Experienced Hydros users help!

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently building a system in my basement. My current tank was never ran from a controller. I actually have never owned one or even really seen one in detail.

I’d like to build a Hydros controller system on my new build. So here’s my question. In preparation for Maven, I want to start acquiring the right pieces that work best (based on your experience) with the Hydros controller.

Things like

Return pump, power heads, dosing pumps, skimmer, ATO…

My assumption is some products are easier or seem to pair better with the controller. Just curious as to everybody’s opinions

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for powerheads I use the icecap gyres with the wave engine that connects to the hydros.

For ATO I use the hydros ATO.

My return pump, doser, lights, and skimmer are all plugged into the hydros, but I use the individual apps to control them.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but I use DIY lighting but it is controlled using my Hydros. I have a Sicce return pump that is controlled by my Hydros. My skimmer is an AC pump and is on the XP8. My two heaters are also on the XP8. I also have a Kraken, 2 X10's and X3, XS and a WEv2 at the tank. The WEv2 controls my 2 MP10's but they are pre Mobius and I had a RF module from my ReefLink to use in the WEv2 to control them. My mixing station and RODI unit are in the garage and I have several controllers there to control my RODI unit, AWC and ATO pumps. The RODI auto fills the DI reservoir when it gets low using the Hydros. The Hydros will also transfer the contents of the mix tank to the fresh saltwater reservoir when it goes low and the mix tank contents is ready to use. Once the transfer completes it refills the mix tank from the RODI. All I have to do is add the salt mix and press a button when it is ready to use. So it really depends on what you want to do what controllers you will need to accomplish it. If you want to start with one and add to it the Launch is a good starting point since it has 4 AC outlets, 4 drive ports and 4 sense ports. It also has a pH or ORP port and a salinity port. there is also a port with 4 0-10v inputs. The Launch and X10's are the only controllers at this time that have a salinity port so if you are going to want that then your collective will need either a X10 or Launch in it with the other controllers you choose. As far as flow pump if I were replacing my MP10's I would probably get the Octo Pulse 2's and use them from the direct drive ports on the WEv2.

Gk5321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydros has a great support team by the way. If you email them they get back to you right away. They also have their own forum.

Magic031707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have a Facebook page..lot of experienced folks with hydros and hydros answer quick also

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention that Hydros has dosing pumps but basically any pump that you can set to flow at a specific amount and will run when powered will also work. I just would not use them off of a wifi power strip outlet. Use a XP8 for AC or a drive port for 12v. The Hydros pumps are the simple doser that runs off a drive port and runs at 43ml a minute. There is an AC pump that runs at 2ml a minute. Then there is the Minnow controller that has 2 dosing pumps built into it that is bi directional at 25, 40 or 55ml a minute. It also has 4 sense ports. Then there is the X10 controller with 4 dosing pumps built into it that can run from .1-100ml a minute in either direction. It also has 4 sense ports, 2 drive ports, 1 pH or ORP port and 1 salinity port. Then for last there is the Sole which is bi direction and can run at .1 to 300ml a minute. The Minnow and Sole pumps can be set to a specific flow rate and set to continuous use . It then can be turn on and off using another output using the depends on settings. I currently do this with one I use for my ATO pump. The Sole is a new controller with pump that is due out soon.

Gk5321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention that Hydros has dosing pumps but basically any pump that you can set to flow at a specific amount and will run when powered will also work. I just would not use them off of a wifi power strip outlet. Use a XP8 for AC or a drive port for 12v. The Hydros pumps are the simple doser that runs off a drive port and runs at 43ml a minute. There is an AC pump that runs at 2ml a minute. Then there is the Minnow controller that has 2 dosing pumps built into it that is bi directional at 25, 40 or 55ml a minute. It also has 4 sense ports. Then there is the X10 controller with 4 dosing pumps built into it that can run from .1-100ml a minute in either direction. It also has 4 sense ports, 2 drive ports, 1 pH or ORP port and 1 salinity port. Then for last there is the Sole which is bi direction and can run at .1 to 300ml a minute. The Minnow and Sole pumps can be set to a specific flow rate and set to continuous use . It then can be turn on and off using another output using the depends on settings. I currently do this with one I use for my ATO pump. The Sole is a new controller with pump that is due out soon.
I wish I had known some of the downsides of the WiFi power strip. I should’ve gone with the wired one.

Gk5321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you having an issue with a wifi power strip?
Not really an issue. I just have a lot of things automated and the devices are plugged into the WiFi strip. Couple that with my rentals crappy internet and it makes for a lot of issues with lost connections. Like heaters not turning on or off. I have my WiFi on a backup power supply now but this is just on my little tank that I’m using to learn before I upgrade.

AdamD76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really an issue. I just have a lot of things automated and the devices are plugged into the WiFi strip. Couple that with my rentals crappy internet and it makes for a lot of issues with lost connections. Like heaters not turning on or off. I have my WiFi on a backup power supply now but this is just on my little tank that I’m using to learn before I upgrade.
I had crappy internet but my wifi strip never messed up any of the schedules. I thought it just needed wifi for uploading downloading schedules and such.

Gk5321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had crappy internet but my wifi strip never messed up any of the schedules. I thought it just needed wifi for uploading downloading schedules and such.
It’s more so an issue with turning on and off my heater based on the temperature probe. If the controller can’t reach the strip with bad WiFi/wifi that’s offline or whatever then the heater stays off/on.

AdamD76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s more so an issue with turning on and off my heater based on the temperature probe. If the controller can’t reach the strip with bad WiFi/wifi that’s offline or whatever then the heater stays off/on.
I see.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my own router so internet dropping is not an issue with the wifi. The wifi will continue to work. Some ISP provided routers will not work if they loose connection with the ISP. Not sure on yours but the wifi strip will stay in whatever state it is in until the communication resumes. I had no issue with heaters on a wifi strip but my heaters also have their own thermostat and will turn off if the temp gets that high.

Gk5321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my own router so internet dropping is not an issue with the wifi. The wifi will continue to work. Some ISP provided routers will not work if they loose connection with the ISP. Not sure on yours but the wifi strip will stay in whatever state it is in until the communication resumes. I had no issue with heaters on a wifi strip but my heaters also have their own thermostat and will turn off if the temp gets that high.
Yeah it’s probably my ISPs router losing connection and stopping WiFi all together. Regardless, I now know what to do to make it a bit more robust for my next tank. Although, I may actually do something custom with my own PLC. I’m a controls engineer and kind of want to do my own thing at this point.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it’s probably my ISPs router losing connection and stopping WiFi all together. Regardless, I now know what to do to make it a bit more robust for my next tank. Although, I may actually do something custom with my own PLC. I’m a controls engineer and kind of want to do my own thing at this point.
Even with my own router I do not use the wifi strips for ATO, AWC or dosing. That is all done on drive ports or using controllers with built in dosing pumps. I did use a wifi strip for my return, skimmer and heaters for a while and did not have any issues. The heaters also had their own thermostats that were set about 3 degrees above the Hydros settings. So the built in thermostat serves as a backup. I now have an XP8 and all that is on it now. When I started with the Hydros the XP8 was not available.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back