Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for recommendations on what kind generator (brand, size, wattage) to have for your aquarium(s) in the event of a power outage? It’s been out for 9 hours and they aren’t sure when it will be restored in my area. So I need to buy one now before things get worse. Thanks!

AS
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for recommendations on what kind generator (brand, size, wattage) to have for your aquarium(s) in the event of a power outage? It’s been out for 9 hours and they aren’t sure when it will be restored in my area. So I need to buy one now before things get worse. Thanks!
I hate to answer your inquiry with a wish-washy answer but it really depends on what you want to keep powered. If you’re looking for something that will run your whole tank then I’d recommend adding up how many watts you’re pulling and get a generator with slightly higher wattage than you will be drawing. If you’re not sure of your total wattage but do not have a big tank and still want to run the whole tank then you’re probably going to be safe with a generator rated around 10,000 watts. If you’re looking to power up only a heater and a couple of wave makers/power heads then a less powerful machine will be fine.

Some good suggestions above my post too.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

olonmv

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a predator 8750 inverter generator which when coupled with a soft start can run my entire house (major appliances are gas) 4 ton unit and all.

OfficeReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a few electric ones and rotate them out if there's an issue. I only run my power head however. Heater will make for an additional draw that I try to avoid.

The best way is plan for this in your home, that way you can be sure it's addressed.

ScottJ

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the power is out in your area, I would say get the generator you can get your hands on.

Then, once things get back to normal, seriously investigate a permanent whole house generator. We just invested in one. Worth every penny.

Wishing you the best of luck, by the way.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Reefering1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Caterpillar rp5500, it runs the tank and house a/c(3.5 ton), fridge, microwave, everything except oven and water heater. Gives about 15 hours of runtime on 5 gallons. That said, a inverter generator is the safe bet for sensitive equipment. It makes a clean sine wave output. With a traditional generator, the hz corresponds to engine rpm. I lost a ceiling fan and a grye pump when initially setting the engine rpm to my load. Any brushless or 3 phase motor is is susceptible to damage if the hz is too high(70hz or mor)

Mr4000

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you want is an inverter generator. They carry them at harbor freight. With that kind of generator you won't damage your electronics like a regular generator can. I will admit i ran a regular generator for years on my tank with no issues but i now use an inverter one. You can get a 3000 watt one if you just want to run your tank or as someone else suggested get the 9000 watt one and it will run most of your house.

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to answer your inquiry with a wish-washy answer but it really depends on what you want to keep powered. If you’re looking for something that will run your whole tank then I’d recommend adding up how many watts you’re pulling and get a generator with slightly higher wattage than you will be drawing. If you’re not sure of your total wattage but do not have a big tank and still want to run the whole tank then you’re probably going to be safe with a generator rated around 10,000 watts. If you’re looking to power up only a heater and a couple of wave makers/power heads then a less powerful machine will be fine.

Some good suggestions above my post too.
10k is the answer for most folks. Especially if your married and have kids. Just plugging up the tank and everything else is off will P them off a bit. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to give a recommendation without knowing about how much your tank uses. Do you happen to know how many breakers your tank is running off of?
Also if you’re getting a generator, I’d recommend you get it big enough to at least power a few other things in the house like a refrigerator.

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But in your situation you need to just get something. So I would run to harbor freight and get a cheap predator for the time being. Then sell it on FB Marketplace and get a better generator later. Around a 3k is probably all you need to get by.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a Generac 6500watt for about 15 years. Seemed like I used it at least once every year, sometimes 2-3 times.
Had it wired into the house circuits using a Gentran power switch.
Swapped it out for a Harbor Freight Predator 8750 about 8-9 years ago. Never have had a issue.
If you are going to get a generator, get one big enough to have a few comforts. Doesn't take that big of one to atleast have a way to cook food, a few lights and even tv.

AquaCave Logo Banner

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
be safe with a generator rated around 10,000
To give you an idea what 10kw can power. You can power you home A/C unit, a refrigerator, lights, and a TV at the same time.

For just the system, especially if you are using all DC pumps. I agree and suggest a small Honda generator, that will run your reef tank.

I bought a propane generator from Central Main Diesel. Burns cleaner, and no problems with storage and fuel going south.

Note:
If you by a gasoline engine generator, run ethanol free gasoline. Ethanol is really bad for small engines. It eats away at the rubber hoses, internal seals, and gum up the carburetor. Most of the time when your mower will not start, it is the ethanol in the gas that's messing up the carburetor.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To give you an idea what 10kw can power. You can power you home A/C unit, a refrigerator, lights, and a TV at the same time.

For just the system, especially if you are using all DC pumps. I agree and suggest a small Honda generator, that will run your reef tank.

I bought a propane generator from Central Main Diesel. Burns cleaner, and no problems with storage and fuel going south.

Note:
If you by a gasoline engine generator, run ethanol free gasoline. Ethanol is really bad for small engines. It eats away at the rubber hoses, internal seals, and gum up the carburetor. Most of the time when your mower will not start, it is the ethanol in the gas that's messing up the carburetor.
My generators are gas powered.
I only run clear gas ( ethanol free). It can be hard to find. I have 2 sources local to me.
I swap out my gas in the generator twice a year and run it on the house for about a half hour every spring and fall, even if it was used during the past season. Just routine maintenance.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That must be why my gas one stutters I never could figure out what was gummed
I have to run more choke to make it smooth now
so on the gas pumps they’ll say ethanol free/ if not listed then its got ethanol?

Avast

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My generators are gas powered.
I only run clear gas ( ethanol free). It can be hard to find. I have 2 sources local to me.
I swap out my gas in the generator twice a year and run it on the house for about a half hour every spring and fall, even if it was used during the past season. Just routine maintenance.
Wawa and Circle K is where I have been buying ethanol free here in Central Florida. Ethanol free is a premium but well worth it for small engines.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back