Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said! I have a feeling this tread is going to be locked, however. Hope we can have an good debate on this topic.

No one has criticized anyone here (that I have seen). I haven't mentioned any specific issues. If the thread is locked or deleted - I guess thats ok - but - at least it means it was read. I would have sent it in a PM to Revhtree - but he gets thousands. And - one of the reasons I asked about the hierarchy - was not to shoot anyone down - but I didnt know who to ask.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said! I have a feeling this tread is going to be locked, however. Hope we can have an good discussion about this topic.
well it's in the lounge, so as long as it stays on topic, friendly and no one attacks/picks on other members I see no reason why it would be locked

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well it's in the lounge, so as long as it stays on topic, friendly and no one attacks/picks on other members I see no reason why it would be locked

Thanks - And this is exactly part of the question - lets say 'someone attacks'... Shouldn't that person be held accountable - as compared to the entire thread? Again - I feel like im tiptoeing on eggshells here Like anything I say could be used against me lol:)

Again - I want to reiterate something. I love this site. I think the intentions are good. I think anyone that has to moderate a forum is probably a saint. I have no vendetta or complaint against anyone here. So @Shep I appreciate your response.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know of a recent situation this thread is in response to, and I was one of the people that reported the OP of that thread to get Mods support. Honestly, that whole thread should've been deleted. It was a thread started by someone in a bad mood from dealing with a common vendor. It's those situations that threads shouldn't be created. The OP of that thread should've stopped and taken a breather before posting. Instead it created a lot of angst and frustration for the OP and all who got involved.

Edit: I won't lie though, I got a good laugh from many of the responses I that thread too.

I Really did not like how that thread was handled. Mostly on the side of those responding to the thread and not the OP. People just assume that everyone is tech savvy and owns all the latest gear. That's not the case for ALOT of older people, my grandparents certainly don't have cell phones or cameras.

Clearly the OP was upset about the situation and people just antagonized it further. Which I think was the real issue, things got heated and I think everyone needed to just take a step back. I don't think it should have been moved and everyone's posts deleted, but that's just me.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Really did not like how that thread was handled. Mostly on the side of those responding to the thread and not the OP. People just assume that everyone is tech savvy and owns all the latest gear. That's not the case for ALOT of older people, my grandparents certainly don't have cell phones or cameras.

Clearly the OP was upset about the situation and people just antagonized it further. Which I think was the real issue, things got heated and I think everyone needed to just take a step back. I don't think it should have been moved and everyone's posts deleted, but that's just me.

Actually - its a policy - any thread complaining about 'a vendor' is supposed to be only between the vendor and the customer. Its moved to the vendor feedback column - and all of the responses are deleted. Actually - thats fine with me - no objection. But - then why are positives left in the forum they were posted in (i.e. not moved)?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - And this is exactly part of the question - lets say 'someone attacks'... Shouldn't that person be held accountable - as compared to the entire thread? Again - I feel like im tiptoeing on eggshells here Like anything I say could be used against me lol:)

Again - I want to reiterate something. I love this site. I think the intentions are good. I think anyone that has to moderate a forum is probably a saint. I have no vendetta or complaint against anyone here. So @Shep I appreciate your response.
Yes, that person would be held accountable and not the entire thread, the issue becomes when it spirals out of control and most responses are either off topic or attacking someone. If that happens, the thread gets locked. Could we just remove all the offending comments? Sure, but having to keep coming back to the thread and remove comments becomes very time consuming and we all have lives out of R2R so we lock it and move on. Never has one comment gotten a thread locked

JoshH

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually - its a policy - any thread complaining about 'a vendor' is supposed to be only between the vendor and the customer. Its moved to the vendor feedback column - and all of the responses are deleted. Actually - thats fine with me - no objection. But - then why are positives left in the forum they were posted in (i.e. not moved)?

