Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also get Pajama cardinals those are less fun to watch cause they just hang in the water floating still but they are cool. A little school of 3-4 is a great idea and fun to watch imoView attachment 3144066
My parents really want Cardinals! I've yet to show them pj Cardinals though. I love them.

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another great option are lawnmower blennies. Similar to gobies, however they actually are useful in the fact that they eat/graze on algae. Plus they look super cute and derpy, and are actually pretty smart (compared to other fish lol). They kinda just chill on rocks, and they swim really funnily.
They dont eat any corals or anything and look super funny!
1683738897409.png

OP
OP
M

mushrommy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another great option are lawnmower blennies. Similar to gobies, however they actually are useful in the fact that they eat/graze on algae. Plus they look super cute and derpy, and are actually pretty smart (compared to other fish lol). They kinda just chill on rocks, and they swim really funnily.
They dont eat any corals or anything and look super funny!
View attachment 3144072
I had one but picked a sick one without knowing. my dad is advising me not to try one again but I never listen and is saving for another one!

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on your skill level and tank age you can also get mandarin dragonets but they eat live copepods and are a bit harder to care for, and need an established tank but those could be an option in the future.
Another one is the blue dot jawfish which is similar to gobies but doesnt need a pistol shrimp. They do change rockwork sometimes though, so you would need to move around your rocks a bit. But they arent too crazy with digging, they dont dig elaborate passages like pistol shrimp they will just dig a house and stay there. Its super cool.
You could also maybe get a flame hawkfish those are cool. They hang out on sps and on hard corals and perch a lot, but they are also bright red which is pretty cool and unique.
1683739122819.png
1683739135230.png
1683739150576.png

Cool thing about these fish is that they are really pretty and other than the dragonet are easy to care for

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I heard food can go scarce with cleaner wrasses, which is unfortunate because they're so entertaining:crying-face: big sad
Mine eats everything in sight. I had mine 8 years

jkcoral

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we are talking cheap, it’s hard to beat a tailspot blenny. Every one I’ve had has been entertaining, and my current one definitely gives me the best laughs per dollar ratio in the tank.

Slightly more expensive, Pygmy geometric hawk fish are also awesome and pretty funny. And if you’re traveling into the $100 neighborhood, yellow banded possum wrasses are really entertaining. They have a reputation for being shy, but I’ve had several that are very outgoing. My favorite possum thinks he’s a pelagic fish or a king fish or something, because he’s always rolling over the top of the reef cruising.

Last edited:

fullinfusion

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy is one of my favorites.. he's an orchard dottyback. We named him Cheeky! He can be a cheeky little fellow when he wants to be which is generally all the time. He's not as extravagant as some of the other members posting their ideas but for me and my current situation waiting on my new tank he is housed with two small clowns. They all have their own personalities but this guy literally makes me crack up all the time. He can also work on my nerves as well.

I constantly need to shush him away when I'm spot feeding corals. Sometimes I'll give my zoas a meaty treats of some mysis and also my big hairy mushroom. The zoas close right up to enjoy their meal and cheeky will constantly circle his prey and I've caught him a number of times stealing food from the mouths of the zoas LOL.

He adds nice color to the tank and has lots of movement in and out of the rocks and he's a very curious fellow observing everything outside of his glass box.

Sorry I rambled on enough but here's what he looks like.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230510_122709_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230510_122709_Gallery.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
M

mushrommy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on your skill level and tank age you can also get mandarin dragonets but they eat live copepods and are a bit harder to care for, and need an established tank but those could be an option in the future.
Another one is the blue dot jawfish which is similar to gobies but doesnt need a pistol shrimp. They do change rockwork sometimes though, so you would need to move around your rocks a bit. But they arent too crazy with digging, they dont dig elaborate passages like pistol shrimp they will just dig a house and stay there. Its super cool.
You could also maybe get a flame hawkfish those are cool. They hang out on sps and on hard corals and perch a lot, but they are also bright red which is pretty cool and unique. View attachment 3144082View attachment 3144085View attachment 3144086
Cool thing about these fish is that they are really pretty and other than the dragonet are easy to care for
My tank is 20 years old! I don't have copepods though but I do have a ton of small and large amphipods.

OP
OP
M

mushrommy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we are talking cheap, it’s hard to beat a tailspot blenny. Every one I’ve had has been entertaining, and my current one definitely gives me the best laughs per dollar ratio in the tank.

Slightly more expensive, Pygmy geometric hawk fish are also awesome and pretty funny. And if you’re traveling into the $100 neighborhood, yellow banded possum wrasses are really entertaining. They have a reputation for being shy, but I’ve had several that are very outgoing. My favorite possum thinks he’s a pelagic fish or a king fish or something, because he’s always rolling over the top of the reef cruising.
blenny are the pure entertaining fish.

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tail Spot Blenny. They park in there cave like backing up a bus. Beautiful fish.

Agree about the tailspot blenny. If you want price-to-personality ratio, hard to beat. LOT of personality in a tiny $30 fish!

Nutramar Foods

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
because my tank is 20 years old and has a ton of amphipods, I'm thinking about seahorses or pipe fish. Is this good for a 20-year-old 47-gallon tank?
Yes! However if you have any stinging corals such as hammers, torches, or anemones as well, they can hurt, stress, or even kill a seahorse or pipefish. Also, Clownfish should be okay with the seahorses, but i would do some research on people who had clownfish with seahorses. I know there have been a few. Fast moving fish are worse for seahorses and pipefish, because they will scare them and stress them, causing them to get sick and die in some occasions

OP
OP
M

mushrommy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm soon getting a bta. will it hurt it to the point of death? I have very low rockwork so will it even touch it?
Yes! However if you have any stinging corals such as hammers, torches, or anemones as well, they can hurt, stress, or even kill a seahorse or pipefish. Also, Clownfish should be okay with the seahorses, but i would do some research on people who had clownfish with seahorses. I know there have been a few. Fast moving fish are worse for seahorses and pipefish, because they will scare them and stress them, causing them to get sick and die in some occasions

AquaCave Logo Banner
Avast

jkcoral

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the cheapest fish, but they are so cute just to looking at them. View attachment 3144232

That is an awesome picture.

They are definitely cute, except for when they perch upside down under and arch and stare at you with judgmental eyes haha.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back