Half-Black Mimic Tang with brown/black spots

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1721423216818.png

...removed carbon + skimmer head & have the airstones going. I just dosed 44 ml...now we wait :face-with-spiral-eyes:

Immediate Observable Reactions
  • Fish are behaving normally just annoyed by the bubbles
  • Feather duster closed up (this is the only thing I'm expecting to lose)
  • LPS are closed up/pooping but it might be a result of increased flow + bubbles

Just a FYI - I used to tell folks that they should expect to see their feather dusters to die after a prazi dose, since they are a "worm" but I had never had dosed prazi with that species present myself (I always dose it in a treatment tank). With people reporting back to me, it seems that feather dusters will retract after a prazi dose, but won't die from it, unless there is some underlying issue. In doing some additional research, it turns out that prazi doesn't KILL worms, it just causes them to spasm for some time. With flukes, that means the worm drops off the fish, and then the flukes cannot reattach once the prazi dose has abated. With feather dusters, they stay in their tube and usually recover.

OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

Conqueror of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just a FYI - I used to tell folks that they should expect to see their feather dusters to die after a prazi dose, since they are a "worm" but I had never had dosed prazi with that species present myself (I always dose it in a treatment tank). With people reporting back to me, it seems that feather dusters will retract after a prazi dose, but won't die from it, unless there is some underlying issue. In doing some additional research, it turns out that prazi doesn't KILL worms, it just causes them to spasm for some time. With flukes, that means the worm drops off the fish, and then the flukes cannot reattach once the prazi dose has abated. With feather dusters, they stay in their tube and usually recover.
That's interesting info! I think I read somewhere that the flukes will spasm and fall off the fish and that's how they die (adults need I host from what I remember) and the 2nd treatment is primarily to take out any remaining eggs?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting info! I think I read somewhere that the flukes will spasm and fall off the fish and that's how they die (adults need I host from what I remember) and the 2nd treatment is primarily to take out any remaining eggs?
Yes, the second/third dose is to try and kill off any flukes hatching from eggs, but times so these flukes don’t have time to lay eggs on their own.

OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

Conqueror of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The corals look much better today but still a little irritated / not fully extended. A section of my zoas either melted or are super closed (not used to ever seeing them closed so that's probably what's going on).

The Mimic Tang does not have any black dots/marks on his body but he has a black chunk/spot on 1 of his left fin. All of the other fish seem fine and also ate yesterday evening.

A couple things I wanted to clarify:
  • Is it ok to put the Skimmer lid back on after 24 hours?
  • Is it ok to turn off the air bubblers after 72 hours if I'm still running my skimmer?
  • Do I add back my carbon 8 days after the 2nd dose?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The corals look much better today but still a little irritated / not fully extended. A section of my zoas either melted or are super closed (not used to ever seeing them closed so that's probably what's going on).

The Mimic Tang does not have any black dots/marks on his body but he has a black chunk/spot on 1 of his left fin. All of the other fish seem fine and also ate yesterday evening.

A couple things I wanted to clarify:
  • Is it ok to put the Skimmer lid back on after 24 hours?
  • Is it ok to turn off the air bubblers after 72 hours if I'm still running my skimmer?
  • Do I add back my carbon 8 days after the 2nd dose?
Yes, you can put the skimmer lid back on 24 hours after a dose.

I prefer to keep aeration running for the duration, it won’t hurt, and can sometimes help.

Some people do a 25% water change prior to the second dose, you can put the carbon back online 24 to 36 hours after any dose.

OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

Conqueror of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There's still a black spot on the Mimic's fin but his body looks spot free. Do you think I may have underdosed if it didn't initially fall off?

...also is it normal for nitrates to sudden drop like 5+ ppm?

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's still a black spot on the Mimic's fin but his body looks spot free. Do you think I may have underdosed if it didn't initially fall off?

...also is it normal for nitrates to sudden drop like 5+ ppm?

How many doses have you used?

If you used Prazipro, the glycol solvent used in that is essentially the same as carbon dosing, so oddly, it is possible for there to be a temporary drop in nitrate.

drbrivers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have treated this condition in tangs year ago using formalin dip with aeration. I believe it was 30 min dip with 1-2 ml/formalin per gallon with air stone aeration, repeated again 1 week later and if needed a third time another week later. Is this an old school treatment that has been superseded by Prazi Pro?

OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

Conqueror of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He is so difficult to take pictures of but he's looking so much better a week later. Thanks everyone for the help!

I am prepping my 20% water change and then I'll do the 2nd dose tomorrow after the water change. Planning to do slightly more than last time (46 ml vs 44 ml). No visible spots on him or anyone else and like 80% reduction in flashing incidents.

Aquarium May 2024-49.jpg
Aquarium May 2024-50.jpg
Aquarium May 2024-51.jpg
Aquarium May 2024-52.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How necessary is the water change after the 2nd dose?

My nutrients bottomed out from the bubbles/prazi and I'm hoping to stabilize things ASAP
The water change is ONLY needed to control nutrient loading from the solvent, the medication itself degrades quickly, in less than 36 hours. Since nutrients aren’t an issue for your tank, you can pass on the water change. How is the fish doing?

OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

Conqueror of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The water is ONLY needed to control nutrient loading from the solvent, the medication itself degrades quickly, in less than 36 hours. Since nutrients aren’t an issue for your tank, you can pass on the water change. How is the fish doing?
The mimic is doing great. No more flashing and no spots!

PXL_20240803_221210718.jpg

The rest of the tank is doing well too
PXL_20240803_004524529.jpg

Thanks again for all the help!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back