Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the minimum tank size for a chalk bass? I've been reading online that~ 30 gallons is the minimum but as far as I can tell, they grow to the same size as Royal Gramma which is regularly suggested for 10-15 gallons.

Would a Chalk Bass be appropriate in a 12 gallon with a yellow coral goby and a tailspot blenny?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the minimum tank size for a chalk bass? I've been reading online that~ 30 gallons is the minimum but as far as I can tell, they grow to the same size as Royal Gramma which is regularly suggested for 10-15 gallons.

Would a Chalk Bass be appropriate in a 12 gallon with a yellow coral goby and a tailspot blenny?
I would say no.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Z

zdrc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes. although the size of a fish isn't a perfect determinant for its tank size
Yeah, I was under the impression that Royal Gramma and Chalk Bass were pretty similar in their behavior too (apart from the fact that royal gramma can't be housed in groups).

I wouldn't put anything in 12g. My chalk bass tends to use about 2 foot x 2 foot (~50g).
I'd like a bigger tank too, but apartment living and regular moving makes that hard. I may upgrade to ~35 gal AIO sometime in the next year (I like the look of the waterbox 35.2 AIO). Would you think that would be sufficient for a chalk bass? Have you kept them in a group? They're supposed to be a pretty amicable fish.

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
Z

zdrc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chalk bass get surprisingly big. I have seen many that were 2+”. Georgia aquarium has a few displays with gorgeous looking chalk bass. They are calm fish and prefer to be in groups.
According to FishBase, the maximum length of Chalk Bass is 8 cm, identical to the maximum measured length of Royal Gramma. This is about 3" so definitely 2+" is possible. I wonder if people are a bit misled about the minimum tank size for Royal Gramma.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Torch SALE
Back