Well that's where things get tricky, as clearly he had already reached out to the vendor and in his mind got nowhere. I feel it wasn't a thread he, or anyone else for that matter, expected the vendor to answer. I haven't seen that particular vendor on this forum since I started anyway.

And I'm well versed in the policies surrounding vendor feedback threads and to me that thread didn't quite meet the criteria. Obviously this is subjective from one person to another and there in lies the issue.

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never had any problems of any kind on this site. I pretty much come on here mostly everyday sometimes to see if a thread catches my eye or to post a question or just to welcome people here. Life is too short , lets try to enjoy it as much as we can

JoshH

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that person would be held accountable and not the entire thread, the issue becomes when it spirals out of control and most responses are either off topic or attacking someone. If that happens, the thread gets locked. Could we just remove all the offending comments? Sure, but having to keep coming back to the thread and remove comments becomes very time consuming and we all have lives out of R2R so we lock it and move on. Never has one comment gotten a thread locked

Remember I'm watching you, I know you spend day and night on R2R! ;Watching;Watching;Watching;Watching

hart24601

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a fine line to walk, I came here from RC firstly because I found RC members became quite nasty to people. Imo maybe overmoderation will cause some good members to walk away, personally that is fine with me, at this point in my life I don't want drama even with my forum hobbies. It's a shame good folk leave, but others come. There are only a handful of indispensable Randys-like reefers out there and they dont tend to get involved in drama anyway.

Antics

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people come to forums for reefing because of the common question "Whats wrong with my fish?!". The fact Humble has moved over to RC is unsettling to me. A pillar of this site has left it for various/assorted reasons and I don't think its necessarily an attitude problem but the focus on the forum has seemed to be off for a couple months to say the least.

I don't really have a solution to offer but the R2R focus on things like a makeover and market place seem to be the priority over the experience right now.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people come to forums for reefing because of the common question "Whats wrong with my fish?!". The fact Humble has moved over to RC is unsettling to me. A pillar of this site has left it for various/assorted reasons and I don't think its necessarily an attitude problem but the focus on the forum has seemed to be off for a couple months to say the least.

I don't really have a solution to offer but the R2R focus on things like a makeover and market place seem secondary to the experience right now.

The point of my post - 'something seems different' - and to me - its not a positive. However - I love the site. I think the intentions are good - and again - if this had to do with one person (Humble) I would have said it. It does not - I don't go to RC - so I dont know whether he is there or not. But 'something seems different'

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe we need a thread called " Welcome to charm school, where anyone and everyone is welcomed." Not bad, right?
Forgot, this thread would teach us proper etiquette on this site and give remainders too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe we need a thread called " Welcome to charm school, where anyone and everyone is welcomed." Not bad, right?

Perhaps that would do it LOL:). I would be the first student. That said - I hope this thread doesnt turn into the glitter thing the other one did :)

AS
OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point of my post - 'something seems different' - and to me - its not a positive. However - I love the site. I think the intentions are good - and again - if this had to do with one person (Humble) I would have said it. It does not - I don't go to RC - so I dont know whether he is there or not. But 'something seems different'

Actually - I lied. I would be afraid of being banned if I said it had to do with someone specific. This is what seems different. (It still doesn't apply to humble or anyone else) - but I would never say if it did. Its funny - and I think I just figured out what the issue is - its everyone 'trying' to 'not offend' anyone - People that say ludicrous things are not called out. Its like everyone getting a participation medal in soccer. I may be in the wrong here - totally - in other words - maybe honesty is not the best policy (or directness). But to me - 'somethings different'

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember I'm watching you, I know you spend day and night on R2R! ;Watching;Watching;Watching;Watching
You can run, you can hide, but you can't escape my.....

Last edited:

JoshH

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately - its against policy to use vulgarity - or simulated vulgarity:):)

;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

Seriously though I do agree that the problem seems to be that just like in real life politics, were stuck in the "Try and make everyone happy" loop. Which let's just face it, doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
PremiumAquatics.com
Back