’t have to be “no harvest” to want to take care of the environmen.

With all the corals in all the tanks across the globe, and the knowledge from fragging the hobby has brought its like a giant coral repository.

Im sure most reef keepers would gladly donate frags to help repopulate reefs around the world.

Nutramar Foods

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though there are very few organizations I put faith in to do their job right, CITES is one of the ones I do trust to make sound judgements and determinations as to what's best regarding wild collection of fish, corals, and live rock. I'm sure there's some corruption somewhere as it's literally everywhere but I trust their decisions. Of course I also support the ability of governments to make their own laws/bans if they feel it's in the best interest of the reef.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, one doesn’t have to be “no harvest” to want to take care of the environmen.

With all the corals in all the tanks across the globe, and the knowledge from fragging the hobby has brought its like a giant coral repository.

Im sure most reef keepers would gladly donate frags to help repopulate reefs around the world.
I'm a bow hunter, sport fisherman and reef keeper. Struggling to figure out how that disqualifies conservation.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More wild fish would help increase genetic diversity in the breed stock. Win win for long term sustainability.

While i don’t know the details of the yellow tang fishery in Hawaii I do know the marine fisheries has totally mismanaged the Atlantic Red Snapper fishery after being shut down for years, there are so many red snapper it’s difficult to catch anything else on many spots. Their surveys always show low levels of fish and have been proven to be very poor.
Totally support breeders getting whatever brood stock they need to make healthy fish!

My understanding is that the Hawaii fishery was managed very effectively and that this ban is not related to a shortage of tangs.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back