Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that Chalk basslet are reef safe but my ate Nemo.. I added a group of 6 Chalk bass a while back and now only have a couple left (about 2" each). My wife wanted a bunch of nemo in the tank so I decided to add 5 more (less than 1" each) with the 3 already in the tank (2" each). after acclimation I added the clownfish to the tank (Rea Sea 750 XXL) and immediately the chalk bass start stocking them.. I felt a bit weird about this so I went to get the net and when I got back with the net in hand I can see that one of the clown fish inside the mouth of the Chalkbass. I turn around to get the phone to take a picture and when I turned back 1 nemo can be seen as a bump in the stomach and the rest never to be seen again..

Is this normal? should I added anymore fishes?

currently have
purple tang
yellow tang
hippo tang
2 chalk
sixlines
royal gamma
watchman
sailfin goby
10 chromis
2 cleanner shrimp
CUC

Top Shelf Aquatics

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef-safe and fish-safe are two different things. I agree that a lot of the information out there is a bit misleading - as many guides label it as friendly, peaceful, etc. They can (and apparently will) on occasion prey upon much smaller fish - so if you're going to keep these I wouldn't add anything smaller. You may want to look at rehoming your chalk bass if you continue to experience fish disappearances.

Cheese Griller

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the saying goes, if it can fit in another fish's mouth, it will probably end up there! Especially with larger mouthed fishes like chalk bass. When I used to keep freshwater fish I had a 14" peacock bass try to eat an odoe pike that was at least 3/4 of its size. Very expensive lesson.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
coralsandfishes

coralsandfishes

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chalk bass have a max size of 3 inches. I've have had one for over a year that is close to that size and I can't imaging it fitting another dish in its mouth even a 1 inch clown. :thinking-face:
I was really surprise... I wish I was a bit quicker with the phone... the clownfish was in sideway too.. showing the stripes and all..

Nutramar Foods
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock and Live Sand
Back