Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean this respectfully, not negative, but have you done any searching in the Nano Tank forum and looked at build threads? Watched any of the hundreds of YouTube videos on any of these topics? The 52 weeks of reefing from BRS? So many questions can be answered in a shorter (and quicker) manner than the back and forth questioning in this thread. It is great you discovered the hobby, IM tanks, and are asking questions. Please consider my response to try and guide how you can learn more in a faster manner. Happy reefing!

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHA = Green Hair Algae, UV sterilizer is meant to kill pathogens.

Using live ocean rock will greatly reduce any kind of algae outbreak. UV is not necessary, but I have used one before and found it to be effective against Ich.
I'm like $2000 deep at this point lol so I think I'll wait on the UV thing if it isn't necessary. I planned on using live rock, dry rock just didn't seem to make much sense to me.

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean this respectfully, not negative, but have you done any searching in the Nano Tank forum and looked at build threads? Watched any of the hundreds of YouTube videos on any of these topics? The 52 weeks of reefing from BRS? So many questions can be answered in a shorter (and quicker) manner than the back and forth questioning in this thread. It is great you discovered the hobby, IM tanks, and are asking questions. Please consider my response to try and guide how you can learn more in a faster manner. Happy reefing!
I like talking to people directly so I'll go about learning in my own way. Thanks for the advice but it seems a bit....rude? Lol I am researching on my own as well I just like talking to people directly

Top Shelf Aquatics

jabberwock

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like talking to people directly so I'll go about learning in my own way. Thanks for the advice but it seems a bit....rude? Lol I am researching on my own as well I just like talking to people directly
You ask all the questions you like! I mean, it is a forum...

World Wide Corals

SpyC

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a beautiful idea! I told her "babe look, no no like really look! If I get the 25 gallon system but only fill it up with 20 gallons and then have a 5 gallon res. There's no chance it'll overflow and if I have all these do hickeys it'll be fine!" She said she wasn't listening but her grin said she might have been just a iittle so maybe there's hope for me yet!!
It doesn't work like that for a aio. Water needs to be able to flow into the overflows into the AIO's filtration system. If underfilled the water will never make it into the filtration. You would want to test how much water the tank can hold after filling it to its normal functioning height.

Ask tons of questions here, but the recommended youtube videos can be very helpful and also prepare you for common issues or mistakes before they happen.

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't work like that for a aio. Water needs to be able to flow into the overflows into the AIO's filtration system. If underfilled the water will never make it into the filtration. You would want to test how much water the tank can hold after filling it to its normal functioning height.

Ask tons of questions here, but the recommended youtube videos can be very helpful and also prepare you for common issues or mistakes before they happen.
OK but do I have to fill the full 25 gallons? It can't be a little under?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

SpyC

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK but do I have to fill the full 25 gallons? It can't be a little under?
A tank will never hold the stated gallons because dimensions are taken from the outside edge if the glass instead of the inside. Then factor in sand, rock, pumps, other media. With rhat I can't really say how many gallons the tank will actually hold at the required operating level or maximum. This will take some testing or math that my recently napped brain cannot do at this time lol

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this thread. Asking is learning and learning from a group that has first-hand experience. I, myself am also considering a 60 AIO and I'm learning what people think about AIOs also.
See this was my thinking as well I'm doing tons of research, my eyes hurt yesterday I was on my computer almost the whole day but you can only learn so much from videos!

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The outside dimensions are less than 25 gallons. Taking the inside dimensions and subtracting sand, rock, etc, you have about 22 gallons of salt water
Thanks for the answers, my partners just so worried about an overflow I'm trying to take all precautions and have all the preventative equipment I can have to prevent one ( i do understand it still might happen but if I can prevent it I want to)

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank will never hold the stated gallons because dimensions are taken from the outside edge if the glass instead of the inside. Then factor in sand, rock, pumps, other media. With rhat I can't really say how many gallons the tank will actually hold at the required operating level or maximum. This will take some testing or math that my recently napped brain cannot do at this time lol
Thanks for the info I never knew this and I've been keeping fish for over 20 years! Awesome info

Nutramar Foods

Tcook

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info I never knew this and I've been keeping fish for over 20 years! Awesome info

Just start your AIO as is with manual top off and get the feel for everything. Add automation when/as each chore becomes a PIA.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Your Reef
Back