Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, so I want to add some more fish to my 32 gallon. I moved my 2 clowns to another tank, and now only have 2 chalk bass, a small possum wrasse, and small red head goby. I added the possum wrasse after the basslets were established, and they really don’t care about him what so ever.
I want to add an orchid dottyback but I’m worried the big basslet might bully him.
a royal gramma would be cool instead, but I think a gramma is riskier
Does anyone have experience with chalk bass and dottybacks? any other suggestions?

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your worried the chalk bass will bully the dottyback? I think it would be the other way around.
My chalk bass is buddies with the RG.
IME it is a timid fish so would get along with peaceful fish like gobies.

OP
OP
Cantusaurus

Cantusaurus

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your worried the chalk bass will bully the dottyback? I think it would be the other way around.
My chalk bass is buddies with the RG.
IME it is a timid fish so would get along with peaceful fish like gobies.
I actually pulled the trigger and got an orchid yesterday. I know chalk bass can be a a bit territorial, and I was a bit worried that they would gang up on a newly introduced dottyback. I’m not too worried about the Orchid Dottyback (hopefully I don’t regret saying that), but I have heard captive bred orchids are the most peaceful. And the orchid is not too big at all, so I don’t think the chalk bass will put up with any aggression if there is any.

OP
OP
Cantusaurus

Cantusaurus

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In time, your red head goby will be a meal for the chalk bass
The chalk bass aren’t super big and they didn’t even pay him any attention when I added the goby a couple months ago and the goby was stressed. Also the goby is very fat and healthy. Hardly ever leaves the sand, and he’ll get bigger. The cleaner gobies always get a bit bigger than you’d like expect. I highly doubt he’ll get eaten tbh.

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chalk bass aren’t super big and they didn’t even pay him any attention when I added the goby a couple months ago and the goby was stressed. Also the goby is very fat and healthy. Hardly ever leaves the sand, and he’ll get bigger. The cleaner gobies always get a bit bigger than you’d like expect. I highly doubt he’ll get eaten tbh.
Along in the tank with the chalk and RG is a sharknose goby, they've gotten along for the last 9 months.

My LFS has red heads on sale this weekend so I already bought mine online, I'll get it Tuesday. That will be the last fish for that tank.

My tank is a 15 gallon Caribbean themed tank, these 4 fish are from the Caribbean. My wife is from Caribbean, I made this tank to try to get her somewhat interested but she still couldnt care less. I like it though.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Cantusaurus

Cantusaurus

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along in the tank with the chalk and RG is a sharknose goby, they've gotten along for the last 9 months.

My LFS has red heads on sale this weekend so I already bought mine online, I'll get it Tuesday. That will be the last fish for that tank.

My tank is a 15 gallon Caribbean themed tank, these 4 fish are from the Caribbean. My wife is from Caribbean, I made this tank to try to get her somewhat interested but she still couldnt care less. I like it though.
That is cool! Yeah, I wish Im going to buy a second red head goby soon. They’re so cool. Neon/shark nose gobies for some reason never make it in my tank :( I have no clue why.
that’s a cool concept though, a caribbean reef tank!
I saw some massive neon and yellow line gobies when I snorkeled in the keys! They’re so cool. Are you or going to add corals to it? Or have you already?

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Buckeye
Back