Hydros AWC

Reef Hub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done AWC on both systems. Deftly recommend it on Hydros versus Apex. Neptune AWC does not include low/high sensors out of the box for AWC. You calibrate the pump heads and hope for the best. The issue here comes in when there is head pressure. It’s not so much an issue as draining/removing the water from the system but when most people introduce head pressure when refilling the system. Say for example you change 2500ml a day. You’ll end up removing 2500 ml but when you refill you are actually only doing 2000ml when head pressure is accounted for.

Hydros uses low/high sensors for AWC. The high sensor is also your ATO sensor. During AWC the ATO is disabled, water drains until low sensor is triggered and then the system is refilled until the high sensor is triggered. Much more stable on your water parameters long term.

I also did a video on my YouTube channel covering Hydros AWC if you’d like to check it out.
Link to my channel is in my signature.

Good luck and happy reefing!

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Apex and DOS at about 88feet away and works really well
(not setup right now due to tank change but have the lines ready to go)

Mjm1121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydros super cheap and easy to set up don’t try and use regular dosing pumps for that large of volume. Get high volume perilistic pumps. Not silent but cheap and easy to replace mine have been going for over a year with no problems.

Peristaltic Pump, 500mL/min Large Flow Peristaltic Pump Made of 304 Stainless Steel with Transparent PC Head(12V) https://a.co/d/1dr3oJf

I bought two of these one for drain one for fill. 32$ on Amazon and then I ordered two plugs for them. Get two of their water sensors one for ATO level and one for low level (you can also put it on a timer)

Use one of their 40$ WiFi plugs to turn the pumps on and off.

Super easy.

I do a few gallons a day on my 300 gallon tank.

Let me know if you want pictures.
This seems like the most straightforward option to my simple brain lol. Planning my first reef tank nowhere near your volume but would love some pics if you can. It’s a 48g tank, so not sure to what extent automation is worth it with a smaller tank, but would like to make things as hands free as possible. Thanks!

alindell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to add an AWC system to my new tank using a controller and am having the age old debate of hydros vs. apex. Currently Im more interested in hydros overall as a controller system but it seems that more people use apex with DOS for AWC. Does anyone have opinions on using hydros with their AWC set up?
Never used hydros. Heard good things. Apex seems to work fine.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems like the most straightforward option to my simple brain lol. Planning my first reef tank nowhere near your volume but would love some pics if you can. It’s a 48g tank, so not sure to what extent automation is worth it with a smaller tank, but would like to make things as hands free as possible. Thanks!
I have a 42 gallon tank and use the 2 pumps on a Minnow for AWC but since they are Hydros smart dosing pumps I used a schedule and setup the amount I want changed out per day in ml and spread it out to run 4 times a day. At one time ai was doing 750ml at a time. I used another output to halt the ATO while either the drain or fill pump was running but my ATO is controlled by Hydros also. It is also a dosing pump. I used dosing pumps since my reservoirs are in my garage and the tank is 35ft away from the garage so the tubing is run up through the attic between the tank and garage.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back