Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely lights and power heads... After quite some time lurking, I recently decided to jump into the hobby not realizing how expensive everything is. I’m well over five figures on my build list and I still have yet to purchase my 120” tank, aluminum stand, and sump :face-with-head-bandage:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many lights feel like a total rip off as they seem to be poorly made

Apex releasing that EB32 with the crappy part in it. Couldn’t even be bothered to put a meanwell PSU in it even thought the controller is like the heartbeat of an aquarium and not something you want failing…

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

BillFish Coral Lover

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights.

Lights are an absolute rip off.

Think about all of the LEDs in a television and the controllers required to power them.

A 65 inch OLED TV has 8,294,400 pixels (3840 x 2160).

Each pixel requires 3 LEDs (R,B,G) in OLED

Total LEDs 24,883,200

Won't even think about 4K or 8K and we'll throw in smart TV and audio for free.

Cost of TV $1,500 - 2,000 depending on brand, model, etc.

Now I realize this is apples to oranges, but surely a reef light with say 72 LED's total should sell for a lot less than what we see today. Heck, even the bargain lights like Nicrew which sells for about $200 are overpriced.

TV cost per LED $0.00008037551
Bargain Reef cost per LED $2.77777777777

A close second is the cost of Skimmers and Roller filters. Go there some other time.
Bravo!

BillFish Coral Lover

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights, lights, lights.

Sure, you can light a beautiful FOWLR tank with no problem, but you can’t have corals without spending a lot of money.

Next are the controllers, because after you have your basic setup now you’d like to make things a little easier and maybe use your energy on geting more detailed in your reefkeeping. But you have to pay an absolute fortune for all the modules you’d want.

The light manufacturers are making a stupid profit, though….

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most anything in the hobby has become just that. I have a clue being an LFS retailer on the profit margins, but it is those profits that keep them in business and us able to get goods. They could however be Price friendlier instead of absorbitant.
I don’t believe the lfs have a big margin as so much of the stuff has map pricing. But I agree I want a 15 gallon ato reservoir and I can buy an all in one display for less than ato reservoir

Ol’ Dog Trey

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have controllers, lights, skimmers, scrubbers, tank ensembles available to us.
What is the one component you wish prices would come down on making it more affordable and meet your wish list?
For me- good test equipment such as Hanna master and even seneye
ALL OF IT!!!

Rusty_L_Shackleford

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I only use Hanna for Phos. I am colorblind and I just cant read any of the phos kits. I normally can see the color change pretty easy on Salifert.
Same. I have a really hard time with a lot of alk tests so i went with the hanah for that one. Calcium and mag i can read just fine.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Fishy Jacket

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most anything in the hobby has become just that. I have a clue being an LFS retailer on the profit margins, but it is those profits that keep them in business and us able to get goods. They could however be Price friendlier instead of absorbitant.
I really have no issue with LFS margins. As you say, they have costs/overheads to deal with in a relatively low volume situation. Not to mention the time/effort they spend helping/educating people new to the hobby. As far as thier pricing, easy to compare to on-line to see what premium you are paying for that service/help.

However venture capital bought out manufactures and high volume on-line distributor/retailers...that is a different story. I believe many of those are trying to expand their margins. For example, seems recently more jacked up retail pricing combined with heavier promotional strategy. That just means we are being ripped off and probably a little bit foolish if we buy anything at regular price.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep money out of company hands by buying used/second hand. They don’t see a penny on a new sale when I reuse someone else’s stuff.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until companies change their MAP policies, prices in general won't budge. For example, Neptune made a model upgrade to the apex and it kept the MAP price higher, as the A2 apexes were 6 years old last year. They stopped offering all previous model apexes, and now only the new, more expensive models. This locks in higher prices, and some retailers cannot get them at wholesale until after they made their money on the new models.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I needed to replace the pads on my mag float recently. My jaw hit the floor when I saw how much they have gone up since I bought mine a year ago. I paid $99 for my large one then and I thought it was ridiculous. The same one today is $159.00. Granted I use it alot on 2 large tanks but that's just crazy. I saw a post where someone paid $400 for a lid to fit a reefer 350. I paid that just 18 months ago for a 625xxl. I sold all of my Hanna kits except for alk and switched to salifert. It's the ongoing cost of those that gets you that most people don't consider. I'm moving in the next year or so and have no plans to move my tanks. Selling them and keeping equipment I can use on a new tank. I'm going to order an IM 150 lagoon for the new place and I'm seriously considering ordering it now and letting it sit in the crate until we move to avoid paying more next year.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Reef Altitude

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I needed to replace the pads on my mag float recently. My jaw hit the floor when I saw how much they have gone up since I bought mine a year ago. I paid $99 for my large one then and I thought it was ridiculous. The same one today is $159.00. Granted I use it alot on 2 large tanks but that's just crazy. I saw a post where someone paid $400 for a lid to fit a reefer 350. I paid that just 18 months ago for a 625xxl. I sold all of my Hanna kits except for alk and switched to salifert. It's the ongoing cost of those that gets you that most people don't consider. I'm moving in the next year or so and have no plans to move my tanks. Selling them and keeping equipment I can use on a new tank. I'm going to order an IM 150 lagoon for the new place and I'm seriously considering ordering it now and letting it sit in the crate until we move to avoid paying more next year.
The made to order is a great deal if you have about 10 sqft of warehouse space laying around and can lift 500 lbs whenever.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The made to order is a great deal if you have about 10 sqft of warehouse space laying around and can lift 500 lbs whenever.
I have the space and can move it when needed. This is one of those times where a minimalist lifestyle is advantageous. lol

Nutramar Foods

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the space and can move it when needed. This is one of those times where a minimalist lifestyle is advantageous. lol

Just be carful that a year later.. you open that crate and find it damage or a bubbled seam or something that couldn't be seen in storage.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Dinkins Aquatic Gardens
Back