Emergency-Watchman Goby with cloudy, peeling eyes?!

Jennduhh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stg,
I know there is a learning curve, but I feel like I run into something new every day.

I have a watchman goby, been in the tank about a month that I just noticed yesterday has slightly cloudy eyes. Per recommendation, I did a 5 minute freshwater dip to check for flukes & other parasites, & then returned him to the tank.

Theyre worse today. They almost look like they've popped or they're peeling & I feel horrible. It seems he can still see because he backs away when I get close to the glass, but that's got to be horribly painful.

Everything g I've read has said infection or bad water params, but params are all well within reason & my 2 clowns as well as all other inhabitants are completely fine.
Params:
Salinity 1.025ppm
Alk
Ph 8.2
Phosphate 0.01
Ammonia 0.01(fed about 20min prior)

How do I help him?! I feel so bad.

Pic attached, but it isn't the best.

20240901_214426.jpg

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't see most flukes to the naked eye.

Is it only on his eyes? no mucus on the body?

I would treat with Erythromycin in a hospital tank assuming this is just on the eyes. My guess is an infection and excess mucus production but sometimes the cause of that is flukes. Usually an injury is just one eye.

OP
OP
J

Jennduhh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't see most flukes to the naked eye.

Is it only on his eyes? no mucus on the body?

I would treat with Erythromycin in a hospital tank assuming this is just on the eyes. My guess is an infection and excess mucus production but sometimes the cause of that is flukes. Usually an injury is just one eye.
I did check him & the bowl with a magnifying glass when I did the dip & there was no sign of flukes, but I guess it could still be.
It is just the eyes, nothing on the body. I'll pick up some erythromycin today.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did check him & the bowl with a magnifying glass when I did the dip & there was no sign of flukes, but I guess it could still be.
It is just the eyes, nothing on the body. I'll pick up some erythromycin today.

I will @Jay Hemdal to make sure I am on the right track here.

Common I see bulgding eyes or cloudy eyes but this almost looks like the fish overproducing mucus around the eyes. Makes me think there is some sort of irritant or infection going on.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back